Pedal techniques

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Pedal techniques

Post by Garm »

Ok, so I am loving and hating the Roadster from a racing standpoint right now.

Heel-Toe -- wow, effortless! I just lean my foot over and it's on the throttle. Much more difficult in my other cars, this is so easy in the Roadster. Rev-matching my downshifts while on the brake, really great!

Left Foot Braking -- Impossible! Can't get my foot in there. Do you racer guys just do without this technique? In autocross, it's a game changer, especially on my boosted car.

Discuss?
1969 Roadster 1600-ish #26244 "Spike"
---------------------------------
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
AASCO light flywheels $398.95
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: Pedal techniques

Post by SLOroadster »

Left foot braking, yeah not happening. The good news is that I haven't really found a course that has needed it. The roadster is so flickable that you get your braking done early, then get back on the power and throttle steer the car through the corner. If you are understeering, lift a little and the nose will tuck, if that doesn't do it, add power and break the back end loose (hang on when you do.) If you are oversteering, back off the power gently and keep it pointed more or less in the right direction. If its really tight, step the back end out and pivot/drift the car and go for it. For a slalom, its light on/off as you go, the light flywheel helps here quite a bit.

That said, its a rare course where I need either 3rd gear or 1st gear. I grab 2nd right off the start and let it run. Occasionally on a really long slalom I'll need 3rd, but usually not. Roadsters are beautiful momentum cars, as long as you can keep the back end in line, you can get away with a lot of stuff because they are both short, and narrow. Yes, you will find yourself drifting some corners, but its not a crazy drift, its just a little bit of one. The cars do like a slightly wider line, I find that I give up too much momentum by keeping a super tight line.

As for braking, its never more than a quick jab on the pedal right before a turn, or at the end to pick up my time slip. Its a different car from the Yaris. It rewards smoothness, and will punish you if you are choppy or over-driving the car.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

If this is a thread hijack I apologize and ask that I be deleted.... :oops:

Has anyone bent their pedals to spread them out and give more room for what Garm asks about (and to make room for wider feet which is the only issue I have for now until I learn to race/autocross?)

Tim
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

^ Or even fabricate new pedals? I don't think you can get the gas pedal away from the tunnel, but the other two maybe.
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
Mike Unger
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Mike Unger »

I left foot brake all the time. I consider it a big advantage. I put custom pedals in the road race cars. When I used to autocross a roadster with stock pedals I would wear driving shoes as they were very narrow compared to most modern sneakers and this helped. Also adjust the pedal heights, lower the clutch and raise the brake pedal and this will help a lot. You may need to adjust the throttle pedal to the new brake pedal height for better heel and toe when done. You can bend the pedal angles with two big adjustable wrenches closed down on the flats of the vertical sections. You can also trim the clutch pedal a bit on the right side as you don't need it full width.

Mike
Mike Unger
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

Garm wrote:...but the other two maybe.
...definitely what I was wondering about.

I will buy driving shoes once I look (more) and find my size. 14EEEE :oops: For now I wear high top wrestling shoes that look a little goofy but are better than regular tennis shoes.

I will also experiment with bending the pedals since I have extras.
My junk pile:
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I wear size 12 EEEE and there is no way in heck that I can get both feet down there at the same time even with driving shoes.

Roadracing, yes, left foot breaking would be handy. AutoX however, I haven't found a need for it in a roadster. Heck, I can't even left foot brake with the M3. On a 510 I can, a Z I might be able to. Oddly enough, I was able to left foot brake a Miata.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

I'm glad the topic is worthy of discussion, and good to know there are multiple techniques available that work.
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
Steve49841
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Steve49841 »

I like using the left foot with race shoes, after awhile it feels natural enough for me. I don't know if it really gets you that last millisecond or not but I'm told some people like using the left foot to brake check other people that are following too close. That's just what I hear....
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

I use left foot braking on the Yaris so I can stay in boost and/or get weight off the rear.
The technique is called brake boosting, becaust you stay on the gas. Feels real nice when you release the brake pedal. :D
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
jake7140
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by jake7140 »

I left foot brake everything I drive. 'Bad' habit that has just become my norm. I no longer have good "feel" for braking with my right foot. When racing I'm switching off depending on what I need to be doing. Only screwed it up once. I am also able to heel-toe with the stock setup (size 9.5). I do not however do it traditionally either. I sort of place my foot higher up and twist my right foot so I move my foot more forward and back as it just doesn't seem to work side to side too well, and most stock pedals aren't set up for it so I just adapted way back and it stuck. I'd like to think it can make things a bit smoother, getting rid of that split second of full brake release and rolling on the throttle, or if you need some trail braking.

At a Mazda ride and drive years ago, the dude that set the "beat the pro" time at the AX course did not left foot brake. He didn't lose.
some people like using the left foot to brake check other people that are following too close.
It's a safety thing, they need to know they should brake earlier. :wink:
Steve
67.5 1600 racer
68 1600
70 SPL 2L 5spd in resto process
66 frame & shell
Shelves of parts
06 Infiniti M35
60 BMW R60/2
65 Harley Davidson Topper AH
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

This video covers most of what's being discussed;
Heel/Toe technique? Check
Proper braking technique? Check
Classy footware? Big red Check

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

^ haha, that's a good one. Love the loafers.

Can't ever beat Rohrl for foot technique though.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
Steve49841
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Steve49841 »

That rally stuff is nuts....
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

GeoffM wrote:This video covers most of what's being discussed;
Heel/Toe technique? Check
Proper braking technique? Check
Classy footwear? Big red Check

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Someone please explain to the uninitiated and clueless (me!) what the light pumping/feathering (?) of the gas pedal does (when coming out of a corner)?

Love the loafers!

It's too bad the rally footage doesn't have the foot shot superimposed like the NSX footage!

Thanks!
tim
My junk pile: