Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

krispoulin
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

Post by krispoulin »

Wow, RCMike, so many great photos! Thanks for posting them.

And thanks for saying what happened to the #73 car on Friday. I was only able to be there Thursday & Friday and was wondering happened to that car. When that happened I was at the corkscrew, waiting for him to come around again for some photos.

This was my first time to the races there and I'm already really looking forward to next year.
1967 SPL311
2015 E12
Zogster
Site Supporter
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Zogster »

Drive down the inlet today for some sunny fall sightseeing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zogster
Anchorage, AK

'68 SPL311 1600
sports imports
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by sports imports »

597 miles in 11 hours from White Rock, BC to Calgary, Alberta to visit family and friends. next is Drumheller , the dinosaur capital of North America. Sakatoon is the final destination before heading back.

Ross and Sue
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Epic trip Rossco! May the Sun Gods shine on you, be safe and alert!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RBMann »

ted heaton wrote:Wednesday drive. 8-19-15
Went to church with the 64 1500 but damn it was closed!. No religion this year.

Ted

Where is the church located?
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Preston Wa. Like 3 blocks from his house :smt069
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

DROPS meet in Renton. 108 mi.

David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Did a real nice, 500 mile (approx) loup from Tacoma, to Aberdeen, down the coast through Astoria, into Oregon, through Cannon Beach, down to Tillamook, then east through the forest/mountains to Portland, then back home to Tacoma. The car was freakin fantastic with the new cam timing and fixed brakes. Warp drive was at my command... The engine is sooooo much better everywhere, finally!
Been amazingly smoky here from the fires in the east, and we're not even down wind. Very smoky in OR on hiway 6, and the "tune your radio to such n such" traffic signs were flashing, but my stereo is out so who know what was going on. Great day drive for WA State based Roadsters. Only bummer was the extra hour on I5 in an epic traffic jam from Lacey to nearly hiway 512. Man that sucked.
Sorry, no pics... My wife is in Maui and my cell phone camera sucks, but my face still hurts from constant smiling! The public continues to love Roadsters... Add nine more to the ranks of "cool car!", "what year is that?", and "my best friend had one of those...". There's just something about a Roadster...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Gregs672000 wrote:Did a real nice, 500 mile (approx) loup from Tacoma, to Aberdeen, down the coast through Astoria, into Oregon, through Cannon Beach, down to Tillamook, then east through the forest/mountains to Portland, then back home to Tacoma. The car was freakin fantastic with the new cam timing and fixed brakes. Warp drive was at my command... The engine is sooooo much better everywhere, finally!
Been amazingly smoky here from the fires in the east, and we're not even down wind. Very smoky in OR on hiway 6, and the "tune your radio to such n such" traffic signs were flashing, but my stereo is out so who know what was going on. Great day drive for WA State based Roadsters. Only bummer was the extra hour on I5 in an epic traffic jam from Lacey to nearly hiway 512. Man that sucked.
Sorry, no pics... My wife is in Maui and my cell phone camera sucks, but my face still hurts from constant smiling! The public continues to love Roadsters... Add nine more to the ranks of "cool car!", "what year is that?", and "my best friend had one of those...". There's just something about a Roadster...
Must have been very pleasant to get away from all the smoke,, momentarily.
I enjoyed two days in Coos Bay prior to Shedd. So nice.
David

Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I decided to take advantage of the weather here in WA, and the free time, so I motored on out for another fun run today. Ran from Tacoma south on I5 to Woodland, then east on 503 up toward cougar. Oh MAN what a nice road! Got to hit it with NOBODY in my way and the carbs and cam on song. Lots of great turns, well signed, and while there were some roughish patches, they didn't last too long or cause much upset.
After the turn out to observe St Helen's however, the road deteriorates CONSIDERABLY. I have driven that stretch before, but it has gotten much worse in the past year or so. Some seriously bad dips, broken pavement, sink holes... And no warnings really, or signs other than "rough road". There were dips there that, if taken at speed, would break suspension parts i believe. Not a Datsun Roadster happy road in many places. But, we danced around, rubbed some tires, tested some brakes and got through.
And something extra happened along the way...
From the beginning of the northern side of the road past the St Helens turn out, a motor cyclist and his wife followed me down the broken path, blasting along with me, dancing from lane to lane as we tried to avoid the broken and unheaved pavement, until the road smoothed out near the end. Once we finally came to the end of the road and were at a stop, we talked and laughed about our journey and how bad but exciting it had all been. "That's a Datsun Roadster, huh." he asks with what sounds like a Canadian accent. "Yep, had her for a long time" I say. "Sure was fun following you down. Do you ride motorcycles, cause you were driving around the ruts just like one?" "Well, this 1960 suspension is NOT designed for roads like that!" I exclaim, smiling. "Datsun Roadster dance man, now THAT was fun. Safe paths!" he says, and off we ride, he and his wife to the right, me to the left.
Short encounter. A moment in time. The Datsun makes a friend. I'm so freakin blessed. Sometimes I forget. Enjoy the little things, like 20 minutes on a bumpy road. They make up life. A good life.
What I'm about to say may sound kinda morbid in some ways, but understand, since working in an ER, you come to better understand that death is part of life; period, end of story. The thought crossed my mind while driving today, that if I were to suddenly crash and die, at least I can guarantee that I was freakin happy right up to the "bad moment". The moment I run out of talent as they say, or something bad just happens. That part would suck, but pretty much everything else right up to then would for sure have been just great! There is something very satisfying about this car. Sometimes there are not too many things in life that can compare to the Datsun Roadster Dance. I truly do "enjoy the ride".
Safe paths my friends...
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

@ Gregs672000 Okay, how hot were your rear brakes? :wink:
Matthew 69-2000
Roadster Nut

Post by Matthew 69-2000 »

Drove the roadster back up to school in Virginia for my last year. I decided to take the longer way to avoid the 65mph zones because this was my first 100+ mile trip in the summer heat. I also took a pit stop in Roanoke, VA to take some pictures near a friend's shop and I ended up running into another Datsun owner! We spoke for a while and I found that he owns a 67.5 roadster, a 72 240z, and a 280z as well. This was my first encounter with a fellow owner and I am thrilled that there is someone familiar with the cars nearby.

I also spent the week in Monterey for Car Week and I saw this gorgeous roadster in downtown carmel after the concours showing. Looks a lot better than mine! Is it anyone's on here?

1969 2000 Roadster
Los Angeles, CA
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

Is that 'petrol' ?
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Last Sunday I DROVE through the Almaden Valley
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

^ A true example of proper Center Caps!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG