another quick tire question

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gary Hudson

another quick tire question

Post by Gary Hudson »

I'll get right to it. I got new wheels, brand and offset unknown, that came off a 240z. They had Bridgestone potenzas 195/70/14 on them. The backs have almost no clearance and rub unless I am alone going down a straight good road. (I've driven it anyway this week because of the perfect roadster weather)

I will have to downsize to a 185. My question is should I look at another 70, or would a 65 or 60 be a better choice. I will probably be ordering online so I won't get to try it out beforehand. I don't know if I can get the azenis in this size or not. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and pay twice the money to go through a local tire store.

Thanks for any help tire guys!
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

Gary,

My personal opinion is that you should go with the 185 60 14 option. The lower profile of the 60 series is going to give you better cornering performance than the 70 series without sacrificing ride quality like you would with a 50 series. I think the 60 series is a nice balance between the two.
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
alfred183

Post by alfred183 »

How wide are the wheels?
Gary Hudson

Post by Gary Hudson »

I'm not sure of the width of the wheel. I'll try and find out.

Dave, I am leaning toward the 60s myself. I had planned on 195/60s, but if the 195/70s rub I am afraid to try it.

thanks for the replies.
bengelhardt
Roadster Nut

Post by bengelhardt »

I have a set of Enkeis that came off of a 240. I mounted a set of Yokohama AVS ES100 195/60/14s and they fit. They are very close to the fender lip in the back but they don't rub. I think that my wheels are 14x6 with roughly 4" backspacing.

Where exactly are your tires rubbing?
Bill Engelhardt
1970 2000
Oakland, CA
Gary Hudson

Post by Gary Hudson »

They rub on the fender lip. I can just fit the tip of my finger between the tire and the fender. My guess is I have about 1/8 inch of clearance. It doesn't take much to make contact with the sidewall.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Gary Hudson

Post by Gary Hudson »

Alvin,

I think you are right about the offset. I might have 1/4 inch, but it's still too close. I'm going to try and fit as much tire as possible on them anyway. (I like the wheels a lot) I saw a listing for azenis in 185/60/14 coming in the 3rd quarter of '05. The problem is, I can't wait that long. :lol:

I'll look into the Yokohama AVS as I am not familiar with that tire.

thanks again for all the replies.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Gary Hudson

Post by Gary Hudson »

Thanks Alvin,
Has anyone done the math for a conversion on the speedo with different tire sizes? It seems like I saw this done somewhere for differing wheel sizes.

It was the new rt-615 I found. It is more money than I'd like to spend. I noticed tirerack had some rebates on a couple of the Bridgestone potenzas. They're not as high performance, but seem like good bang for the buck. Also the falkien ziex seems like a bargain. Pros and cons? :?:
alfred183

Post by alfred183 »

Just really depends on what you want to do. Azenis and ES100s are overkill if you just drive on the street and don't do autocross or other performance driving. They will wear out on you extremely fast; especially if you have any issue with alignment.

Falken Ziex are ok. Nice ride. Not noisy at all. Last a while. Not sure about the others.
bengelhardt
Roadster Nut

Post by bengelhardt »

I can just barely get a finger between my 195/60/14s & the fender lip but I don't have any trouble with it rubbing. I haven't autocrossed with the car but I am a pretty aggressive driver.

Keep in mind that different tires will have different dimensions even though they have the same "size." Some will have more bulge in the sidewall than others. Going to 60s might actually solve your problem because they'll generally have less bulge in the sidewall than 70s and they'll flex less.

It is possible that your wheels have too much backspacing though.

When I was trying to determine which tires would fit on my roadster, I took the tire dimensions from tirerack.com (I think) and made cardboard cutoouts of the tire profiles. Then I mounted a bare wheel on the car and checked clearances between the profile and the car. I know that sounds kind of geeky but it worked.

With regard to the speedo difference, Alvin is correct. My spedo reads 65 when I'm going 60 and 108 when I'm going 100. Again, that's with the Yoko 195/60/14s.

As far as tire choice goes, I did a bunch of research when I bought my tires last year and the Potenzes looked good at first blush but then I found some reviews that said they didn't perform as well as the Falkens or Yokos. If you want the stickiest tire out there, get the Falkens. The Yokos are not too far behind, I think they'll last longer and I think they'll be a bit better in wet conditions. I really like mine.
Bill Engelhardt
1970 2000
Oakland, CA
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Gary Hudson

Post by Gary Hudson »

I am not an extremely aggressive driver, although I confess a weakness for speeding up when I come to 90 degree turns. :lol: My driving pattern is after work/weekends in pretty weather. I usually have one of my kids along for the ride, so that keeps me driving sane.

I'm not too concerned with high mileage tread ratings. I want the best performance/price ratio. I look at the ziex and figure I can have a set here for less than $180, BUT Alvin's last post makes a lot of sense. For an extra C-note I can get the AVS and take those turns a bit faster.

Bengelhardt's post makes me think the 195/60 could possibly work on my car. Unfortunately, I can't take the chance with no locals (I called since my first post). The shipping would eat me alive if it didn't work out.

I will most likely place an order this evening. Any other comments are appreciated on the ziex vs. avs debate. :?:

Gary
alfred183

Post by alfred183 »

Yeah, I'm not sure if all Falken tires are the same, but Azenis are really wider than they say. Just beware if you have fitment issues. I'm probably getting 195/60/14 Azenis for my 14x8 0 offset mags. I like the super stiff sidewall :)

ES100s wear about the same as Azenis and are only really inferior because they have to warm up to get the best traction while Azenis grip even when cold.

I think ES100s would be great for you since you don't drive your Roadster all over the place and don't autocross. Just don't get All-Season yuck