You could always try?
No votes
Dont waste your time.....
No votes

Total votes: 9

67 1/2 1600

Bringing back SOCALROC

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I had a talk with another roadster owner about bringing back the SoCalRoc. I was wondering if anyone knew what it would take to bring it back and how to handle it. I also want to know if anyone else is up for bringing it back, and would like to help us out.

Joaquin
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

Schedule a get together either a run or just meeting up somewhere and post it up everywhere, this site, other roadster places and see how many people respond, then as it grows just keep doing more and more.

Lou
Datsa 66

Post by Datsa 66 »

I thought I would comment about this as I was the creator of the original SoCalROC club. I am not going to be a nay sayer about this. I think if you would like to start another iteration of the club I would say go for it. I also agree that all it takes is for you to invite people to go on runs and also get togethers.

Other than that you just have to decide how much personal time you want to put into it. For me that was the real reason that the old SoCalROC club died out. I was restoring my car then and every discretionary penny I had went towards that. Added to that were some personal family issues I had to deal with and that pretty much stopped me from inviting people on runs and meets.

Then I too had a bad experience that does not need to be rehashed that led me to throw up my hands and "Quit". This has nothing to do with you and if you want to have some fun and go on runs and organize events I promise to always try to be there.

In fact, I was already contemplating repeating my Labor Day Barbecue and pool party and if you like we can try to make it a little bit larger get together and get some cars together or a run or something. We used to have Summer picnics in El Dorado park in Long beach but the place is always packed so I woud look some where else.

And there in lies the challenge. Now you have to spend your time findng a place that can hold all the cars, making sure people bring enough food and drink, planning the run with maps and meeting points and so on... It takes some time and if it is fun for you and you are willing to do it that then I will show up as often as I can.

As a wise roadster owner once told me "You only need two roadsters for a run..."

Good Luck,

Andrew Murphy
1967.5 2000
SRL-31100489
gmagana

SoCalRoc

Post by gmagana »

Joaquin, I am really glad to see that you are making an effort to start the SoCalRoc again. This is an excellent time for things to get reorganized for all of you down there. The trick to making it work is to have a commitment from a couple of others to meet every so often. Once that happens you will find that others will straggle in. Setting up fun runs is important, it also helps to just say I am going to such and such car show, who else is going?? Good luck with the club reorganization, I am very excited to see that you are doing this. I think that you will find that Andrew Murphy is an incredible resource as he has a love for the cars.
Regards, Gerardo
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I think I could do it, but I would need some help. I think I will be up to it, once I have my license. I cant just start the club and not even attend the events in my car! I think I may have about 2 people who may be intersested in helping me, but I still need to have a longer chat with them.

Joaquin
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

Andrew,
The Labor Day BBQ was great. Hope you have another this year.

Ron
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
67.5 1600 Basket Case (in the family)
66 1600 race car (Steve Allen's)
70 1600 survivor (sold 2020)
68 1600 Beauty (sold 2014)
68 1600 My first (sold 1991)
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Joaquin:

My friend, I haven't seen you the few times I've been on line.....and I am glad to see that our conversation about starting the SoCal club has developed into something. I suggested it, and I will certainly collaborate however I can to make this real.

To everyone else: Joaquin here is the most dedicated Roadster lover that I've met ! He is an asset to this forum and to all of us who love the roadster as well.

Thanks Joaquin
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I think this will happen soon. I just want to get all my legal stuff sorted out and then I will startup runs and stuff.

Joaquin
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

I'm in! I'll support whatever develops. For me, a club is in the doing. The more we meet, ride, eat, group tune, etc, etc.. the more "Club Like" we'll be. We don't need a web page, as we can organize right here on the 311s.org forum.

Till then, how bout we talk it over a hamburger at Newcoomb's Ranch atop the Angeles Crest soon.
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Victor,

Im in! I need to get off my butt, and change my diff! Thats all I need to do in order to get on the freeway!

Joaquin
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

Sounds like a good reason for a club meeting to me. Diff change workshop next weekend?
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Maybe? Please bring tools because I have none! I had some, but my dad took them back to his work :(.

Joaquin
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

Tools we got. Don't be shy post a day, time address and phone number.
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

And Joaquin:

I am also in whenever, wherever, however. By the way, I've been going in and out of MSN and although see you there, been too rushed to IM.....sorry bro.

Jorge
Pomona
browne
Roadster Newby

laroc

Post by browne »

I also spoke to several people at Solvang about the LA roadster club. They were all interested. The idea is to have a place to discuss problems and solutions without a set format or conflicts regarding vendors and egos. Everyone on the same level and no favorites.

Monthly get togethers to show off cars and take rides. A group of people to help you with problems and put their heads together to solve how tos.

There would be a list of people to call to ask where to get stuff and how to adapt new products for these old beauties.

For god sakes Montana has a roadster club but not LA. Go figure.

If anyone is interested count us in. We should plan a get together for June and see how many people we can count on.

Robert and Kevie Browne