What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by RustyBucket »

Where did you get a Kawasaki angled screwdriver ?? I ve put off removing my dashboard just because of the lose screws and removing the windshield is not happening!

I envision the glass just popping 😳
Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Steve_69 »

From the tool kit of one of my 70's Kawasaki motorcycles. In this case, a 1978 KE-175.
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by v8_ranch »

Day 9 of owning a Roadster - decided to strip a front fender to try a couple of methods to see which I preferred. I used Citrustrip an metal spatula on part of it, and on the other part, I tried just a straight blade razor on the dry paint. Both worked decent enough. was amazed at how well the dry razor method works when you get just the right angle of attack on it. Got most of the front fender done and part of the driver door. Going to hit it with a scuff pad tomorrow and get it primed. Will worry about repairs later, just wanted to see how big of a job I am heading into with the paint. The fender took me about an hour of actual work, but I had to wait for the stripper work as well - but had plenty of other things to keep me busy. Also decided to brush down the rest of the driver side of the car with the Citrustrip to let it sit overnight. Hope that leads to some easy stripping in the morning...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane

1968 SRL Project
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

V8, generally you don't ant to let paint stripper dry. It gets very crusty, and way harder to remove than when still wet. Check the instructions on your product. I have seen where it recommends putting plastic wrap over it to keep it from drying if you are going to let it sit.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

C.Costine wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:19 am V8, generally you don't ant to let paint stripper dry. It gets very crusty, and way harder to remove than when still wet. Check the instructions on your product. I have seen where it recommends putting plastic wrap over it to keep it from drying if you are going to let it sit.
You are correct sir. It did say that. I am (and was planning to be) up early today so it was only going to be on for 7ish hours overnight -land it was going to be in the 60’s. But your point is well taken. Going to find out here in a few minutes.
Shane

1968 SRL Project
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Since paint stripper no longer contains the stuff that made it work right away I found it takes much longer for it to work. The gel is better than the spray. I didn't find too much difference if it dried out some. At least you don't have to worry about dying from it now. I used the old stuff and I'm lucky I didn't pass out or die from it. I had the garage door closed for part of it. Many people did die from it before the government said enough.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

Was fine. Stripped it in about an hour this morning. Some parts will still wet and some parts did not seem to react as much, but the razor blade trick is doing awesome
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane

1968 SRL Project
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Oh baby ! Does that look way to familiar !! Start the striping process only to find bonding and boogers repairs under it a
All
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

RustyBucket wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:16 pm Oh baby ! Does that look way to familiar !! Start the striping process only to find bonding and boogers repairs under it a
All
Having flashbacks!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Well I’d say that is a 68 datsun with mopar side marker lights from the early ‘70s
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

RustyBucket wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:16 pm Oh baby ! Does that look way to familiar !! Start the striping process only to find bonding and boogers repairs under it a
All
Has some spots to be sure, but it is actually a whole lot better than I was expecting, seeing how the floor pans are basically toast
Shane

1968 SRL Project
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by v8_ranch »

RustyBucket wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:48 pm Well I’d say that is a 68 datsun with mopar side marker lights from the early ‘70s
Oddly enough, the date code on those lights are '68 Mopar, haha
Shane

1968 SRL Project
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

‘68 mopar thought so. Look like they are from a dart or fury of the day. :-)
Slackline
Roadster Fanatic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Slackline »

Yesterday: Mike Young front springs and Bilsteins from JT.
Today: East Coast EI and new coil
Rob

66 Datsun 1600 / K24
2021 CT4-V Blackwing
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Slackline wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:57 pm Yesterday: Mike Young front springs and Bilsteins from JT.
Today: East Coast EI and new coil
Game changers all... enjoy! It's cool to see how parts have evolved over time. My car may be the second Roadster to have had the EI dizzy, given that the first and only other one I ever saw was at the 3rd (?) Shasta meet... the "unknown guy" from CA somewhere (San Jose?) who had done one for his car. I brought the idea to my friend Bill Beaubier in Long Beach who went to work and before long I was getting shocked (literally) by my new ignition (comparing spark vs the stock system by pulling the plug wire away from the cap... shocked the $#/+ out of myself!). Car ran better! Bill made a few more, a few people picked up on the idea and now hundreds of Roadsters have them... cool! Over the years I went through every shock available with the comp springs and later Flexform rear springs... JTs Bilsteins were what I needed and are great. Car drives and handles better, much more comfortable... awesome!

Thanks to ALL the vendors out there, big and small, and for this supportive community that makes this so much fun.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA