Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: The crazy dash repair

Post by mraitch »

As I mentioned earlier, I am still interested.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Congratulations on an ambitious project. I look forward to the results of your experiments!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
jcd0402
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jcd0402 »

mraitch wrote:As I mentioned earlier, I am still interested.
Glad to hear that. :)
notoptoy wrote:Congratulations on an ambitious project. I look forward to the results of your experiments!
Thanks for the compliment, me too! :lol:
Something about these cars gets into your blood.-David
Look,there comes El Santo!
70 SPL311-27531
70 SPL311-27693
67 SPL311-04147
Julio De Leon Jr
JADCRUISER
Site Supporter

Post by JADCRUISER »

:smt026 well yeha!! Im interested to!! hope vinyl arrive soon!!
DATSUN ROADSTER 1600 1970 Tuning DCOE 40 webers!!
FIAT 124 SPIDER 1600 1972
TOYOTA FJ40 1968 Frame off Resto process !! you can see progress at IH8mud forum " Fj40 68 Resto" by JADCRUISER
TOYOTA HIACE 2011
Datsun.David
Site Supporter

Post by Datsun.David »

Julio -
Looks like a great effort! A little advice from someone who has never done this before, but who works with spray foam lots, and sands tonnes of stuff... Small details will be more obvious when the vinyl is applied, so take your time on the foaming and sanding step... Definitely try a couple of sample pieces in the vacuum first to make sure that you are getting the result you anticipate. The prep on the front end of a project like this is what defines the quality of the finished project.

You are definitely on the right track, but be patient and super critical of the sanding and foaming part so that you don't end up with small depressions in the finished project. We are all behind you and really looking forward to seeing your finished project!
67.5 SRL311 #00050 - Silver - SU
67.5 SRL311 #00544 - Sora Blue SU
68 Roadster Race Car
69 SRL311
69 SRL311
72 PL510
74 260Z - Silver
jcd0402
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jcd0402 »

JADCRUISER wrote::smt026 well yeha!! Im interested to!! hope vinyl arrive soon!!
Me too! :lol:
Datsun.David wrote:Julio -
Looks like a great effort! A little advice from someone who has never done this before, but who works with spray foam lots, and sands tonnes of stuff... Small details will be more obvious when the vinyl is applied, so take your time on the foaming and sanding step... Definitely try a couple of sample pieces in the vacuum first to make sure that you are getting the result you anticipate. The prep on the front end of a project like this is what defines the quality of the finished project.

You are definitely on the right track, but be patient and super critical of the sanding and foaming part so that you don't end up with small depressions in the finished project. We are all behind you and really looking forward to seeing your finished project!
Thanks for the information the more the better. :D I'll be doing some testing with the vinyl before I glue it down to the dashboard. That way I can check and see if small imperfections are noticeable through the vinyl. And yes, I will definitely take my time on sanding the dashboard since I know that sanding it is the most important step to the whole wrapping.
70 SPL311-27531
70 SPL311-27693
67 SPL311-04147
Julio De Leon Jr
jcd0402
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jcd0402 »

Houston, we have a problem! :shock:

Okay, so the vinyl finally arrived at to the vinyl store today. To my great luck the stretching on the vinyl failed horribly (As you can see from the picture the vinyl is what you would consider "stretchy".) Luckily I have other uses for this vinyl, if not it would of been wasted money. Now I've decided to order vinyl from an online store that carries better stretching vinyl. Hopefully this time I won't be wasting money. :lol:

Little quote that's been helping me to continue with this project.
“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” -Randy Pausch
70 SPL311-27531
70 SPL311-27693
67 SPL311-04147
Julio De Leon Jr
Datsun.David
Site Supporter

Post by Datsun.David »

Persevere Julio...

I always rely on "Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person doing it..."
67.5 SRL311 #00050 - Silver - SU
67.5 SRL311 #00544 - Sora Blue SU
68 Roadster Race Car
69 SRL311
69 SRL311
72 PL510
74 260Z - Silver
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

You are right - brick walls are obstacles that often let us know the way around them - by there very existence.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
rudesvx
Roadster Nut

Post by rudesvx »

Judging by the pic, it appears that you may have a leak in your vacuum. The vinyl would've sucked all the way to the bottom surface and adhere around the dash itself if suction was sufficient. Not sure what your dash is sitting on. If it's on a flat deck, you will need holes around the perimeter of the dash to allow the material to form closely around the part and the remaining air pockets can be pushed or squeezed away from the part while the material is still hot.

An insufficient seal will produce the same results as what you may have experienced.
-2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L (family vehicle)
-2001 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition (my suv)
-2000 Toyota Rav-4 (wife's car)
-1968 Datsun 1600 Roadster (my project vehicle)
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

Is this just vinyl or has it a woven or knitted or non woven backing.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Datsun Roadster '66 #7000 Sora Blue, restored 220 Hp and 340 Nm
jcd0402
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jcd0402 »

rudesvx wrote:Judging by the pic, it appears that you may have a leak in your vacuum. The vinyl would've sucked all the way to the bottom surface and adhere around the dash itself if suction was sufficient. Not sure what your dash is sitting on. If it's on a flat deck, you will need holes around the perimeter of the dash to allow the material to form closely around the part and the remaining air pockets can be pushed or squeezed away from the part while the material is still hot.

An insufficient seal will produce the same results as what you may have experienced.
No, the vacuum has great suction power, more that I even expected. It's the vinyl that won't stretch to the contour of the dash because of the lack of elasticity

peter wrote:Is this just vinyl or has it a woven or knitted or non woven backing.
It's vinyl with a woven backing. The store told me that the vinyl would stretch as soon as I applied heat to it, that just didn't happen.
70 SPL311-27531
70 SPL311-27693
67 SPL311-04147
Julio De Leon Jr
JADCRUISER
Site Supporter

Post by JADCRUISER »

Hi Julio, how do you heat the vinyl?? I'm a model maker and we use to vacuum form parts like scalectrix and RC body cars, so we have a big heat resistor on top of the material and when it get floppy and star get on the mold ( dash) we get the vacuum suction on, the holes around the piece will help a lot so you can get better suction on the important points...
go on your quest is that the enthusiast can get the success final!!
best regards
TOYOTA FJ40 1968 Frame off Resto process !! you can see progress at IH8mud forum " Fj40 68 Resto" by JADCRUISER
TOYOTA HIACE 2011
jcd0402
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jcd0402 »

JADCRUISER wrote:Hi Julio, how do you heat the vinyl?? I'm a model maker and we use to vacuum form parts like scalectrix and RC body cars, so we have a big heat resistor on top of the material and when it get floppy and star get on the mold ( dash) we get the vacuum suction on, the holes around the piece will help a lot so you can get better suction on the important points...
best regards
I used two heat guns to heat up the vinyl to make it stretch, but it only stretched so much that after that it was bad to apply more heat. It got up to the point that if I were to apply more heat to the vinyl it would of ruptured.
70 SPL311-27531
70 SPL311-27693
67 SPL311-04147
Julio De Leon Jr
JADCRUISER
Site Supporter

Post by JADCRUISER »

jcd0402 wrote:
JADCRUISER wrote:Hi Julio, how do you heat the vinyl?? I'm a model maker and we use to vacuum form parts like scalectrix and RC body cars, so we have a big heat resistor on top of the material and when it get floppy and star get on the mold ( dash) we get the vacuum suction on, the holes around the piece will help a lot so you can get better suction on the important points...
best regards
I used two heat guns to heat up the vinyl to make it stretch, but it only stretched so much that after that it was bad to apply more heat. It got up to the point that if I were to apply more heat to the vinyl it would of ruptured.
Ok the heat has to be uniform so it stretch all the same!!
TOYOTA HIACE 2011