RIP Dennis Currington

A place to pay tribute to fallen folks

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RC240z
Roadsteraholic

RIP Dennis Currington

Post by RC240z »

This has been a tough year for the Datsun Racing Community with the loss of Floyd Link earlier this year. It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce that we have lost one of our own members. Dennis Currington passed away this evening from medical complications following his most recent stay in the hospital due to a respitory illness.

Forwarded from Les Cannaday:

Many people knew Dennis from his love of cars and racing and he got to combine some of those two when he started working for Les Cannaday many years ago and was able to attend not only the shows but later some of the races we got into and he was a fantastic auto crosser in his day as well.

Dennis was an excellent photographer and had in the past few years when not able to work anymore create a website devoted to his photograpy and Passion for all things automotive. Since he could no longer work for Classic Datsun due to health constraints, he started doing website work and it was here and through some of the wonderful peple we met over the years putting on the Datsun shows and getting involved with vintage racing he was able to connect with some of his heros and actually was able to take over and redo some very prominent websites for Tony Adamowicz and John Morton as well as the Classic Datsun site, design products racing and a few others as well, allowing him to get to interact with many other famous racers and photographers who accepted Dennis as one of their own after seeing his great photos of races he attended. http://classicracingphotos.com/Gallery2/main.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dennis was truely one of the gentle souls and just a great guy and he is going to be missed. You could always see Dennis really upbeat when he was at any event with cars and great people even though he might be in some pain it never showed just as very recently he was able to attend Coronado when he came back to San Diego for a medical treatment he made sure to come early so he could spend time with his friends at the race and got to spend some time with Adam Carolla and Sandy and Donny as well as Duane and Ron and Mic and Bill. I can only hope his photos of that event have been posted as it was the last time many of us got to see him in his element and smiling.

His wife does not want any cards or flowers but really hopes that we will all celebrate his life and when the time is right we will do just that. Rest easy my friend.

Les Cannaday
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: RIP Dennis Currington

Post by bmccarthy67 »

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die. - Thomas Campbell

You will be missed Dennis…your patience with me every time I ordered a part certainly reminds me of your gentle soul and calm demeanor…my condolences to family and friends. Les thanks for sharing this with the community and again, I’m sorry to hear of the passing of your friend and ours. Ron thanks for forwarding.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

I'm so sorry to hear about Dennis. My sincere condolences go out to the family and friends of Dennis. I was lucky to meet Dennis on a trip to CA and emailed often with him since then about racing and related activities. He was Datsun and racing enthusiast and more importantly a good guy and will be missed by many.

Mike
Mike Unger
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

God speed Dennis.

Dennis was the person who got me involved in auto-x. He gave me a thrill ride in his car at an auto-x at Qualcomm around '96 or so. The most intense 50 seconds or so I had ever had in a roadster!

He will be missed.
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I am blessed with the memories of Dennis at Les's shop and The Races. He will always be remembered by me. The early dash in my 69 is out of his old green 66. I remember the night we took a sawall to cut it out.

RIP Dennis You will not be forgotten.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

Sad news. My heart goes out to his family and close friends.

I knew Dennis through roadsters and we started talking by e-mail in '03. We've chatted 2-3 times a week since then. I remember how tough it was for him to part with 67.5 SRL.

Dennis inspired me to be a better photographer. I considered it a great honor to have photos posted on Dennis' classic racing site.

We finally met in person last year at the BRE Reunion in Socal. I will miss him.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Thanks everyone.

Alvin, great photo! There are so many photos that Dennis took, but not many of him.

Ron
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
fossil

Post by fossil »

Dennis Currington unfortunately passed away in early December,
2009. As some of you may know he had created some excellent websites
that were primarily full of photographs of all types of cars that he
had taken or acquired over the years. The pictures include race cars
from various classes all the way to many interesting cars that he
owned during his adult years.

This message is being sent at the request of Dennis' wife.

The sites, racerguy.com and classicracingphotos.com, will remain
dormant until the family decides on their disposition.

Please forward this message without revision to anyone that may have
interest.

Thank you,
Stan Chernoff
Calspeed
Roadster Nut

Post by Calspeed »

I have been out of touch with the community and recently signed onto 311s. When I saw the link "In Memory" I was terified to visit.

I was pretty close to Dennis while active with the Datsuns. I remember the many firsts I had with Dennis. The memorable drive in his 2000 as we exited CDM's driveway.
Dennis "You like to go fast right"
Me "Give me whatcha got Dennis"
Me <silent... as I pushed my feet against the floorboards>

It was the first time I ever went sideways in a Datsun. And it was Dennis that took me there in his slammed, raw, obnoxious, British Racing Green SRL. Actually, I think it was a 66 with a 2L in it.

Then I remember Dennis taking the time to do a "Currington tune-up" on my 2000 before I went on my 3000 mile roadtrip to New Mexico and back to SF. It was a crack up seeing this huge man getting into my engine and doing his thing. Then he said lets go for a ride. Sure enough... the Solex's breathed well and the points were spot on. Enough to spin the wheels in 3rd with the big man in the passenger seat.

Another fun time was when Mr Katayama was in town. He was visiting the CDM facility with his entourage from Japan. While in the shop with all of these "big wigs" of Nissan stiriing around and eating pizza and drinking beer and taking pictures I hear a mention of a big party happening at one of the executives house in Rancho Santa Fe. Unfortunately I wasnt anyone important in the Datsun Community so I didnt get the invite. This was during the time I made the 1999 Classic Datsun Calendar and Dennis thought that it was important for me to be at the party. Okay with me but... I dont have an invitation to this Very Fancy Party in Rancho Sante Fe which was being throw by one of the ad executives for Nissan. Well, to make the long story short, Dennis told me to just follow him there. And not only that he encouraged me to park inside the compound with my roadster. So I did. Right next to his fierce machine. I entered with Les and Dennis and it was an amazing night. I gave calendars to all of the guests and it worked in my favor in the coming months. Thanks Dennis!

But my favorite memories of Dennis was when I would drive south to see him and Les. They would ask me what I wanted to eat and it was always... "Lets go to Islands Burgers!" Just me Dennis and Les eating big ass burgers and drinking beer. We would talk cars and racing and garlic fries and bacon. Lots of laughing and talk of the future. He was old enough to be my uncle but acted like a big brother. You know, the kind that gives good advice then does donuts out of the parking lot as he waves so long.

I hadnt talked to Dennis in over three years. Maybe even more. But the memories I enjoyed with him are fresh. I will search out the pictures of us and put them up.

Michael

"Hey Dennis... why do you have Fulda tires on your 2000? Are they any good?"
"They're okay, but I can do good burnouts on them and they are cheap"
Cool!
SDkvrd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by SDkvrd »

This is a photo I took of Dennis Currington's 1966 U20 equipped (Solex) Solo II Datsun Roadster as it was in approximately 1998-99 (before the rear flares were added). I think this picture was taken at the Surfside Nissan show in and around that time frame. What I remember most about that car was the roar of the Solexes...sweet sound indeed. RIP Dennis.
1967 Datsun 2000 SRL311-00067
1973 Datsun 240Z HLS30-168065
1975 Datsun 280Z HLS30-209491
2007 BMW G650X Challenge
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Dennis and I were friends......we had some fun times and I have hit islands with them a few times myself.
I have the dash and instruments out of that car in my yellow car.....well it used to be in the yellow car....its in the shed right now.
RIP Dennis, you are not forgotten......
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB