Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Plasmaboy's Super Charged U20

Post by S Allen »

Plasmaboy sent a short write-up with some pictures of his super-charged U20.
Click here to view http://www.311s.org/tech/engine/us20turbo.html

Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Steve
Last edited by S Allen on Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Now THAT is cool. Looks like he's doing the "Mad Max" thing with the supercharger on a switch. Hmmmm, this could be fun to do, only make it fuel injected while I'm at it :D .

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:My Mistake

Post by S Allen »

I fixed it to super charged U20 instead of turbo charged. Heck, I know nothing about either of them. :oops:

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
windy311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by windy311 »

cool these superchargers are on every thing down here they are off a 2l toyota crown i think. well done plasmaboy i hope to see this car one day Rob.
Plasmaboy

Some answers ..

Post by Plasmaboy »

the rear brakes are off of an R32 skyline ( Nissan ) in australia .. disks , calipers and disk mounting bracket were used . there is only 1 side pipe . the exhaust goes from the hand made large bore 4 into 1 extractors I made then down through the normal chassis holes with a very free flowing muffler in place , it then does a 180 degree turn and travels forward between the chassis rail and body using a big hot dog muffler , it then does another 180 degree turn behind the front wheel and out the side . Because of the very long length it sounds deep and throaty without being too loud .. it also gave good torqe on the standard engine before the re build . I moved the hand brake as the car now has race seats and it was just too tight a fit .. it also made the hand brake cables and mechanism easier to design ( this was the biggest headache of the entire brake swap . hope this helps
Last edited by Plasmaboy on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Plasmaboy

other car

Post by Plasmaboy »

sorry .. the other car is a nissan Pulsar .. not sure if you have them in the US or what they are called .. it is a front wheel drive with an SR20 .. not a monster engine .. but still fun to drive . The car should be back at the engine dyno in the next 2 weeks for another tune up with the blower running so Ill see how it goes .. modified for pressure webers have been used on blow through turbo * lotus , Lancier etc installs for ages so they should be fine ( only running about 4 - 5 psi of boost ) .. but if they do play up too much , ill go injected
steve68

Post by steve68 »

tell us about the rear brake swap!!! how much fab?

thanks
steve
dat68s
Roadster Fanatic

Post by dat68s »

Looks sensational... bet it goes OK too :twisted:
Plasmaboy also did a cool coversion on the front brakes as I recall him saying in a previous post. Don't know if you can get the same parts over in the US as I think the calipers were from a "holden commodore", which is a GM product.
Stu
Plasmaboy

Front brakes

Post by Plasmaboy »

Hi , the front brakes use commodore VL turbo callipers .. they are a big bore single piston design made by Girlock . The disks are from a Honda Integra VTI-R the 4 stud holes on the disk match up perfectly with the bolt holes on the wheel hub , you only have to get the centre hole of the new disk machined out to fit over the wheel hub . the 2 bolt holes on the calliper mounting brackets need to be drilled about 1/2 a millimetre larger to fit the Datsun bolt size . Everything else is a bolt on fit no welding , cutting or fabrication of brackets . If you wanted to revert to the original system , it would take about 20 minutes per side
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

This might be a dumb question but why do we have a roadster running a U20 in the swap section? That's one of 2 engines that SHOULD be in the car. Shouldn't this fit better in the Tech forum?

just a thought,
Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
steve68

Post by steve68 »

What about the rear set up..so its the same brakes as a 300zx over here? what years? do the brackets have to be cut and rewelded up liek the 200sx's? Do you have a part number for the front calipers?

thanks
steve
Andy Ross

Post by Andy Ross »

Just a quick question on the front disks.
I have a set of 300zx calipers and rotors to which the rotors need a bit of modification to work i.e. offset,and stud pattern adjustment.
Just a thought do you think the Honda disks would work in the Nissans place? (less modification needed) Do you have the rough dimensions of the Honda disks so I can see if they will work? Also what year Honda would I source the disks from :?:
Plasmaboy

disks

Post by Plasmaboy »

Hi , if you go to http://www.dba.com.au ( Australian disk manufacturer ) they have all the size charts . The Honda disks Im using are thinner than the 300 ZX ones ..
dneuman

Re: Plasmaboy's Super Charged U20

Post by dneuman »

S Allen wrote:Plasmaboy sent a short write-up with some pictures of his super-charged U20.
Click here to view http://www.311s.org/tech/engine/us20turbo.html

Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Steve
Wow that is exactly the same set up I am working on for my roadster. Dang, great minds must think alike. I have bascially all the same pieces in my garage just waiting for the install.

PlasmaBoy I have a couple of questions for you regarding the SC install.
1. What static compression ratio are you running and why did you choose that particular value.
2. You o-ringed the head and block-do you think that is super required eventhough you are only running ~5psi boost?
3. Did you swap out the head bolts for studs?
4. What do you mean by boost prepared carbs?
5. I can't see how you are driving the SC. Did you have a custom crank pully done or what?
6. How did you figure out your pully ratio to get 5psi? You are going to go to more boost eventually?
7. I would like to know more about the SC bypass set up.
8. You have the SC clutch electrically activated what rpm does it kick in?
9. How's it running? How much of a bear is it to tune the carbs?

Umm.. lots more but I think thats enough for now.