carb problem?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

steve68

carb problem?

Post by steve68 »

i replaced the plugs to a colder version, also the wires, rotor, cap, points and the condenser. Still runs just the same..set the timing to 15btdc. Its running about 11:1 compression....well

Im trying to adjust the carbs for fuel flow as it still misfires alittle. if i lift up on the back carb piston the engine runs soomther. and if i lift up on the front it runs on cylinders..anyone else have this problem before?

thanks
steve
toolsnob

carbs

Post by toolsnob »

Steve,

It probably isn't your carbs but your timing. Advance it to atleast 16 degrees, you could go as far as 18 along as you don't notice a ping (predetination). You may still have it a little retarded. As far as carbs you should turn the nozzles all the way up then back them both down 1.5 turns, this is a good start. Set the idle screws the same. The motor should run rough when you lift up on either piston.

But I really think you should advance your timing before adjusting the carbs.

Alexi
steve68

Post by steve68 »

There is ping thats why its where it is at now...but how would timing affect one carb but not the other?

thanks
steve
ambradley
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by ambradley »

How do you figure it's 11:1 compression? You said the head was shaved, but the stock compression is 9:1. You'd have to shave off an awful lot to get that high, wouldn't you? Has the engine been severely overbored (like .060") to increase displacement that much?

I wouldn't consider this a factor until you've eliminated everything else. Verify timing is accurate (make sure #1 is at TDC when the timing mark says it is), that dwell/point gap is set properly, that valves are adjusted correctly, etc.
steve68

Post by steve68 »

well the pistons were hitting the head with the gasket under it! a compression check said 225. stock bore. its been cut before i had it.
ill recheck the valves...

But the carb problem, if i lift up on the back carb piston it runs smoother, is the carb rich?

steve
steve68

Post by steve68 »

well its running really well today..added 100 to the gas. the carbs had a whole mess of stuff in it. there is some little things i have to do before i can start driving it.

it has an electric fan thats always on so its very cold natured and doesn't want to warm up..so i have to add a thermostat to the fan and maybe the motor...

i had the head cut.025 and it was cut before then so its been a bit

thanks guys
steve