Mechanical Fuel Pump

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump

Post by Gregs672000 »

^ Wow, couldn't have said it better! Follow all that good advice! Fuel in the oil reduces the oils ability to protect the engine, so it must be changed now. Just buy the cheapest 10/40 until we figure out what's causing the problem in case it gets fouled again. I do believe the mechanical pump can leak into the block, but I'm not sure and need to confirm with others. The carbs may be set rich, or the ignition is not firing consistently... we still don't know. Usually when it's too rich it drops rpms, it chugs, and blackish smoke comes out the tail pipe before it dies. Read up on the carbs and how they work/adjust. The dial on the bottom controls idle mix (for one)... tightening it leans them. Confirm good spark. Keep asking questions and posting results... we'll get it!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
jasmith1975
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jasmith1975 »

Thank you both so much for the additional detail (as well as the humor)! The latter was definitely needed after struggling with this issue for several weeks. I'm back in town and will provide an update after working through the steps this week. Thanks again for the help and stay tuned (pun intended)!
'68 Datsun 2000
Wannabe mechanic near Buffalo, NY
jasmith1975
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jasmith1975 »

It's been a long, unexpected hiatus and I'm getting caught up and back on a normal routine. Which also means working on the roadster.

I wanted to share an update on the stalling issues from last year in hopes it helps others. At the end of the day, the issue wasn't fuel delivery or vapor lock, but rather a lack of spark. Turns out components inside the EI distributor were faulty and didn't like working after reaching normal operating temp. The issue was heat related and after 15-20 minutes of running the dizzy electronics stopped requesting spark. Tom @ East Coast Roadsters was super helpful throughout the process, changed out the "guts" and turned around a working dizzy in record time.

Also a big shout out to Keith Williams for the (much needed) carb rebuild and highly recommend giving him a call. He replaced all the worn/broken parts, rebushed the carb bodies, repaired the throttle shafts and cleaned everything up. I'm really pleased with the results and they work good as new.
Thank you!

Now onto the issue with the brakes (or lack there of) before I can get back out there.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice. Happy motoring and hope to see you out there soon.
'68 Datsun 2000
Wannabe mechanic near Buffalo, NY
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks for closing out the thread with answers... that's always appreciated and an occasional source of frustration for me when I'm trying to diagnose a problem on my other cars on other sites... I get to the end and...

BTW, glad you got it sorted!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA