My STARTER got "NON-cranky"

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Jorge022770

My STARTER got "NON-cranky"

Post by Jorge022770 »

My friends:

Although I have no windshield or shocks to take the baby for a spin, I make sure that the engine gets some time to exercise once a week. The last three times, when I turn the swithch, the starter "clicks" but doesn't turn. I have to try 5-6 times (with the proper pause to allow the thing to go back) until all of the sudden I turn the key and it fires up like always....battery is fine, engine turns manually without problem, and wires are not loose. What can be the problem?

Also, if I pull the light's switch all the way out, the tail and front parking lights turn off.....not to mention that the headlights have never worked since I put everything together......why do parking/tail lights work on the first position of the switch but nothing works when all the way out???

Jorge
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

lite problem

Post by FergO2k »

My lites (69 2000) did the same thing, and it was a blown fuse.
As far as the starter, it sounds liek maybe you ignition switch might be a little crusty on the contacts, so that sometimes when you twist it just doesn't make full contact. I am planning on putting a pushbutton starter switch, to by pass the key switch maladies. just an idea. Fergus O, 69 2000
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Thanks Fergus for the reply. I will check the connections as you suggest......and lemme know about that button to start, it sounds like something I could explore as well.

Jorge
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

As far as lights and starter, are your grounds good? Sometimes if one light goes out when another comes on it is getting it's ground backwards through the other circuit. Same with the intermittant starter.

As far as pushbutton starter, in the ashtray might be cool, out of sight for some security.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

SO, if the parking lights turn on when I pull the knob to the first position, and they turn off (without ever turning on the headlights) when I pull the switch all the way out where headlights are supposed to turn on.....it is most likely a ground problem then?
Where should I start looking for headlight's grounding problems?

Jorge
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Get the wiring diagram so you know the wiring color codes. A test light should tell you all you need to know. Clip the lead to ground to check for power, clip to posative battery to check for ground. Start at the switch and check the function of every wire. If it gets wierd, disconnect the plugs at the headlights and psrking lights. I think the ground for the lights is on the left frame rail by the alternator harness between the washer tank and air filter on my 69.
This is the diagram for a 68, 95% right for a 69
http://shiftco.com/features/wiring/wiring_02.pdf

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

As far as the starter problem goes, I would have to say there is probably a "dead" spot on the armature(providing all connections are tight). If it clicks when you try to start it means it should not the switch because that is what sends the signal to the starter and the actual click sound is the solenoid trying to "engage" the starter motor.(the solenoid is poping the drive out to engage the flywheel but the starter motor is not turning) There are still a few places around that can check the armature on a growler and tell if it is OK but it would require you to completly take your starter apart. (might need a rebuild anyways) Maybe you just need new brushes, which would be a cheap fix(if you can find them).
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Thanks guys. I did clean and check the switch and all the connections...and everything seems fine. I guess I have to take the whole unit out then and see if the problem is in it.

As to the lights, when I pull the switch (light switch), the amp meter moves about a 1/4 distance towards the (-)...this doesn't happen with the flashers , which makes me assume that it is not a problem with the parking lights or their wiring?!?!

Jorge