Price Appreciation

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

66Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Price Appreciation

Post by 66Roadster »

In my experience, the younger crowd likes the Roadster. My son bought my '66 while in the Marines and a Roadster is his daily driver. At car shows a lot of younger people take notice of the Roadster and ask questions. As Scott has found out in his adventures, people really like the Roadster and want to talk. A gas stop can take 1/2 hour.

Personally - I just like the Roadster, I like driving the crap out of my Roadster, I like that people think it is 'cool', I like the reliability, I like the sounds and smells of a Roadster, and I like the people that drive Roadsters. To me, the price/resale value has no significance.
Bob
Site Supporter

Post by Bob »

Good comments.

Aficionados can and should both promote what they love, while criticizing what they don't like.

I get that.

My point is that we do not promote the true value of what we love nearly enough, in my view.

Price is set by willing buyers. True enough. But, market is often driven by the value voiced by those who know the value. When that voice is loud, the price willing buyers will pay usually follows.

We, as a group, are at cross purposes. We seek higher values at times, sure, but we more often look for and talk about bargains.

In my view, those that seek bargains often inadvertently undermine the value of the best. Not always, of course. Some cars are parts cars or basket cases, and their value is what it is.

For the superb Datsun Roadster, however, the value should be $50,000 and up, in my opinion. When we realize that, we will better promote that value and further price increases going forward.

Thanks for your consideration.
Bob
Orinda, CA

1964 SPL 310 3 Seater (U20 swap++)
2001 Porsche Boxster
Thomcraft
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Thomcraft »

If the price of parts were any indication, our roadsters value should considerably higher. Sure, OEM parts are far and few between. But so are our cars in relation to other production collectibles of that vintage.
68 SRL-311 Driver, White w/red int.
MASTER LURKER! Lurka- Lurka- Lurka-Lurka
Nothing is foolproof to sufficiently talented fool.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I certainly understand what you're saying Bob. But for me, part of the personal appeal is the fact that the car IS an underdog vs other well known marquise of similar vintage or design. They underestimate the car, the stock or modified power of the engine(s), the handling despite its solid axle and leaf spring suspension... That is until they hear the bark of the carbs, watch as they get passed at 100mph and marvel as it bites the corner hard... That's a Datsun what? Over time and with experience with the engine, even my friend Steve, who builds and modifies engines worth HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars (including Ferarri, Alpha, Jaguar, BMW and vintage classics like Stangalini etc) will readily admit that Nissan got many things right (particularly the U20 head for example, and the bore/stroke ratio on the R).

Since I'll never sell my car I couldn't care less what it's worth in dollars to someone else. I would rather have the parts needed to keep her alive stay cheaper and available, but of course as time goes by those hopes become at odds with each other as the parts disappear and those who make them available to the limited customer base have to make a living.

No, the true value comes when I downshift into the mighty U20's power band, the Dellortos bark out that wonderful "Boewupp!" and the car surges forward with an eager, grin inducing rush as the tach whips toward redline. No, she's not going to "win" every race or challenge if thrown, but she sure as hell will get some respect from those who underestimate the underdog Datsun. Let them. If that is the role this car plays in automotive history, I'm ok with it... I know what she's worth to me, and that's all that matters.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Solex68 »

Bob wrote: A Datsun Roadster won 1st place at the Concourse D' Elegance recently:
[youtube][/youtube]
Go Mike Young ! ! ! !
Whoops...I Heard Mike's name in there somewhere
Corrected to

I mean Go Ed Mason ! ! ! !
Sorry...I don't know Ed.
Last edited by Solex68 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Solex68 wrote:
Bob wrote: A Datsun Roadster won 1st place at the Concourse D' Elegance recently:
[youtube][/youtube]
Go Mike Young ! ! ! !
^That is Ed Mason
Bob wrote: My point is that we do not promote the true value of what we love nearly enough, in my view.
What are you doing/have done to promote the true value? What can you suggest others do?
Bob wrote: We seek higher values at times, sure, but we more often look for and talk about bargains.
I don't see how this different from any classic collector car marque, or online forum for that matter.
You've got the super duper rare models that fetch the big money and more "pedestrian" models for less. Seen in the muscle car and euro classic arena as well.

Personally I think this forum offers a great balance: you can still own Datsun Roadster as "entry level" or "museum piece".
Bob wrote:For the superb Datsun Roadster, however, the value should be $50,000 and up, in my opinion.
What is a "superb Datsun Roadster"? The '67 SRLs and 3-seat 1500s, even race cars in OEM condition have fetched those numbers.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
FairladySPL
Roadsteraholic

Post by FairladySPL »

Greg says:
>Since I'll never sell my car I couldn't care less what it's worth in dollars to someone else.

