So, Why did you buy a Roadster?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mellis18
Site Supporter

Re: So, Why did you buy a Roadster?

Post by mellis18 »

Back in the early 70s I had an Austin Healey Sprite and two of my friends had Datsun Roadsters. We had some great times rallying in the California Sierras and around the Central Valley. I loved my Sprite but the little Roadsters kick my butt all the time. Plus if the temperture got any where near 90 degrees (which it does regularly in the valley) my Sprite didn't like it, but the Roadsters just kept on ticking. Well I sold the Sprite many years ago (big mistake I know) but have always wanted to get another little sporty thing to tinker with. I was driving home from work the other day and saw this little blue Roadster in this brand new car lot. The guy had about 4 1/2 cars he was trying to sell so I thought I could wager a pretty good deal if he wasn't asking too much for it. He was asking $4,000. I got him down to $2,800 and I drove it home. Very excited!!!!
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe
Thomcraft
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Thomcraft »

Wanted one since i was a kid. One of my frriends older sister had a Sunbeam and i thought i would always get a little sports car like that. My brothers best friend got the first 70 240z that came into the dealership for his 15th birthday. I don't know about anywhere else but, in Montana you could get you drivers license on your 15th birthday if you had taken driver ed. I remember being hunched down in back under the hatch, no seat of course, and being tossed back and fourth while he sped through town drifting the corners. I had to have one when I grew up I thought. (I didn't have a rich dad). There wasr a guy in town that drove a 2000, the only one I had ever seen and in my mind, way cooler than the Z. Life went by, many Camaros, Chevelles, and pickups and even a Opal GT. But never came across a roadster until one day not too long ago I decided to look for one. Didn't even know there where 1600s. One day a 68 2000 pops up on CL only 30 miles away up in Priest River. Other wise the closest was a 1600 in Seattle. Went right up and bought it. And drive it every day I can.
68 SRL-311 Driver, White w/red int.
MASTER LURKER! Lurka- Lurka- Lurka-Lurka
Nothing is foolproof to sufficiently talented fool.
Zogster
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Zogster »

Back in 1980 my brother picked up a 240z that we worked on and drove. It was a blast and especially for two teenagers. The car was not the best in the snow though and we really needed the $$ so we sold it. Fast Forward to 1986 and I was renting a house with a huge garage and I was looking for a nice car to build up and ran across a Roadster while looking for a Z car.
It was not for sale but his 280z was. I bought the Z but it never quite felt like me and the fastback just always disappointed me after seeing that roadster
Even though it was the best car I had ever driven from a performance/comfort standpoint; something just was not a good fit. I sold the Z while I was building up a 1968 Mustang and then went through a succession of Cougars, hyped up VWs.
That roadster haunted me through all those cars and all those years, I looked at old MGs and Triumphs but never could commit.
Then I ran across a Roadster on Craigslist and went on a test ride. Even though it rattled like crazy, had exhaust leaks, was beat up and had lousy tires and no suspension I knew this was the car that matched my personality. I did not really negotiate and I paid way too much but don't regret it even though that car has since been sold and replaced with another Roadster. It was worth every penny to be initiated into the roadster community.
Zogster
Anchorage, AK

'68 SPL311 1600
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

This is a long post, so either skip over this, or sit back and enjoy the tale.

"Back in the day" I had a '57 Chevy 110 that my dad bought used. Stove-bolt 6 and three-on-the-tree. No radio, no back seat, fixed back-seat windows. He didn't want to get it because he thought we'd just "Peel rubber up and down the street with that big six-cylinder engine.") After my sister spun the #1 conn rod bearing I bought a junkyard 265 V8, rebuilt it, put in a floor shift and starting driving it. Somehow the timing chain jumped a tooth and I was tired of working on it so I started looking around for a replacement car. My dad only bought "weird" cars (this was mid-late 60s), like Renaults (12 & 16), Peugeots (403 & 404) and a Simca, not to mention the '54 VW he bought new, so I was pre-conditioned toward off-center vehicles. I started looking around and the choice soon narrowed to a Datsun (then it was DAT-sun, not DAHT-sun) 1600 and a Chevy II with a 327 and a four-speed. Nearly all the standard equipment on the 1600 cost extra on the Chevy II and the price reflected that.

So, since the Chevy was main-stream and the Datsun was unknown, of course I went with the Datsun. That late in the '67 model year there were no 2-liters available. I don't think I recognized the significance of that until much later. That little 1600 (#665 yellow) was my daily driver no matter what the weather, and I would take it from L.A. to Salt Lake for skiing, usually in Feb for President's day. One year I kept it at 80mph as much as I could on the way back, and I recall opening the hood when I got home and just looking a the engine, amazed that such a physically little engine could maintain that kind of speed. 750 miles in one shot was nothing for a 21-year-old. Now it would kill me.

Anyway, I discovered autocrossing (we called it "slaloming" back then) and that probably literally saved my life. I now had an outlet for my driving style (I love(d) lateral Gs more than acceleration Gs) so rather than seeing how fast I could go on the mountain roads of SoCal/Malibu, I was almost weekly in parking lots driving sanctioned events and imprinting reactions on my brain that remain to this day. That came in handy when I was clocked at 95 (they said) down Crenshaw Blvd from the top of PV toward PCH, not wanting an MGB to pass me. I got the ticket, the MG got away. Almost went to jail for that one. :oops:

A side benefit at the time was that California exempted from smog checks any car that had factory multiple carbs. My insurance company also considered it a compact car rather than a sports car due to the fact that it was rated under 100 hp, so a MAJOR saving in insurance costs. Little did they know...

To make a long story longer, I kept it registered and drove it regularly on the streets of the L.A. Basin until we moved to Salt Lake in late 1983. Then I gave it away (almost literally) and have regretting that every day since then. (Linda, you know the downtown Interchange. Imagine early morning, no traffic, race tires on the front and street tires on the back going from the north-bound Harbor to the north-bound Ventura FWY. YEEE HAAAHHHH!)

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :P
Bucky
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

Cool story Bucky and I enjoyed reading the whole thing. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
awbovee
Roadster Newby

Post by awbovee »

My current 67.5 SPL311 (in avatar photo) is the result of a long-held desire to find an old friend, my first 67.5 SPL311. So...that's where I'll start.

February 1966 Uncle Sam comes calling and I join the Air Force. After basic training, I drive home to Southern California from my first post, Travis AFB in the San Francisco Bay area. I'm driving my first car, a Simca (which DatsunBucky mentioned, above) and proceed to buy my first new car, a real pretty green 1966 VW Bug.

Three years later I'm driving around in Vallejo, CA, and see this cute little white car sitting at a used car lot. My best friend in high school had owned an MG-TD and I had long wanted a British sports car. This car intrigued me so I stopped and looked. I was told it was a 1967.5 Datsun 1600 Roadster. Minutes later I'm heading back to Travis in my "new" car.

Later that year I left the Air Force and packed all my belongings (clothes, camera and a stereo) into the Datsun and moved to Santa Cruz for college. I soon met a cute young lady whom I soon proposed to while sitting in the Datsun while parked on a baseball field. We soon married and we honeymooned and moved all our stuff (again) in the Datsun. There was soon a newspaper route in the Santa Cruz mountains that put a lot of wear on the car. In 1972 there was an accident which resulted in new front metal work and a pretty new white paint job.

Not long after the accident we found out we were pregnant and in 1973 we traded the car in on a Ford Falcon (AAARRRGGGHHH! -Stupid). The last time I saw that car it was on a car lot in San Jose. I would LOVE to know where that car is now and meet it's current owner.

Over the years there was 76 MGB and a 66 Mustang (which I drove for 14 years but also stupidly sold). I retired in June of 2011 and moved from Modesto to Hemet in SoCal. I began my search for another Datsun Roadster only to be frustrated with what I saw. Back in Modesto to visit friends in June 2012 I hopped on Craigslist and saw a 67.5 SPL311 for sale in Tracy. I headed over and it was love at first sight.

Same year, model, color as my first 1600 - I was thrilled. I drove from Modesto to Hemet (with the same young lady) on a hot summer day with no problems other than high water temps at times.

The car has 94,000 original miles on it, unrestored other than a so-so paint job and some new chrome. I call it a running project. I just replaced rear axle bearings and brakes, solved the overheating problems, and have a weekly meeting with the SU's :wink:

I love this car and would also love to find my first one. In 1972 the California plates were UXA 196. That is all the info I have. I look forward to being involved with Datsun events.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

This is my favorite topic

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
71&70datsuns
Forum Newb

Post by 71&70datsuns »

My first car was a 73 240Z at 16 years of age in 1986. Sold it in 1991 for college money. Finished college and moved to LA to marry Gina. We were poor then and could not afford a car to commute in. I stumbled into a 71 240Z for $750. Used it for years until I got a better job and got a more comfy car. Made an autocrosser out of the the Z. Sold it in 1999. I regreted it. I found it in 2007 and bought it back. Steve & Bill from Z Theraphy helped me get the Z back in shape. The Z is a contender again in autocross. First time I saw a Roadster was Steve's. I hardly fit in one. But what a beauty!

My wife saw a white roadster at PIR when Steve was racing. It's one of Steve's friend. My wife fell in love. She told me she always wanted a convertible since she was old enough to drive. She liked the Porsche Roadster from Top Gun or a VW Carman Ghia. She told me the Datsun looks way better. Today is our 20th year wedding anniversary. One month ago I asked her if she would like one as an anniversary gift. She said, "Yes." Found one 2 and half weeks ago. Bought it, lowered the front and changed rear brake cylinders with the help of Steve, Bill, and Steve Dunn from Z Theraphy. Bought Rotas wheels and a smaller steering wheel to fit me. Then drove it the Shedd BBQ event. Met the old owner Mike Stubbs who told me everything he has done with the car mechanically. Car is sound. 70 Datsun Roadster 1600. We will keep this one hopefully for another 20 years like the Z, then a 510 at our 40th year anniversary.

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/mommi ... ort=3&o=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jorge Salang:

71 Datsun 240Z-L28/Slalom Cam/Header/2 1/2 exhaust/Subaru STI 3.90 LSD rear end/Coil Over 250lbs springs/F & R sway bars & upper strut bars/MSD 6AL with 280zx Dizzy/4 piston Toyota front caliper with cross drilled slotted rotors/5 speed close ratio Motorsports tranny/ Centerforce II/15X8 XXR 113 with Toyo RA1.

70 Datsun Roadster 1600- Z Theraphy SU's/electronic dizzy/KYB shocks/Front end work and mechanical done by Mike Stubbs from Hood River. Rota RB's.

2010 Jeep Rubicon on 35's/12lbs winch
2007 BMW 335I Stock.
waky racer
Roadster Nut

Post by waky racer »

In 1969 I was visiting home, looking for an MGB to "Autocross". My Camaro was just too large to be competitive The local dealer offended my intelligence (same as the one in Louisville) by saying they did not offer overdrive (tell my brother, he had one). Driving down Broadway, I spied this ugly little Japanese roadster on the Datsun dealer's lot and pulled in to see if what I had heard about them being "quite spunky" was true. Once the salesman told me to quit babying it, I discovered it was cheaper, faster, handled better and got better gas mileage than a B. Bought it right on the spot and the rest is history. After wiping a rod bearing at the end of my first autocross season, I contacted Bob Sharp where they linked me up with a guy that had been closely involved when they raced roadsters. He got me on the right track to Solex's, shimmed 4.88 limited slip, competition springs, balance, blueprint, modified 1600 domed pistons, Tilton cam and valve hardware etc, etc. Next spring, at my first event, I went from running mid-pack to Fast Time of Day. How glorious was that !!!
Mr. Wilson - Hide-ho-neighbor

1968 2000 - bought new in 1969 - damaged in a tornado years ago
1969 2000 - Disassembled road race car (it's everywhere!!!)
1967-1/2 2000 - SOLO car - only one that runs
1967-1/2 1600 - Partially restored
1968 2000 parts car
p411
Roadster Newby

Post by p411 »

Always wanted one since I was a kid. Growing up with muscle car gear heads I let them influence me not to get a in their words "A Chicks car" I passed over soo many Datsuns but now a lot older I can careless about what anyone thinks. I now have 2 411s and a 1500 fairlady. Love them all.
mrsteve
Roadster Nut

Post by mrsteve »

Ok, I'm in...even though I haven't taken possession quite yet (real soon). I've always liked them and thought they were pretty cool. Unfortunately, a lot of missed opportunities with securing one-until now! Well the Roadster bug bit me once again, only this time I went onto the net and begin seeing all the restored roadsters, and cool builds, etc. One in particular that seem to pop up everywhere (alvingogi's 67.5) a beautiful example of a well built Roadster! To further increase my Roadster bug...I received my monthly SS magazine, and there she was again! Thanks Alvin! lol

steve
Levallois
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Levallois »

I had, and have Triumphs, 6 at one time. Now down to a TR3 that's being restored and a Herald that will be sold. Need a car in the meantime and I've always admired the Datsuns. After way too little education on my part I found a 2000 on the internet and it's being shipped to me. Should be fun.

John
68 2000 Sophisticated Beater SRL311-05765, U20-06986 matching

It ain't like it used to be, but it'll do.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Welcome John! Where are you from?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Levallois
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Levallois »

Thanks slp310. I'm in Phoenix
68 2000 Sophisticated Beater SRL311-05765, U20-06986 matching

It ain't like it used to be, but it'll do.
Bob
Site Supporter

Post by Bob »

The cool kid in High School (1969-1972) had a 1967.5 Datsun Roadster with the U20. He wasn't a close friend, but he was a friend, and he knew I admired the car. We were both on the football team. One night, after a game, I was waiting for a ride, and he offered to take me home. It was a nice Fall evening, perfect for a top down drive. I knew then what I would someday have, if I was lucky. That day came 42 years later, when I was 59.
Bob
Orinda, CA

1964 SPL 310 3 Seater (U20 swap++)
2001 Porsche Boxster