car too high?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67 1/2 1600

car too high?

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

After looking at all the cars at Solvang, it looks as if my car sits a bit too high from the rear comparted to all the cars at the show. It also sits higher than my parts car? The shackles were flipped on my car, but I fixed that, although it did go a bit lower it is still a bit high. Any ideas?

Joaquin
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

The cars fitted with the Nismo rear competition spring will sit lower. My bumperis about mid calf. I believe that late model stockers are a touch higher than 65~67.
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

Post by impinhigh »

Hey J,
It could be your shocks... I have gasadjust and keep them just a lil lower than your. Hitting freeway dips at speed will cause you to bottom out and that's hard on my back. Looks good to me but the slammed look is very attractive.

Matt
Matt Jacquet
Gilroy, Ca
68 Spl311 Stock-Silver
68 Spl311 Stock-White-Gone to a good home...
:(
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Matt,

I have KYB Gas-A-Just. I dont know how to adjust them?? Any ideas? I would like to drop the car a tad bit, but not now. I want to drop the front as well, but at farther time along the road.

Joaquin
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Ok Cool! Yeah the 66 is harsh! I have a feeling it will never be on the road, but parts from it might! Thanks for all the feedback! Keep on roadstering!

Joaquin
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Awwwwwwww, cra.......er, crud! The rear on my '66 looks like your '66. I figured my so-rusty-crusty-you-cannot-read-the-label shocks needed replacing, and Mike Young springs to lower the front. Guess replacing/rearcing the rear leafs gets added to Da List.

What're the rough costs of that?
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

Gas-Adjust do not adjust. They are high pressure gas shocks. They will increase your spring rate quite a bit. They were designed to work on full sized 70's vintage Dodge cars. The damping rates are wrong for our light weight and stiffly sprung cars. On my race car I was getting a pogo effect. The high gas pressure in the shock would resist compression but would assist in rebound. The stiff springs could rebound from a bump very fast because of too small amount of rebound damping in the shock. The effect was a very sharp impact when hitting a bump and then the tire would slam and pogo off the pavement. I caused the car to skitter across a bumpy corner. The high gas pressure also raised the ride height of the car. I switched over to Carrera hydraulic adjustable shocks and the skittering stopped immediately.

If you aren't racing then I suggest keeping the KYB's and accepting the fact that they work fine on the street but not on the track. You can get a lower ride height in the rear by installing comp rear springs, install lowering blocks and longer U-bolts in the rear, or switching to the low pressure KYB GR-2 or Koni hydraulics.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

Bolt on modification? I did use some bolts!
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

The 66 springs are a popular swap in to the later cars because they have a higher spring rate and they lower the ride height.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

nomadtrash wrote:Gas-Adjust do not adjust. They are high pressure gas shocks. They will increase your spring rate quite a bit. The damping rates are wrong for our light weight and stiffly sprung cars. On my race car I was getting a pogo effect.I switched over to Carrera hydraulic adjustable shocks and the skittering stopped immediately.
Ha! you too? My bouncy-bouncy front end began when I fitted my car with the comp front springs. I've got a set of carrera's still waiting to go on. I've had them for over a year, but, to lazy too fit them.
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

I took the four bolts out that hold the lower a-arm triangular spring perch/bottom plate. The spring and shock can slide out the bottom. I then installed the new shock and spring and put the plate back on. It saved me from having to separate the ball joint or mess with the lower a-arm mounting points (which will mess up the alignment). You have to remove the swaybar to do it this way. I've also heard of people enlarging the shock hole to get the larger shocks to fit.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

Andy,
Do you know if there was a coil spring isolator on the top and the bottom of the spring? I removed my springs and only noticed one on the top, but anything could have happened in 35 years.

If only one on top is stock, can you add a second one on the bottom to?

Ron
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
67.5 1600 Basket Case (in the family)
66 1600 race car (Steve Allen's)
70 1600 survivor (sold 2020)
68 1600 Beauty (sold 2014)
68 1600 My first (sold 1991)
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

I've disassembled several and none of them had a rubber pad on the bottom. I think they were only on the top. I don't think one will fit on the bottom because the spring fits over a hump in the bottom plate. The clearance is too tight between the spring and the hump for an isolator.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

What are the Carrera shocks? For a Porsche Carrera?
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle