Was the Solex 44PHH Type S5 ever used on Roadsters?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Re: Was the Solex 44PHH Type S5 ever used on Roadsters?

Post by JT68 »

Some more serious constructive input. if you are going to build your own air box, unless you REALLY know what you are doing and how to test it, avoid flat surfaces especially parallel to the face of the carb inlets. Make a round surface like the factory cover.

Otherwise you may set up a resonance & dead spot in one power range that you can't tune out. You could spend weeks /months trying to figure it out. (A resonance at the wrong frequency)

If you don't believe in all that engineering gibberish google "galloping gertie".
Last edited by JT68 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I agree completely that the "huge" hp gains that some manufacturers make frequently do not show up on the dyno. As noted, to make significantly more power one has to change things a fair amount, but as you do that the "little things" start to add up. My compression is high (11.7 to 1), head is highly worked (even experimented with bigger valves on smaller stems), cam is custom, things are lightened and balanced, ignition is programmable, highly accurate and adjustable anywhere, and the exhaust is bigger. The only thing I have not changed is going to a better header than what is currently offered at my price point. At THIS point, the couple of degrees (or maybe several) of cam timing made a significant increase in power, allowing the engine to actually USE the changes made (it was best guess, so dyno work is still needed). I anticipate another bump if the header is significantly better, but as noted EVERYTHING is a compromise that has pros and cons (except for the ignition system... can't lose there). I just happen to like to tinker, so I am thrilled when I make a change and get a bit more throttle response or better A/F ratios, or even a better sound!
My friend Steve has noted very often that people come to him and want him to do such n such to a head for example to improve flow. But despite his efforts to educate and help his customer, they often do not want to think systemically, so they end up disappointed when it all comes together and they don't gain what they expect... well, they may have improved flow at the head, but they didn't take into account that the intake manifold has now become the restricting factor in the system and it needs work, and so on and so on. I've developed my engine over many years as I could afford it, bit by bit, starting with what would most likely improve things but understanding it is a system. Steve has let me tinker, offered suggestions, laughed (kindly) at a few of my ideas (like my home made water injection system), and let me learn and grow... it's been fun, and frustrating at times (a day at the dyno only to find we went backwards! Ohhhh, cam timing! I built the engine, not Steve).
Nobody knows everything, or as JT said EVERYONE would be doing it. Kinda like healthcare and running the government... gee, who knew it was this complicated?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

JT

You might be thinking of Fisker. I test drove one that had downward facing speakers under the chassis to produce running noise to alert pedestrians. With the sound disabled, it was dead silent at low speed.

Fisker is no longer producing cars. I thought the Fisker as very technically sound but just too sterile. :|
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

garth wrote:JT

You might be thinking of Fisker. I test drove one that had downward facing speakers under the chassis to produce running noise to alert pedestrians. With the sound disabled, it was dead silent at low speed.

Fisker is no longer producing cars. I thought the Fisker as very technically sound but just too sterile. :|
Garth.....FIsker was bought up 2 years ago and is in full production with improvements in Irvine Cali. Cool cars.
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000

Post by garth »

Vinnyz,

Thanks for update. Last I heard was the Fisker name was bought with talk of refreshing the design for a return to production. This is good news!
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

garth wrote:Vinnyz,

Thanks for update. Last I heard was the Fisker name was bought with talk of refreshing the design for a return to production. This is good news!
Sorry, not Irvine.....Costa Mesa, near Newport .
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

I was thinking of BMW as it turns out. Recent M5 and others do it. Google BMW Fake engine sounds, active engine sounds etc. yuck. Other mfgs too I think.

Powerful, fast car, but technology run amuck!
LT/JT
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

GM does it among others!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

Renault does it "best"
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

^That is awesome!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Maybe I'll build a phase reversing noise cancelling silent exhaust for the roadster...

Then we can all have a programmable exhaust sound system. Anything from VW bug to the Fast&Furious ricers.

I kinda like the sound the Jetson's "cars" made hah!
LT/JT
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

No, no, so sad:

"Lexus contracted Yamaha—not the Yamaha that built F1 engines in the ’80s and ’90s but rather the musical-instrument division...."
LT/JT
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

I'd go for a turbo sewing machine sound...
:smt020

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.