Fixing slight tire rub

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ted928
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Fixing slight tire rub

Post by Ted928 »

One of my rear wheels (Shelby 5 slots with 185-70-14) occasionally rubs. The gap between the tire and the wheel well lip is not the same on both sides. The difference is about 3/8".
Can I adjust the rear end so that it is better centered? Should I try moving the body?
If not - should I grind 1/4" off the lip or roll the lip? If I were to roll the lip up, then I would have to bend it a lot since the lip is not horizontal, it points down.

Thanks
Ted928
1968 Datsun 2000
toolsnob

Rubbing

Post by toolsnob »

I am running the same rims with 185/60/14's and with the fenders rolled they just clear. You can machine off the front of the drum or the back of the wheels to help clearance. Roll the lip helps a lot.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Ted,

The Roadster bodies are quite often not centered on the chassis. There are only 14 bolts holding the whole mess together, so you could loosen them and shift the body.

If you want to roll the fender lips, that is fairly easy. Just get an aluminum baseball bad and have at it! (between the wheel and fender - not whacking it, rolling it) You let the wheel do the work. I have not done one, so I guess I am out of line saying it is fairly easy. Someone with experience can chime in here.

The easiest solution is to not drive it so darned hard! ;-)
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
TR

Post by TR »

Hey Ted,

3/8" difference is a lot. I would ensure that the leafs and rear axle housing are centered on the frame (including axles in the housing) and that there is nothing weird with any bushings, springs, bearings, etc.

Then I would look to center the body, in this case the gap between the fender lip and tire.

As Sid said, rolling the fender lip is easy, but go really slowly. I have found that the best method is to have one person hold the rod (or bat, etc.) and another roll the car back and forth. As you progress, have a third sit on the fender to add weight and lower the car a bit more. The process naturally rolls the fender more where it is needed more...

Just go real easy and take baby steps. If you bite off too much at a time, the fender will wrinkle (which makes clearance worse) and the paint will flake off. Also, wrapping something soft (rubber, T-Shirt, etc.) on the rod saves the paint...

I have the same wheels on my 66 and the tires rub about an inch up from the rolled lip in a big or fast bump...Good luck! TR
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED