Single leaf rear springs. (longish post)

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: Single leaf rear springs. (longish post)

Post by SLOroadster »

I don't think shackle flex is that much of an issue for most people. With a panhard, it shouldn't be due to the fact that the axle is already located by a pivoting rigid arm.

I did speak with a friend about getting a set of Konis revalved and it looks like it will be about $800 (ouch) and they do wear out. I guess the piston seals are made of leather. The cool thing is that they can be modded to have external adjustments on them. If one really wanted to drop some $$$$ they could be made as external double adjustable ones. I don't have that kinda $$$$ however.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
311 junkie

Post by 311 junkie »

dbrick wrote:And once it's here, we can measure it and get some made.

We just need to spread the parts around.
If someone could put hands on these ...and spread the love.

Good right up BTW.
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

311 junkie wrote:
dbrick wrote:And once it's here, we can measure it and get some made.

We just need to spread the parts around.
If someone could put hands on these ...and spread the love.

Good right up BTW.
This Wikipedia link provided the following info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like we need a European Datsun Roadster owner to check this out and consult a "local" Volvo dealership for the exact part number and subsequently the price.

Chris66 (Denmark, I think) comes to mind.

Chris, are you there??
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
Daryl Smith

Post by Daryl Smith »

A different point of view.........
http://www.eatonsprings.com/monoleaf.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe MGB parts will bolt right in....?? (Thanks for the link Mike!)
http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/rs202.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mga10a.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris66
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Chris66 »

Guys, i'm on to this, sorry for not spotting this topic, i called a car junk yard today, price is $75 a piece + shipping, maybe there is other places with better prices, that is one thing i have to look in to.

Let me know what's next.

Chris
SPL311-05204 R16 22895 - 20% of Danish roadsters
1966½ - 1600
Not half year, half car
Daryl Smith

Post by Daryl Smith »

I'm assuming these springs can be made/modified to different lengths:
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... oducts.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty pricey tho....

Edit: They're made for the Camaro.......

My question now: Is the Volvo 360 leaf a steel or composite piece? If composite, it would be a great swap!
Chris66
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Chris66 »

Daryl Smith wrote:My question now: Is the Volvo 360 leaf a steel or composite piece? If composite, it would be a great swap!
I would say no, without knowing it, they came on model 343/345/340 and 360, the two last is a modified version of the two first.
If you guys want some, i can send you a shite load, but it better be by ship due to price.

Chris
SPL311-05204 R16 22895 - 20% of Danish roadsters
1966½ - 1600
Not half year, half car
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

I sent an email to Hyperco to see what minimum group buy would be required to engineer a composite leaf spring for the Roadster. I'll post their reply.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
Daryl Smith

Post by Daryl Smith »

"I sent an email to Hyperco......"
:lol: I did too, but also asked if any of their current springs might be adaptable to a 2200 lb. car with eyebolts about 48" apart........ :lol:
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

Daryl Smith wrote:"I sent an email to Hyperco......"
:lol: I did too, but also asked if any of their current springs might be adaptable to a 2200 lb. car with eyebolts about 48" apart........ :lol:
doh :) ok, lets see what they say. I see the racers price for a pair for a C4/5/6 is $350...I'd be in at that price for sure.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I'm not sure that going with composite springs is a good idea due to weight balance. If you swap the heavier stock springs out, the weight bias moves forward. I'm thinking unless one has a good way to remove an equally large amount of weight out of the front, composites aren't the answer. Personally I'd rather start with a car that has a rear weight bias that moves forward toward 50/50 as fuel burns off.

So what would a set of those 360 springs run if shipped to Ca? As long as its less than $550, I'm still interested.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Will, with the lighter springs, maybe you could ballast the car back to balance with less weight right at the rear bumper. Farther from the CG, the more it shifts the balance, so with totally random figures, 30 lbs of half sprung weight off the springs may be offset with approx 10 lbs at the bumper, same balance, less unsprung weight and a net savings of maybe 10 to 20 lbs? Also less inertial mass for the shocks to deal with.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
st3ph3nm
Roadster Fanatic

Post by st3ph3nm »

Chris66 wrote:
Daryl Smith wrote:My question now: Is the Volvo 360 leaf a steel or composite piece? If composite, it would be a great swap!
I would say no, without knowing it, they came on model 343/345/340 and 360, the two last is a modified version of the two first.
If you guys want some, i can send you a shite load, but it better be by ship due to price.

Chris
The Volvo springs are steel. Nontheless, they weigh about half that of the original leaf pack. Chris, if you can have a look at the different models, that would help. I believe that my springs came from a 360, around '86 or '87. You can pick the right ones by the loop at the end. Have a look at the pictures of mine to check it out. At the rear eye, it should "lift" and loop, so that the spring eye is in line with the centre line of the spring. The others are a bit fiddly to re-engineer, I've been told, and also may be a different spring rate.

Actually Will, I hadn't thought about the balance implications of composite springs. I would think that relocating the battery to the rear would probably compensate, though.

Cheers,
Steve
SR311-01113 U22
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

So Dave, are you implying I should build a set of lead bumpers seeing as how I don't have any :wink: Yeah I see where you are going with that. To be honest, I've never corner weighted the car, so I can only guess where the CofG actually is. I'm also not sure I trust a fiberglass spring. It might be ok for a full track car that rarely/never sees street use, but since I like to drive my track car on the street, I'm not so sure. Life under the car can be a harsh place, and any composite layered material that is subjected to flex and repeated peppering with grit and gravel along with other debris is not going to last for long. I gotta say thanks, but no thanks on that. Odds are they will be fine, but I don't want to be around when it fails. (Kinda like a carbon fiber bike frame.)

As for the battery, mine is all of 11 lbs and not worth moving back there. I need the space in the trunk anyway.

Will
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

Hey Will, you know the stock Corvette springs are composite right?
Geoff
1969 SPL-311