Stealth replacement of Roadster relays.

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Stealth replacement of Roadster relays.

Post by Nissanman »

Fortunately, my relays are working fine but here is a solution to relays which have decided to be electrically KAPUT!
You would probably be familiar with the Horn and Light relay cans mounted on the LHS inner fender well.
These devices are virtually open to the elements since the can is attached to the base board by metal tabs.
There is no attempt by the factory to seal them for protection.
Here is what you will find in each can: -
The Horn relay with 3 terminals is shown with its can on the left, the Light relay is on the right.
Very rudimentary by today's standards :roll:

Available from Electronics Stores are these little fellas, micro 12v relays with multiple contacts: -
micro relay.jpg
The micros with the appropriate contact configuration are along side the OEM relay that they replace.

As a bonus, the micros are capable of higher current load than what the OEM relay contacts are rated.
Each relay is rated at 12V 30A, more than enough to replace the OEM type.

The size of these devices allows them to fit inside the OEM can with room to spare.
Here is the Horn can with the micro inside: -

All that needs to be done at this point is to extend the relay spade terminals to a new or an original base board, hot melt glue the relay to the base board and close up the can.
You will then have modern, encapsulated, rebuild able relays that should last forever :idea:

I notice Narva has these relays available now but I bought mine from Jaycar, a local Electronics Store.
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/micro-relays
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Stealth replacement of Roadster relays.

Post by garth »

Cool idea Nissanman.

To make them last forever in the temperature extremes of central Australia or the Canadian Artic, consider a more robust adhesive than hot melt glue. I've found melt glue has a narrow temperature range and tends to release over time and thermal cycling. Epoxy or silicone is good for at least -40C - +200C and provide plenty of margin as the relays are probably only rated for 90C.

Forever is a very long time to warranty.

The voltage regulator and flasher cans provide ample volume for similar upgrades too.
Garth
_________
68' 2000