Tranny pops out of 1st.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Tranny pops out of 1st.

Post by SLOroadster »

My "new" tranny pops out of 1st about 4300 rpm, should I be worried?
Its a borg warner, it shifts fine, up and down, doesn't pop out of any other gears. I'm thinking as long as I don't drag race someone, I should be ok. Is 1st dying? Is something possibly coming apart that I don't know about.

Thanks,
Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Ok 2nd works. I hope I can find 3rd, its a bit of a mystery, ususially I can but I don't know if I can do it fast. If I suddenly stop accelerating, its because I'm looking for 3rd.... I know its around here some place. I'll race you on bikes as well, oh wait, thats sunday moring just up the road.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Come on Will. You are making more excuses and the cars have not even been started!

I think that it would be interesting to get the KA powered car in on this little sprint. Get 3 different perspectives on things....
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Bring on the KA. I just want to know that I will be able to drive home on Sunday without my gearbox blowing up because I romped on it with something loose inside. I wish I had the LSD in the car, but heck this will be more even.

Will
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

Mine does that occasionally. Used to do it a lot but not often anymore. It's a warner box too. Mine did it under hard acceleration at higher RPM's. It's still fine, no synchro trouble or anything. I wouldn't worry about it. Might be a weak detent ball spring. Possible it's a slightly bent shift fork so the gear doesn't completely engage. When my started doing autocrossing, I just made sure the grab the gear lever and hold it in place until I wanted to shift. Problem seems to have fixed itself.
steve68

Post by steve68 »

how did you adapt a borg warner trans?

steve
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Steve,
Its the late brass syncro box. Its the tranny my car should have had.

Will
steve68

Post by steve68 »

got ya. I would like to put a 6 speed in it. Miata?
to much stuff so little time to do it all. Still just trying to get the car running before i start getting mods for it.

steve
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I'd be down with a miata 6spd to go with my 4.11 rear end. That could be hot. Until I have more than $0 in the roadster fund, I'm sticken with the 5spd that pops out of 1st.

Will