distr. allignment

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

doobop101
Roadster Nut

distr. allignment

Post by doobop101 »

I am trying to install an Electronic dizzy (a second hand Gary Boone), try as I might I cant get everything to line up right.
I have turned the crank to TDC but when I look down ito the base the slot for the onblongs is never at 11:25 as it says it should be.
I have read previous threads that say this adjustment can be made with a long screwdriver but try as I might it wont budge and I am afraid of any more torque might damage the shaft.

I have never done a dizzy swap befoe but it seemed pretty simple but I believe I am now to the point of no return.

I had the car running briefly,and badly
I understand and know the firing order. But when it was running it was popping out the carbs.
HELP
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

The long screwdriver is to turn the oil pump shaft, below the distributor drive gear, with the gear removed. Look at a blow up diagram if you have one. Does the replacment dist. have a drive gear, or does it resemble the one you took out with a sloted piece?
I think you have to remove the distributor base to get the gear out, but I'm not sure, never did it, but will need to soon.
Please post the solution, when you get it.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Setting that drive gear can be a serious pain. It took me a long time to get mine correct. It is not the root of my current evil, but it has been in the past (only after I screwed it up in the first place trying to find a diferent issue.) It takes a little trial and error, I made a print out of the alignment, cut the slot out and placed it over the dizzy hole and aligned the gear so the slot lined up with the piece of paper. Try that method.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

The hold down bracket is upside down on one of my distributors, not sure which is right. Put in a Crane optical and have to set it all up from scratch.

Just have to see which side is up and go from there. I think my drive gear is positioned right, so should be ok. My problem is getting the rotor aligned with the cap at firing position. I think the present dist has the upside down bracket, so a quick flip and go.

Is the dist base anything that wears signifigantly? I have a basically new extra, so might throw that in if there is any question.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
jand3141

Post by jand3141 »

I have advanced degrees in engineering so you have to talk slow when talking about anything practical. I also have gotten my new xmas distributor in and the car is now running on two cylinders.

Can you elaborate on what this part means:
'Starting with the SMALLER of the semicircles to the FRONT', where are these semicircles?

'and the top of the slot just FORWARD of vertical, engage the shaft to the jackshaft.'
Does this mean when putting the slotted thing back in the hole the distributor shaft goes in, when it's seated, it should be aligned forwards and backwards? What's a shaft and a jackshaft?

I really appreciate this help.

John
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Ok, here is the deal. The drive gear is offset to one side, the smaller side, set
it forward. Make sure your timing mark on the front pulley is at TDC. You should be able to drop the dizzy in and it should line up with #1 plug, and you should be good to go.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
doobop101
Roadster Nut

Post by doobop101 »

One more ?
I have notches for the markings on the crankshaft as well as some etches marks that a PO had made. I am assuming that the largest of the notches is TDC. The lobes on # 1 intake and exhaust valves are facing up and away from each other (11:00 & 1:00).
This should be closed position for both valves, right?
Rotor should be pointing in one of two directions to #1 plug, right?
If not rotate pulley one more rotation.
Oil pump nothch should be sitting at 11:25 at this point with the small oblong facing toward the front. Am I on the r ight track so far?
It seemed so simple :x
Marky510
Roadster Nut

Post by Marky510 »

I'm assuming this a U20 since you can see the cam lobes. If they are pointing up as you say then #1 cylinder is firing. Make sure the marks on the crank pulley are lined up (usually the bigger notch is TDC). If the rotor is not pointing to the #1 terminal on the cap do not rotate the crankshaft pulley, but pull the distributor up so you can rotate the distributor shaft 180 degrees. If you turn the crankshaft then #1 will not be firing anymore.
1970 Stroked 1600
Still waiting for cylinder head.

1966 Ford Cortina MK1 Wagon

1968 Volvo 124 Wagon -- For Sale

1963 Datsun WPL312 Wagon
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
twinight
Roadster Fanatic

Post by twinight »

Stickerman wrote:You can not rotate the dizzy 180 degrees because the slot is offset. That is why the semicircles are different sizes.
Actually you can rotate the offset key 180 degrees. Remove the retaining spring and the pin and the key slides off the end of the shaft. Turn it 180 and reassemble. When I got a electronic ignition already installed in a distributor, I found that the key was 180 off from where my stock dizzy was set at when I pulled it out. After rotating the key, and plugging it in, she fired right up. I think the timing slot has enough rotation to compensate for slight mis-timing during installation as the set screw was on the other end of the slot after installation. I have yet to set it it a TDC to verify correct positioning.