What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

tknishi
Site Supporter

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by tknishi »

Installed KYB shocks all around and Datsunparts comp springs. Also threw on the Watanabe wheels. Much better stance than before. New calipers and rotors should be in this week for next weekends project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'68 2000
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

tknishi wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:22 pm Installed KYB shocks all around and Datsunparts comp springs. Also threw on the Watanabe wheels. Much better stance than before. New calipers and rotors should be in this week for next weekends project.
tknishi, could you explain what you mean by "much better stance"?
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
tknishi
Site Supporter

Post by tknishi »

C.Costine wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:04 am
tknishi wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:22 pm Installed KYB shocks all around and Datsunparts comp springs. Also threw on the Watanabe wheels. Much better stance than before. New calipers and rotors should be in this week for next weekends project.
tknishi, could you explain what you mean by "much better stance"?
By stance I meant the car sits nice and level now. Before, my shocks were shot in the back so the rear sat low, and the front sat higher. The new shocks raised the rear a little, and the new comp springs lowered the front. Previously, the front tires had a 3" gap from tire to fender and looked weird, this brought the gap down to about 1 1/2".
'68 2000
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by DAC21 »

Were you replacing OEM shocks or some unknown aftermarket? Were you able to drive the car to get a feel for the improvement? The Bil's being offered by Vendors have gotten great reviews, but for a Sunday driver I probably will need to make $ sacrifices.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

The KYB shocks were the recommended shocks prior to the revalved Konis and before the Bilsteins came along. If your OEM shocks are shot , the KYBs will be noticeable in improvement in handling and may be “good enough” as they were for me. That said the Konis or Bilsteins may be what you really want, like many performance upgrades. As a point of discussion, though, there might be some “ performance “ upgrades you might NOT want, according to your preference, for me that would be competition springs ( too low, too stiff), Solexes ( too loud, too much gas washing cylinders and too costly)IMHO. Konis and Bilsteins are , so far, in that category. Just not a priority.
So do your homework and check the reviews, see what you want. Your money, your choice. :D
Enjoy the ride,
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
tknishi
Site Supporter

Post by tknishi »

My shocks were shot. The rears were some aftermarket, the front looked OEM, they are Konis. Are people still interested in buying these and revalving them? I've had the KYB shocks and comp springs for about 4 years, just never installed them till this past weekend.

I will definitely look into the Bilsteins down the line, I've heard great things about them. I just spent a good amount on a new East Coast Roadster EI, and new calipers and rotors from Datsunparts.
'68 2000
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

yes, your Koni's have value, post them on e-bay and be amazed.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
PandaBoy
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by PandaBoy »

Just picked up a set of new front springs. Wondering if anybody is familiar with them?
The fairladyparts.com website doesn't appear to have been updated since 2011.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Borysenko
Ridgeway, ON Canada
1969 SRL311-10641
1990 Porsche 928 S4
2007 Infiniti FX45
2009 Infiniti FX50S
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

I have not touched my roadster in 14 days. It was driven hard and literally put away wet following the Breakfast Club rally up North 10/10. Allow me to share a little of my OCD ways...I never leave my roadster dirty for more than a day. After a drive I wipe it down with quick-detailer spray. Even if it's not my car, it's what I do. 

I finally gave it a wash, the first wash since January of 2019 as the rain/grime was caked on.

Now, I am relieved. Especially after washing all the family vehicles too :)
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

Spent most of my day working on drywall in my house, but the is so my wife will keep letting me for on the car, haha. Did sneak in 10-15 minutes with some flat jaw camping pliers to work on first phase of straightening our my front end... still a lot of work to do but a little bit of progress in the right direction...

Before pics
Shane

1968 SRL Project
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

After pics
Shane

1968 SRL Project
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

Also picked up all of my parts at Nissan to rebuild my fuel pump... all but the gaskets for the spacer (supposed to be in by end of week)
Shane

1968 SRL Project
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I tackled that front valance project on my Roadster this past spring. The metal is surprisingly thin and malleable, even so it is really tough to make it look good. I used a wooden Dowell and clamps, along with various other pieces of wood to get it "good enough". Keep picking away at it, you're making good progress!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

notoptoy wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 pm I tackled that front valance project on my Roadster this past spring. The metal is surprisingly thin and malleable, even so it is really tough to make it look good. I used a wooden Dowell and clamps, along with various other pieces of wood to get it "good enough". Keep picking away at it, you're making good progress!
Can you post a picture or drawing explaining the clamps and dowel better?
Shane

1968 SRL Project
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I'll look, but I don't think I have pictures of that process. Basically use a flat piece of wood on one side of the metal, and another flat piece of wood (for straight parts), or a piece of dowel rod (for the curved portions) and clamp on the two pieces of wood to sandwich and flatten or curve the metal. Release the clamp move a few more inches and repeat. The soft wood helps shape and straighten the metal and you don't have to worry about marring the metal with the clamps. Worked pretty good for me.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG