Rear Axle seal leak

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Russell Roach

Rear Axle seal leak

Post by Russell Roach »

Ok guys,

Doing the race prep for next weekend at Hallet noticed the passenger rear drum was goopy neat thing about redline gearoil that blue color makes it unmistakeable.

So I checked for any slop in the bearing then pulled the axle(oh Joy) race was ok no visible tears in the seal but cleaned up and put new seal(bargain on ebay....I'll never need 12 rear axle seals.....!!!???)

My question is with nothing out of the ordinary could it just leak out of one side due to over filling The race I ran was the short course at TWS with a over abundance of left turns possibly explaining the right side leak.

Lets hear it boys welcome all comments

Russell
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Hi Russell, just wondering, did you also replace the inner axle housing seals that would keep the differential oil from getting into the wheel bearing? Or did you replace all 4 seals? Bill Cole
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Hey Bill,

Sorry wasn't clear on that all seals were replaced when the rear axle housing was replaced in Jan today I only replaced the inner on the leaky side.

Thanks

Russell
toolsnob

axle seal

Post by toolsnob »

The only experience I have had with a leaky rear axle seal is the bearing going out creating slop and the inner seal leaks. For $150 you can buy all new seals, bearings and collars..then have the new ones pressed on and your set for another 30 + years.

Alexi
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Like Alexi mentioned you may need to replace the outer seal also, which would mean bearings and collar too. I'm not sure which type of seal/dust cover you have. I have seen 2 types before. If I remember right, the older style was a 2 piece unit with separate cover and seal and the later models had a one piece molded unit for the cover/seal. Bill
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Yep,

brand new bearings and seal, of course racing this thing cuts that 30 years down to nothing. I'll see if it leaks this coming weekend and go from there.

Thanks

Russell
Mr Camouflage
Roadster Nut

Post by Mr Camouflage »

Seems like an appropriate place to post this...

My rear axle is leaking, seems to be leaking from where the diff bolts to the axle housing.

Is there a gasket that goes between there?

I guess its alot of work to remove the diff to replace the gasket if there is one.

Any suggestions?
toolsnob

gasket

Post by toolsnob »

the third member has a gasket that is sandwiched between the housing and the third member, you will have to pull your axles, unhook your brake lines to be able to remove the third member to replace the seal. If you go through the effort you might as well as replace the pinion seal, bearings and axle seals and just be done with all of it at once.
TR

Post by TR »

Russell,

You mentioned overfilling, I have heard that overfilling is one of the primary culprits in driving oil passed a seal in a diff. Since all is new and you do not have bearing slop, that may be the answer.

If you have a breather, make sure it is doing so. If not, add one! Good luck at the track! TR