Flat Dash Conversion--any write up on this?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Flat Dash Conversion--any write up on this?

Post by fj20spl311 »

pebbles wrote: I am entertaining your idea of using the 69 column, we'll see how it goes. I don't have an early column right now. I don't know the tube diameter difference. More homework!
The late tube will fit through the early dash without any modification, if you use the late turn signal the wires are a tight fit through the notch, so you might want to open it up a little.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Thanks Phil
I like the collapsable shaft in the late column too. The splines in mine are still tight, the rubber is good, and the firewall escutcheon/plate is in good shape.
Ive heard the early shaft dubbed the "death spear".
I will be handling the componants this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Removed the ign and fit the tube in the dash and firewall. Need to make some minor adjustments to the dash face attach points to get the shaft and dash face 90 degrees to each other (I dont know why the shaft would come thru crooked). I will cut the shaft support from the 67 and fit it to my 69. Trim the 69 and reinforce the 67 support. I dont have an early TS switch or surround. More on that later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Its getting close to fitting a pad and TS switch!i will have to fab some doublers and shims after fitting, mod a few items, then attach the steel, and weld!
David

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Some more fooling around. I just couldnt get the left handed key to work, so I am hoping this swap resolves my problem.
Lemans starts are cool, but,,,
David

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

fj20spl311 wrote:
pebbles wrote: I am entertaining your idea of using the 69 column, we'll see how it goes. I don't have an early column right now. I don't know the tube diameter difference. More homework!
The late tube will fit through the early dash without any modification, if you use the late turn signal the wires are a tight fit through the notch, so you might want to open it up a little.
Is the saddle clamp welded on the early column? And is it sandwiched between the dash and early support? If I don't use the early saddle clamp I may have to fab a filler/shim.?
David

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Is the saddle clamp welded on the early column? And is it sandwiched between the dash and early support? If I don't use the early saddle clamp I may have to fab a filler/shim.?
I dont know. My mentor had several 5 gal buckets of 521 stuff, and I found the saddle clamp woo hoo (I only had to dump two). Looks the same and fits in the roadster space. No fillers to fab!! :D
If the late column wasnt so heavy, I could get rid of the late support.
I may keep half, we'll see how this "early" clamp holds things in place. IMHO using the early shaft and tube would simplify the swap and save weight. I havnt welded anything yet. :wink:
David

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

The early dash mount bolts in the a pillar are vertical, the late are horizontal. I used the existing aft hole on the car, and slotted the lower hole in the early dash. I am no expert, but the cowl is an inch longer on the late car so I am splitting the difference. One could weld in an upper nut, or thru bolt it. However the late car has a doubler in the jamb, so that would possibly need to be opened up to access the bolt head. Another option would be a nutsert on the inside for the top bolt. I made a tapered bracket to pick up the fwd (late) nut. Now it needs welded to the dash both left and right sides. Considering the nutsert between paychecks. :cry: One bolt may work as well. Fwiw.
David

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

scrounged an old pad,,,preliminary fit is acceptable.
David

msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

pebbles wrote:scrounged an old pad,,,preliminary fit is acceptable.

Sorry my man, but this here thread leaves me dangling :shock:

After having to be reminded I drive a roadster with a "death spear" or "evil javelin" I
think I'm entitled to a picture of the final product! :lol:

Great work by the way!
andyroo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by andyroo »

So parts list is:

Dash face with trim
Upper metal dash mount
Dash pad (i.e. the one from Dean http://www.datsunparts.com/1292
Gauges

Then the questions are:

Late steering column (recommended)
early turn signal stalk?
???
1968 Datsun 1600
2005 MINI Cooper S
llbratcher
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by llbratcher »

I am a new member of this forum and I know this is a very old thread.

I just received my 70 model 1600 with a U20 motor and transmission installed. I like the looks of the early flat dash better than the late dash. This thread and the forum have been very informative.

Just to make sure, is the old (67 1/2 and earlier) or new (68-70) dash mount used.
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

You must remove the new "late" dash to cowl mount and replace with and old "early" one. The requires drilling out spot welds and welding in the proper one. Been there done that. Keep asking questions. Lotsa help on this site. Pat '69 sr20 resto-mod
Kinnaird
Roadster Nut

Post by Kinnaird »

Back for another revive of this thread, I was wondering if anyone had maybe a cad mockup of the flat dash with dimension as I want the flat dash but plan on repositioning some of the garages and such so would prefer to cut out my own holes but need the overall shape. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Respectfully,
Kinnaird
1968 Datsun 1600
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

Kinnaird wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:25 pm Back for another revive of this thread, I was wondering if anyone had maybe a cad mockup of the flat dash with dimension as I want the flat dash but plan on repositioning some of the garages and such so would prefer to cut out my own holes but need the overall shape. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Respectfully,
Kinnaird
Have a read through this thread:

http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15620
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.