Error in PMWIKI Tech section

Moderators: S Allen, Solex68

pdemming

Error in PMWIKI Tech section

Post by pdemming »

Hello,
In the Electrical section. Battery; Converting from positve ground to negative ground, there is an error.

It says "Lastly reverse the wires to the coil. You want the positive wire going to the coil and the negative wire hooked to the hot wire coming from the ignition switch."

It should say "You want the positive terminal hooked to the hot wire coming from the ignition switch through the ballast resistor, and the negative terminal wire going to the distributor."

Found the error while attempting this procedure. And then verified it in wiring diagrams on the '63-'64 (Pos Ground) against '68 (Neg Ground).
Hope I posted this in the right place.

Regards,
Paul
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Error in PMWIKI Tech section

Post by S Allen »

Paul,

Just now saw this and corrected it. Thanks for pointing that out. You might check it one more time to make sure I got it right.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
pdemming

Post by pdemming »

Will do.

Paul
pdemming

Post by pdemming »

Steve,
I re-read your section on changing from pos to neg ground. And it now reads correct as far as I can tell..
However, you may want to point out, that from my experience this does not work on a '64 and thussly I would assume a '63. At least it did not on mine. The voltage regulator and wiring from said is different on a '63 and '64 from the '65 and on up. The immediate result when connecting the pos term on the battery is to smoke the white "A" term wire between the regulator and the generator.
I even tried referencing the British MG and Morris guys trick of erasing the polarity memory of the field coil in the generator. This did not work on the Mitsubishi AC model generator.
I gave up after smoking the third wire. I do not have a spare Generator or regulator to keep "experimenting" here. My advice for the '62-'64 guys is to switch to a GM alternator for Negative Ground. I gave it my best shot.