CA18DET swap in the Netherlands

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

peter
Roadsteraholic

Re: CA18DET swap in the Netherlands

Post by peter »

Hi Rob(Dutch family), To start, for the fuelpump, don't take a walbro, they make so much noise, use a deatschwerks fuel pump, the are very quiet and do also 255l/pmin. For inside the tank use a honda civic box, when you don't do that the fuel will be pressed to the wall and your engine wil stall.

For the tranny I use a jeep type CJ 83-86, YJ 87-95, SJ 72-83 poly, you have to make a new mount for that.
The main mount on the left front you can use with the ori mountrubber, on the other side I have used also the ori mount but with a extension steelplate from 1 cm thick. I llok for some pictures.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Datsun Roadster '66 #7000 Sora Blue, restored 220 Hp and 340 Nm
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

Did you look at all the pictures in my post?
You can find there a lot of info.
You have to replace the original cooler for a 3 row cooler from honda civic(is sheep, ebay) and a intercooler (I bought this one in the Netherlands).
At this moment has my car already mad 25000 miles with this engine and is still running, but now wit a ball bearing GT25 and 14psi and a horseham stage 1 chip, makes 230ps with about 340nM.
I placed the battery in the trunk on a mount with a 40mm2 kabel to the front together with the fuel lines.
I have a load of pictures from all of these things, it toke me about 125 hour to mount the engine end let it run. The computer is behind the handclove box at the inside together with 4 relay and fuses for thecable for the engine. that means that there now 2 different electric systems, one for hte car and one for the engine.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,torque is how far you take the wall with you.
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

will be sourcing some stock ones unless there is a better solution for the swap.
You have to make your own, can't use the stock one.

Also, what transmission mount type is needed for the S13 5 speed, again can a stock Nissan mount be used or is there a better solution?
jeep type CJ 83-86, YJ 87-95, SJ 72-83 poly

I will be looking at fuel system upgrades, probably a Walbro pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator, of course.
don't take a walbro, they make so much noise, use a deatschwerks fuel pump, the are very quiet and do also 255l/pmin

Also, If there is no exhaust manifold solution to buy, I will be building a custom one for mounting the turbo away from the steering shaft.
I did build my own as wel on a 10mm steel plate.
If you give me your email I will send you a lot of files with WE transfer.
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

When you start fitting the engine take a liftcrane and hang the engine including the transmission in the engine bay. before the pully there is a space of about1 till 2 cm. Take the exhaust part of, and leave the inlet on the motor, you need it to place the engine on the right angle, it will be a little more straitup as original.. there is a crossmember in the hole of the tranny, you have to grind that on out, this tranny is a litle higher then the normal tranny. You have to look that the inlet stays under the hood with the right angle. good luck, if you have more guestions let me know.
vorpal
Roadster Fanatic

Post by vorpal »

Thanks for all the tips Peter.

CA18DET is currently being stripped down for refresh. Will be fitting the engine this summer after i get the car inspected and road registered.

Will post progress pics when the swap project starts.
Rob
1969 Datsun 2000 Solex # 12921
1967.5 Datsun 1600 # 14262
1990 300ZX Twin Turbo
another 1990 300ZX Turbo
1993 300ZX Convertible
new garage DONE Oct 2019!!!
Edmonton, Canada