Flat Dash Conversion--any write up on this?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Flat Dash Conversion--any write up on this?

Post by GoldHawg »

I know quite a few of you have done the conversion, and the search shows a few of the issues. But has anybody that's done this written up a how to, or could you? I got some photos from michael spreadbury, but they are on how to weld in the piece from the 65-67 that the dash bolts/screws into (which is a very helpful first start, thx Michael!). I'd like to get my gameplan together on how to do the steering column, ignition, guages, wiring, etc. So if someone has this info, I suspect I'm not alone in wanting this. If there is a link that I've missed, appreciate a hat tip.

thx!

Test_Fit_Dash_Pad_4.png
Welding_in_Dash_Top.png
Dash_Test_Fit_3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Re: Flat Dash Conversion--any write up on this?

Post by GoldHawg »

One more photo
Dash_Install_Photos_1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Being a low windsheld guy, the conversion is unnecessary for me. :mrgreen: That being said, I have the sacrificial piece from a 67.5 if someone wants to do the conversion. It looks straight forward to me.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Thx...I understand from other posts there is an issue on the steering column size mismatch, and a few other things. I don't think anything is insurmountable, but sure would be nice not to have to learn lessons that someone has already learned.

I already have a 66 dash, but I still need the lower console piece that has the heating controls.
K1200 GT
Roadsteraholic

Post by K1200 GT »

So why is it so important to have an early flat dash? If ya want an early dash why not just buy any early car? And that goes for every one not just you. Just seems to be a lot of work ....for what? :shock: Maybe I should do it if everyone is going to be impressed. Inquiring minds want to know.

Richard
Life is good...but I want more
If I cant fix it, It aint broke
Rich

2000 Miata Special Edition 6 spd/LSD
1970 SPL 311
1999 Dodge 3/4 4x4
1986 Toyota Cressida
2003 BMW K1200GT (1200 cc)
1992 BMW R100RT (1000cc)
1969 BMW R69S (600cc)
1997 BMW 328I
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

K1200 GT wrote:So why is it so important to have an early flat dash? If ya want an early dash why not just buy any early car? ... <snip> ... Inquiring minds want to know.
Richard
Richard, please don't take this as a "bash", it's certainly not meant as such. I think we here on the forum like to have things that are "different." Why else would we be into them there DAT-soons anyway? 8)

As to installing a flat dash in a high windshield Roadster, maybe some folks are tall and like the coverage of the high windshield, but don't like the 4-in-1 gauges or the puffy look of the padded dash. I think installing a flat dash would be easier than installing a high windshield on an early body. And adding that windscreen piece that James Garner used in the classic movie "Grand Prix" would look just plain goofy.

Using that logic (just buy a low windshield Roadster), a logical extension would be: Instead of going through all the trouble to do an engine swap, why not just go buy a Miata to get a modern, fuel-injected engine? Just about anyone can go down to the Mazda dealer and pick up a front-engine, rear-wheel drive, two-seat convertible. Just sit down and drive away. With a warranty. And better handling. And reasonably-priced LSDs. etc, etc. But we're not "mainstream" people. We gotta do "it" our way.

Bottom line: If someone wants to do something to their Roadster, it's up to them. If they like it, but we think it's ugly, so what? It's just like someone's choice of color or choice of wheels and tires. What they want, they want. We should appreciate the quality of the work, whether or not we would do the same thing to our car.

(This is entirely my opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the management of this station. :wink: )
Bucky
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

K1200 GT wrote:So why is it so important to have an early flat dash? If ya want an early dash why not just buy any early car? And that goes for every one not just you. Just seems to be a lot of work ....for what? :shock: Maybe I should do it if everyone is going to be impressed. Inquiring minds want to know.