Good point. For those of us who already hold a 311, there's no way to obtain the market price until we sell.

Why would we want to do that?

There was a guy on here some weeks back who wanted guidance to protect himself against losing resale value in some kind of trade he had in mind for an old Detroit brand in exchange for someone's 311.

My reaction was to wonder why resale value was his top concern. I know I'm among those who have this car to drive and enjoy, not to flip for revenue.
--Paul / Annapolis
Zogster
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Zogster »

I could not have joined this group or purchased this cool little roadster if it was in those prices. That said I think these cars will appreciate not just in value but in approachability and fun.

Someone on this site posted last year that our Datsuns are the roadster's and classic cars that people feel comfortable approaching, want to talk to the owner of and walk away feeling like they have seen something uniquely fun that they can see themselves wanting.

That has been my experience as well. That is worth a lot more than the supposed value my rare Mercury Cougars, MG, Sunbeam or even my Z car. I have met and spoken to more nice people from all walks of life in this car in 1 year than I did in any of my other collectible cars the entire time I owned them. A lot I am still in contact with and see regularly. Again I cannot say that was true of the other vehicles.

That my friends is a collectible worth having, and whatever the dollar value I could sell it for really is immaterial. I have my 1600 because I have fun driving it, working on it, thinking about it, and with the people I meet. Like Greg, I don't plan on selling it so what I could sell it for is meaningless. It has paid and will pay dividends that are much more valuable than dollars.

My 2 cents!
Zogster
Anchorage, AK

'68 SPL311 1600
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Ultimate value is based upon desirability, and unfortunately as the market has been for MANY years as an invenstment. Witness recent Ferrari (150MM - I think) for $40M -WTF. and a Toyota 200GT for $1.2+. You will undoubtedly NEVER see them on the road.
I have NO desire to see our cars as COLLECTIBLES, but I am happy to see them as DESIRABLE. Collectibles live in museums and collections, unless they fortunately land in the hands of people ( like Leno - kind of) who race them at Goodwood/Le Mans/Monte Carlo/Mille Miglia etc.
For me, if we are investing in our cars for the purpose of making money - then &*^% Maybe an unmolested 67.5 SRL might reach some heights, but surely we should know that in the presence of 3000 Healey/Twin Cam MGAs, TR's, 911 we are competitive as cars in the real world and get enjoyment from that.
Roadsters gained RESPECT back in the days that they RACED, Roadsters (well maintained) gain respect on the road ( when driven well ) or look good ( or even in my case as Eliza looks right now ) interest and conversation.
As I have said before - I inherited Eliza as a 29K car worth about 10K, I have put about 8-9K in her for various reasons, and expect to put another 7K (because I had no insurance) plus 2.5 K for new engine work. Is she worth 50K - no way - but in the Mastercard method of valuation - priceless
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

FairladySPL wrote:Greg says:
>Since I'll never sell my car I couldn't care less what it's worth in dollars to someone else.
That is a myopic perspective. If you don't care the value, consider if your car gets totaled. Will you be happy if the insurance company wants to give you only 1500 or 2000 for your car? Will you demand more to try to replace it?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

But,you get stated value from the company - they agree - it gets wrecked - you get value - end of story. That's why Hagerty (for example) would give you approx $15K for about 300 per annum.
Peter Harrison
Doug and Laura
Roadster Nut

Post by Doug and Laura »

Value... in dollars..something more than I bought it for, a lot less than I have put into it.

Value... as an east coast guy when you show up with the only one at cars n' coffee...and the older guys know (who come in Porsches, Ferraris, Alfas, and old Loti), but the young ones in their M3s and STis have to have it explained to them (by the old guys, not me) why the Datsun roadster is an important sports car...that is priceless.
'81 911SC #376 (aka "Mommy's Copper Penny")
'11 Tacoma DC LB (future tow vehicle)
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Let's just face it - they are cool, unusual and WE have them, THEY don't. They are worth what they are worth, but they are often worth WAY more worth for the people who own them
Peter Harrison
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

spl310 wrote:
FairladySPL wrote:Greg says:
That is a myopic perspective. If you don't care the value, consider if your car gets totaled. Will you be happy if the insurance company wants to give you only 1500 or 2000 for your car? Will you demand more to try to replace it?
Well, naturally I keep track of what it might take to replace my car, which has a very modified and correct non-smog head/ engine etc that would be hard to duplicate. What I meant was that it matters little to me what that value is outside of insurance concerns, as the car is priceless to me such that it cannot be purchased by another. My perception or feelings of value don't change due to the dollars necessary to buy it... Except that I would be much more afraid to blast it if it cost $100,000 to replace it and it wasn't insured to that level (which I probably couldn't afford!)
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Oops - ignore
Peter Harrison