1600 radiator inadequate?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

scotty
Roadster Fanatic

1600 radiator inadequate?

Post by scotty »

I was told that the 2 core radiator was never enough for this little car and was wondering if this info is worth taking to heart? Also, what is the simplest solution to this problem?

Thanks
sgriffin
Roadster Fanatic

radiator

Post by sgriffin »

Scot;
Are you having problems now? What are you wanting to accomplish? There a number of questions that need to be asked and answered before an intelligent answer can be posed. Sam
Sam E. Griffin
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

FWIW, with my original 1600, I never had any trouble with overheating while the engine was stock. Even 80+ dashes across Nevada (back when the speed limit was R&P). After I leaned pretty heavily on the engine the radiator was woefully inadequate. I would have to take several gallons of water to the autocross events to dump on the radiator to cool it down between runs.
Bucky
toolsnob

Radiator

Post by toolsnob »

When ever I get a roadster I just pull the radiator and have a new 3 core center installed. Another issue is the fan, make sure you have the 4 blade fan as it cools better and is quieter. Make sure you run the shroud. That should cover all your bases.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

If your car is cooling, ignore what folks are telling you about your radiator being inadequate. The problem with Roadsters overheating is usually traced to an engine that has been neglected (cooling passages in the radiator and/or engine blocked with rust and scale for example) or one that has had modifications for performance. I have seen and owned 1600s with stock radiators that work fine. Now, that having been said, when your radiator needs to be redone, it costs the same here for a 2 core as it does for a 3 core - go for more when you can. You just don't need to do that immediately.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...