Richard

For me, I will be going fuel injection and I like the look of the gauges a lot better. But I don't like the low windshield for riding in. Just personal preference.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

K1200 GT wrote:So why is it so important to have an early flat dash?
In general, the flat dash looks better than the plastic one. It has "charm" with metal trimmed gauges, toggle switches
If ya want an early dash why not just buy any early car?
Some folks like the extra coverage of the tall screen, and the other things that come with the later cars like flares, dual circuit brakes, etc.
And that goes for every one not just you. Just seems to be a lot of work ....for what?
For what? Because it makes them happy. They are after all, driving the car, not you. DId you buy a tall windshield car because you love the look of the dash?
:shock: Maybe I should do it if everyone is going to be impressed.
If you are into impressing others, than go for it!
Inquiring minds want to know.
Pretty simple, it looks good.

Richard
Take a poll :lol:
this
Or this
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I did this conversion more than 5 years ago.

The reason there is not a write up is there are so many different ideas and pieces you can use. I have changed my options several times.

Which stearing column / turn signal switch?
Which Heater box?
Which dash (usually 66, 67 or67.5)?
Which switches? early or late?
Which Gauges?
Which Ign switch? early or late?
Which console?

What would be the easiest conversion IMHO.
Autometer gauges in a 66 dash.
Stan's early dash pad.
Use orginal ign switch and switches and column.
Use orginal column modified to fit, mount the heater controls under the dash to the right of the console.
Install the defroster vents from the padded dash into Stan's dash pad.
Advantages are you do not need or want the filler panel. The wiring is straight forward. Even the turnsignal light holder will fit into the early indicators. No heater control or flasher problems.

Phil
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
sleepyzzz
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sleepyzzz »

i have to say the flat dash looks better to me. love the toggle switches.
1967 SPL1600 sold
2015 Nissan Rogue
2015 Altima

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/sleepyzzz56/roadster/IMG_0252-1-1.jpg
EScanlon

Post by EScanlon »

Or you can do as I did and get one of each.... :smt006

E
mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mgslayer »

Personally I my tall windshield car, dual brake master, etc, but prefer the looks of the flat dash. That's why about 2 yrs a go I got a basket case 66 that had everything I could possibly need to do the conversion. Dash, steering column, heater core, etc. To me it just fits the style of the car better. With Jake just a little over a year old and walking into all sorts of trouble I don't have a clue when I'll get to do mine. Hopefully someone has a writeup by then to help me out. If nothing else pics would be great.
Happy Wrenching
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

K1200 GT wrote:So why is it so important to have an early flat dash? If ya want an early dash why not just buy any early car? And that goes for every one not just you. Just seems to be a lot of work ....for what? :shock: Maybe I should do it if everyone is going to be impressed. Inquiring minds want to know.

Richard
Several reasons, Some folks have a personal attachment to thier cars, and want to keep them, mine was for sale 20 miles away and a good canditate for a custom, (Im a NOOB), most cannot afford 2, and early cars are not as availible in some areas. I just like the nostalgic look of the early dash.
This was my dash
Last edited by pebbles on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

fj20spl311 wrote:I did this conversion more than 5 years ago.

The reason there is not a write up is there are so many different ideas and pieces you can use. I have changed my options several times.

Which stearing column / turn signal switch?
Which Heater box?
Which dash (usually 66, 67 or67.5)?
Which switches? early or late?
Which Gauges?
Which Ign switch? early or late?
Which console?

What would be the easiest conversion IMHO.
Autometer gauges in a 66 dash.
Stan's early dash pad.
Use orginal ign switch and switches and column.
Use orginal column modified to fit, mount the heater controls under the dash to the right of the console.
Install the defroster vents from the padded dash into Stan's dash pad.
Advantages are you do not need or want the filler panel. The wiring is straight forward. Even the turnsignal light holder will fit into the early indicators. No heater control or flasher problems.

Phil
Great info, to have i will be using it in my "upgrade" :D , Got any pics?
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Image[/quote]
I like Michaels dash/car, Alvin. Nice shot
David