What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

lbell101
Roadster Newby

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by lbell101 »

I was actually going for a 50s Mercedes wheel look, but it does look Porsche-ish. Yes, the front does look high so I may play with that. I am in the process of converting the interior to light tan leather. I'll post pics when it is complete in a couple of weeks.

Larry
Cyclewrks
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Cyclewrks »

msampsel wrote:
Cyclewrks wrote:Got most of the fab work done on my battery tray/ remote battery switch setup done today.
IMG_0206.JPG

Interesting, where will your battery sit when done?
Is this for a race?
Battery is going to be mounted on the passenger side of the truck. There will be a wire cable with a handle that runs from the switch to the interior of the car. Keeps me from having to drill a big hole in the body for the cutoff switch. Car is going to see some track day use in addition to being driven on the street.
"Life is not a journey to the grave intent to arrive safely in a pretty, well preserved body-but rather arriving in a broadside skid, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Damn, what a friggin ride!"- Anon
'70 1600
70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

Finally got around to putting the exhaust "pretzel" brackets on that I purchased from Dann at Rallye last November. Both the front and rear brackets were broken, allowing the exhaust to rattle around between the attachment to the exhaust manifold all the way back to the resonator! These little buggers took some persuasion to get in, especially the front one, trying to wrestle a wrench in-between the tranny and the frame to tighten up the clamp. Now the exhaust is nice and tight!
IMG_5111.jpg
IMG_5110.jpg
Now we're ready to go out for a nice Sunday drive in the warm bay area weather today!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

Got a hard top for it. Needs some work but the work it needs will be easy.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

mellis18 wrote:Got a hard top for it. Needs some work but the work it needs will be easy.
Meant to add a photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

I changed my inner tach seal. Discovered I had two seals in ther.
Only one now, pretty easy getting the big nut of with an inch and 1/8 size socket. Got a bung welded on my header too.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
car_cursed
Roadster Fanatic

Post by car_cursed »

Car was running hot. Champion radiator purchased Monday, delivered Thursday. Fitment sucked, had to drill new holes and hog out others. Put in a new 160° thermostat while I was at it.

Old and busted

New hotness
64 3 seater 1500
72 Vespa small frame 90
58 VW Ragtop Bug
lbell101
Roadster Newby

Post by lbell101 »

Just about finished up the interior change from black vinyl to tan leather this morning. The console plate is just sitting there for the pic as it's so bad I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

lbell101 wrote:Just about finished up the interior change from black vinyl to tan leather this morning. The console plate is just sitting there for the pic as it's so bad I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.

The look is very nice .

Wife and I did our dash in tan leather about 38 years ago. After 10 or so years it cracked and dried up.
Maybe your leather is better than what we had, but same leather on console box has held up fine. Maybe I fed it leather
cream and protector more often the dash.
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

Someone stop this madness! I took out my heater core so I can remove all my carpet. Getting the car super light for racing! :wink:
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

There is not a known cure.
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

Finished my top install. Took it out for a test drive. Stayed on at triple digit speeds! Dang this car is FUN!!!! Pat
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Watch those clamps. If they get loose your top can get loose fast, like mine did on Fri! I grabbed it just in time lol
Looks great.
What was your process and how long?

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

Basically followed the Tech WIKI info. Glued closed cell foam on header bar to add some padding and wear protection. Centered top on car and got it mounted to header first. Started at twistie near door to get best result for window seal. Then went to the rear-most twistie and worked my way towards the door installing twisties and posties. Then installed weatherstrip. Have double-sided velcro wrapped around clamps to help prevent clamps from letting go. Turned out OK, will only be used in dire emergencies. Took about half a day total. Pat
Cyclewrks
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Cyclewrks »

Made one big step forward this weekend, the brakes are finally done! Went with the Spriso Z conversion up front, 510 cylinders out back and a 7/8" dia Master intended for a '78 Z car. All the math says system should be valences and the pedal is hitting where it should in the stroke. Master was nice as the bleed screws could be moved over to the left side as both sides are tapped. Had to make an adjustable push rod to replace the fixed length stock one. The RB's arrived and clear without spacers. I did turn the ridge done on the front hubs to fit the bore on the wheels, seemed to make the most sense.
"Life is not a journey to the grave intent to arrive safely in a pretty, well preserved body-but rather arriving in a broadside skid, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Damn, what a friggin ride!"- Anon
'70 1600