Altima Vented Rotors

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

exit64
Roadsteraholic

Re: Altima Vented Rotors

Post by exit64 »

You get them those at Napa, but only legally in WA and CO at the moment. In OR you have to have a card....
1967.5 SPL 311-14542 Pieces-parts
1969 SRL 311-09979
1966 411 Blackbird....Stay tuned.
1971 B110 757213 About to unleash 69 HP @6000 RPM
A carburetor man in a fuel injection world.
"Ripping the Bring* and sanding it round"
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Without KNOWING ANYTHING regarding the alleged reverse engineering of some of this product, I do know that Carl is a good Roadster guy, is an excellent mechanic and engineer, and has put together many different items for a variety of Nissan vehicles over the years. I DO NOT know if he directly copied said design or simply came up with the same solution, but that seems more likely to me than some underhanded behind the back deal. When I did my Toyota 4runner brake conversion I ended up choosing that caliper after looking at Deans site, then recognizing the caliper in the wrecking yard, noting that it met my design and budget needs, and could be adapted to a stock mount (actually, it requires some welding, drilling, tapping, shimming etc). Granted, I did not do this to sell but only for my own use, but it probably came out very close to what Dean used to sell simply because that was what was required to solve the problems. Just my 2cents...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

That is certainly a possibility and partly why I'm trying to not rant too much. It's just seems way too coincidental that he's a vendor on the site where I posted all the info about it. I'm all for guys improving upon my stuff or making their own. It's not the first or even second time someone has taken the info I've posted and used it to make products to sell. I guess that's the way things go. I'm trying to help the Datsun guys....they're trying to help themselves.

I certainly didn't figure out this brake upgrade to start with.....just changed it up so the stock hub does not need to be modified. I'd much rather work with a guy like Carl than against him.
Don't have to be too bright to be me!
http://www.bluehandsinc.com
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Mklotz70, I did see that you did not flame, but did have very legit questions and observations! That speaks loudly to me about your character, something I very much appreciate here and in people in general... thank you.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
exit64
Roadsteraholic

Post by exit64 »

Well said, Greg. Good to meet you at Shasta. Love what you have done to your car. The crankfire set up on her is super slick.
Mike
aka exit64
1967.5 SPL 311-14542 Pieces-parts
1969 SRL 311-09979
1966 411 Blackbird....Stay tuned.
1971 B110 757213 About to unleash 69 HP @6000 RPM
A carburetor man in a fuel injection world.
"Ripping the Bring* and sanding it round"
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

mklotz70 wrote: I certainly didn't figure out this brake upgrade to start with.....just changed it up so the stock hub does not need to be modified. I'd much rather work with a guy like Carl than against him.
You did asked me how I felt about it. I am not interested in more than putting the information out there so people could try different ideas........

Glad you took the ball and pushed it forward.

I like the MSD midget crank fire set-up......its a little pricey, but very easy to adapt to any 4 cylinder......
Also the one that's part of beloved SDS EFI is almost the same as the MSD midget system.....but it doesn't have switchable maps.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

How about these for your first item on the new mill.

I am thinking different spacing and off-sets......3" 3.5" ......
Last edited by fj20spl311 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

Thanks Greg. Usually when I rant about something someone's doing, it ends up being a mirror to something I'm doing.......if that makes any sense. The more I keep my mouth shut, the less my foot ends up in it. :) I'm glad Phil chimed in. It's been so long since I did the initial work on this, I would have needed to review this entire thread to remember any details. I checked in with Phil....that's all I'd hope for from Carl.........but......the fact of the matter is that I stood on Phil's shoulders(and others on here) and used his hard work and effort to produce a product.......that's really all that Carl did too. Anyway....you guys say he's a good roadster guy.....we'll just leave it at that and go back to biz as usual. :)

Phil!!! Awesome brackets!!!!!! I think you might have told me before.....what kind of mill? Any vids/pics of it in use? One of these days I'll be able to make stuff like that on my new mill :)
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

mklotz70 wrote:
Phil!!! Awesome brackets!!!!!! I think you might have told me before.....what kind of mill? Any vids/pics of it in use? One of these days I'll be able to make stuff like that on my new mill :)
I did not make these....these are the infamous unobtainium MK63 (caliper) factory FIA race brackets.

They are for you to make....LOL.......

Actually, I have an idea I will pm you about to see what you think.
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
empera
Roadster Nut

Post by empera »

Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of the 311 brake line system? I feel as i'm missing a line in mine.

Also does anyone have pictures of an installed Tilton 74 series single res. master installed? I'm not sure if i received the incorrect one.
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

check carpartsmanual.com - all there - though it depends on whether you have a dual master cylinder or a single.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
empera
Roadster Nut

Post by empera »

i have the single version of the tilton but the stock was a dual...so im switching over. However i feel like im missing a brake line. I'll def. take a look there.

Also the tilton master didnt really fit the stock studs..should i bore the holes out a bit? Seems that's all they need
empera
Roadster Nut

Post by empera »

So im returning the tilton single res m/c and looking for a replacement.

any suggestions?
was looking at the wilwood 260-3374 but it only has one output.
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

I did up a short vid the other day while checking on an inner bearing seal to include in the kit and a longer wheel stud option. These two stud options are okay, but I if I was going to be racing, I think I'd go with the studs that Dave has at Futofab.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

Wow....last post to this was 2014?!

I just wanted to add a link to a video I finally did about cross drilling the Volvo calipers. It became a moot point for awhile since the '92 244 ABS calipers were available. It's seems nearly impossible to find one of them now....the left I think. I think the manifold is out there from another vendor. I have checked with Breck and he will not be making any more. The blueprint is on my site if there's any machinists out there that want to make them. Anyway.....it looks like cross drilling may become a viable option again since the non-ABS calipers are a bit easier to find. I just had more caliper spacers cut, but I need to make more of the spindle spacers. I probably should have just dropped this kit.....which I still might. No point in spending hundreds on the DOM tubing for the spacers. Figured I'd put a link to the video here just to help anyone researching this setup as an option. :)