Newbie ? Is the Roadster 2.0L vs. 1.6L engine?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

m3elmo

Newbie ? Is the Roadster 2.0L vs. 1.6L engine?

Post by m3elmo »

Hello There,

there is a nice looking 1600 in my area...but i'm curious if it's worth it to wait a bit and spend more money on a 2000 in the same condition? the only thing is hte extra power for me. I'm not too familiar with the car so i'm curious.

Those wiht the 1600, do you wish you had got a 2000? is the 1600 engine upgradeable pretty easily to make more power?

Thanks

DN
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Have you driven either? You may be pleasantly surprised at the power that the 1600 has. They are VERY reliable motors and parts are fairly easy and cheap to come by. The 2000 is more powerful, but parts are expensive and sometimes elusive.

Before you discount a car, drive it. If you like it, then consider it. If you don't, keep looking. A lot of folks like the looks of and idea of owning a roadster, but make the mistake of getting it home and immediately disassembling the car. Most cars that have that happen never get back on the road - if they do, it is not a quick event.

You should let your budget be your guide, not a lust for speed. The 1600s will do 70 all day long which means that you can drive on the highway with no issues. They will cruise at 90 as well, they are just a bit noisy.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

FWIW I drive a 1600 as my only car and i think it has plenty of power. Sometimes I do wish for a little more grunt when i'm getting on the freeway, or if I want to get somewhere far away really fast, but 90% of the time I'm very satisfied with the power output.

You need to think about what you want to use the car for. The 1600s reliablility and availability of parts sold me, but if you will just use the car for weekend shots through the twisties it might be worth waiting for a 2000. personal preference i guess...
bengelhardt
Roadster Nut

Post by bengelhardt »

I hate to be the nay-sayer here but, when I was looking for my roadster, I drove both and the 1600 (with a 4 speed) was too underpowered for my taste. The 2000 (with a 5 speed) really put a smile on my face.

I agree with spl310, choosing between the two requires a balance of hunger for power with reliability and cost of repair. I also agree that you should drive both before you decide.
Bill Engelhardt
1970 2000
Oakland, CA
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I don't think that you are being a naysayer Bill, you just did not like the balance of the 1600. There is nothing wrong with that. The average owner may not drive as hard as you do, so they may not want/need the power. Driving them both answers the question.

Now, there is that SR20 powered car still for sale on collectorcartraderonline.com if he wants to go fast...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
m3elmo

Post by m3elmo »

thanks for the reponses guys.

I would like to drive both before I decide, but it's hard to find both in a short time period.

I'm not a power hungry guy. I just would like to hav esomething that I can at least drive around and not feel like i'm driving a base honda civic which has no power.

There is a SPL311 in my area that i'll check out today. if the car is as good as he says it is..i'll bite.
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

One thing to keep in mind about a lower-powered car is that you can drive it harder, and it gives you the impression of going faster.

Might be just a little harder to "get in trouble" than a faster car that appears to be loafing. If personal impressions are important, consider the 1600. If bragging about HP numbers is important, go for the 2000 or a swap car.
Bucky
bengelhardt
Roadster Nut

Post by bengelhardt »

Hmmm - an SR-20 swapped roadster for $6K in Culver City? Maybe they're right when they say that you can't own just one. Now if I can just convince my wife that we need to take a quick trip down to LA.

m3elmo, if you're anywhere near Oakland, CA, I'd be happy to let you take a spin in my 2000 for the sake of comparison. Especially if the "m3" in m3elmo means that you drive a certain Bavarian vehicle. Perhaps some kind of test-drive trade could be worked out.
Bill Engelhardt
1970 2000
Oakland, CA
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
m3elmo

Post by m3elmo »

Bengel

Thanks for the offer to test drive. I'm going to look at a 68 1600 tonight. talked a bit with the owner etc. It's the same one on craigslist right now. if it's as good as it looks in pics and sounds from the phone..i'll bite. it seems that the 1600vs.2000 is a big preference between people. way i see it..i'd just drive it until it goes boom and then swap in a KA24 or SR20....

And yeah, I do drive an m3, 95 model. I also have a bike. I'm used to speed, but dont' require it. If i want to go fast, hop in the bike, if i want to just be comfy, ride in the bimmer.

The datsun would be just a vehicle that to me has a lot of character and would be fun to drive in the coming ( i hope ) bay area weather.

DN
FordFire500

Buy a better car! Run away!

Post by FordFire500 »

A test drive between the two Datsuns is senseless as they both lack so much: size, power, manliness. Try the new Ford 500 and live bigger, stronger, longer. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

what the hell?

get out of here jerk!
FordFire500

Post by FordFire500 »

Don't get mad. I can get you help towing your car to the junkyard in SF.
For free. Jerk-off. :lol:
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Who is this guy? What type of guy comes into a Datsun forum and has only has cheers for a Ford 500? Steve, can we get rid of this guy? I bet hes just here to insult our cars!
Datsa 66

Post by Datsa 66 »

Consider the source people. Someone who has enough time on their hands to join a Datsun Roadster enthusiast discussion group so they can bash the cars has way too much time on their hands...

FORD= Fix or Repair Daily
FORD=Found On Road Dead
FORD= Foour Old Rusty Doors.

And if you put a Datsun Roadster next to a brand new Mustang, the chicks will want to go for a ride in the Datsun... Trust me...

So ignore the putz and let's move on..

Andrew Murphy
Never owned a Ford in my life and never will...