New member from Canada

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

tomcat53

New member from Canada

Post by tomcat53 »

Hi everyone,

I was recently given a Datsun roadster 2000 (or 1600 with an engine swap?). A friend of mine who presently owns the car thought it was a 1966, but he doesn't really know. To make a long story short, not much is known about this car as it was given to the last two owners and neither of them really wanted it. The car is totally dismantled, but I was told it had most of its parts. The seats were in a severe state of decomposition and were tossed. The body has been sitting under a deck for the last 6 years exposed to the rain and the snow, and therfor shows quite a bit of rust. The frame is in really good condition and was stored in a garage. I haven't really looked closely for the vin number, but I'm assuming it's been grinded away as the frame was supposed to be part of another restoration project and they had started to prep it. The U20 engine, which leads me to believe the car could in fact be a 1967 instead of 1966, is missing the carburetor. There is no exhaust. Needless to say, it's going to be a major restoration project. Oh yes!... have I mentioned that I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge... So, you're probably wondering why I would undertake such a project. Well, it's simple, the car was going to be scrapped. I just couldn't let that happen. I've lately develop an interest in cars and I've been wanting to purchase a classic muscle car to try and restore it. I know, the roadster isn't a muscle car, but it was free. So here I am, spending hours on the internet trying to find as much information as I can to make this restoration project a success. I'm thanking you in advance for all that I'm going to learn from you.

J-F
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: New member from Canada

Post by garth »

Where are you located? Having a third roadster on the street would be cool.

BTW, there is no such thing as a free roadster!
Garth
_________
68' 2000
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Welcome.
tomcat53 wrote:I was recently given a Datsun roadster 2000 (or 1600 with an engine swap?).
Yeah, the first hit is always free.
garth wrote:Where are you located?
Yes, please fill in the Location in your Member Profile.

If the frame-prepping wasn't too agressive, you'll find the VIN on the left (driver's side) frame rail near/aft of the steering box.

What's the engine number?

We like pics.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
S Allen
Site Admin

Post by S Allen »

Welcome JF-The VIN number is stamped into the frame on the front left hand side if you were sitting in the car. The VIN plate is usually affixed to the cowl under the hood on the passenger's side of the body. Good luck with your project and ask away, And, yes we do like pictures.

SA
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
tomcat53

Post by tomcat53 »

Thanks for the info. I updated my location in my profile. I'm from Boisbriand, Québec.

I'll try and check for the number when I get a chance. The car is still at my friends' as I need to coat my garage floor with epoxy before. Right now the frame is not completely accessible.

I promise to take pics when I get the car. Thanks again.
windy311

Post by windy311 »

Welcome to the fray enjoy the ride.
1964 1500 H20 powered 5 speed
1965 1600
Rob.
tomcat53

Post by tomcat53 »

Pete, the engine # is u20-03628

Unfortunately, the vin plate is missing and most of the VIN on the frame is gone due to rust damage. I borught a box of stuff home today and found 2X 2000 emblems, 2X DATSUN emblems and individual letters DASUN, (the T is missing). By the looks of the car, I don't think anyone modded out a 1600 and change the emblems for those of a 2000. Can't wait to get started.
Tim
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Tim »

Hi J-F,

Welcome to your knew addiction. There is a vast assortment of knowledge and knowledgeable people here at the site. They love to answer questions and are most patient. Enjoy your car.

Tim,
Akron, Ohio
1968 1600 Roadster
Link to pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20862891@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;