Rotisserie

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Wrenchands

Rotisserie

Post by Wrenchands »

I am thinking about building a Rotisserie for my roadster after trying to weld upside down for most of the weekend. I remember seeing a good writeup with pictures on how to modify engine stands to make the Rotisserie. Does anyone know where I might have seen this?

Also, does anyone know how much the body weights by itself? I know the total car is around 2100.

Thanks for you help
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

Here is what I came up with after considering a full on rotisserie and determining they were too expensive and overbuilt for a little Roadster,Your results may vary :) I went out to Harbor Freight (a discount tool supply house) and picked up 2 engine stands for $29.99 each-on sale! (4 wheel version, 1500lb cap. each) After assembly I noticed the stands had way too much back angle to turn freely once a frame/body was mounted. What I did to correct this was to level up the neck and measure from the ground to the bottom of the tube steel. In my case it was 5 1/4". I then went to my local hardware store and found a 1/2" stud caster wheel that matched that dimension,drilled a hole in the bottom of the tube steel and bolted it up. Almost perfectly level(could have shimmed it to make it perfect but...) Then I centered the neck on the frame and located where the arms of the adapter would sit and welded 2- 1/2" nuts directly to the frame, front and back (note: I do welding as part of my job, i would reccomend a proficient welder do this unless you are comfortable with your skills). With that done I mounted the adapter to the frame and bolted it up. Jacked the frame up and slid in the stands (try to set it up so the centerline of the pivot is at the centerline of the frame/body-makes turning easier) I couldn't be more pleased how it turned out! :D I can literaly spin that thing with one hand! In my case I also had a bent frame I am using for the body support. Using the same nut welded on frame setup as on the other frame( makes swapping between the two a piece of cake) I also took the body on frame (bare frame) for a test spin and it also worked better than I thought, little more difficult to turn but I also didn't have it centered up but it was turnable.(watch it-once it goes over center it will want to flop down if not centered) I don't know it it would be wise to put the body only on one without major bracing to prevent things from bending-even with the frame underneath I still used some crossbracing to hopefully avoid wracking the body. As I said the stands were $29.99 each and the casters were I think $7-8 each-so for less than $100 I have a functional rotisserie! Just be aware if you go this route that the stand you get is tall enough to allow the body to swing around (half the body width + 6" or so) I can try to post pictures of my frame on it but I am horrible with that stuff (and I am using a slow dialup- maybe DSL one of these days :( ) so maybe I can send photos to someone who knows how to post them?
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I put pictures in the album on this site, easy as anything. We shoild use it more

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Wrenchands

Torquing the body

Post by Wrenchands »

Thanks for the detailed write-up of your rotisserie. That is exactly what I had seen somewhere in the past.

My question for the masses is, will I torque the body if I use a rotisserie without having the body mounted on the frame?

I planned on attaching the rotisserie to the frame mounting points approximately three feet in from both ends of the body. I have already pulled off the front quarters and doors. I will brace between the door opening

Thanks in advance for you input.
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

Check out Mark's 4/10/04 entry on his Chevy-powered roadster project at http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

Here is a pretty nice unit:

http://www.theroto2000.com/auto_rotisserie_pricing.htm

Lou Smaldino
65-1500
66-1600
67-2000
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Rotisserie Pics

Post by S Allen »

Send me the pictures and I will be glad to post them for the rest of us to see. My brother did the same thing with a couple of Harbor Freight engine stands.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth