Going KA-T

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Re: Going KA... No BEAMS....yet!!

Post by nismou20 »

Nice wheels. I hope it is in your plan to move the weights to backside of wheel once cleaned up.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

Thanks nismou20
I do want those weights on the inside, I think it just looks so much cleaner.

Just a little update. Haven't really worked on the car. But my wife is in between jobs and is wanting to play Mrs. Mr. Mom so time might be coming my way. As little time as it may be it's still a welcome vacation for me :wink:

So I have been working on the brake design. its not really hard just some measuring and math. But take caution millimeters really do matter here. I have measured my wheels and have found that the Spriso kit would work but that would be to easy and take the fun out of it. :wink: Someone once asked me
"why would you go through the hassle of figuring it out if I have already done it for you"
Well; I actually have a background in engineering. I like the "figuring it out part" of the project. It's fun. But different stokes for different folks :)

Anyway my wife got me a little 3D printer for my birthday and I've found it quite useful in this process. I got to play with these machines years ago in school when the tech was relatively new. I forgot how fun it is 8)

So I've done some mounts and rotor hat. And am waiting for the rotor section to finish printing. This is what I've got so far.
IMG_5659.JPG
IMG_5658.JPG
IMG_5657.JPG
These printed parts are surprisingly strong and are great for fitment.

I'll post more Picts in a bit of how it all fits together.

Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
steved033
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by steved033 »

I agree with you charlie. I'm a mechanical engineer. I think i have more fun in the build and problem solving process. it makes the end result so much more worth it.

sjd
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Not much going on as of late. But yesterday I had the rubber pulled off so I could get the wheels bored out and refurbed. I recently purchased a cheapo harbor freight shop press and it paid for itself by separating the spokes from the barrel; the first of which was f-ing scary :shock: but all went well and of course the second one was a lot less stressful and easier.
IMG_3366.JPG
I got two done, the other two I'll get done today or tomorrow. Once they get bored out to fit the roadster hub Ill blast them (on the back first to make sure that the blasting won't hurt them, might need to change to a different media or even a chemical, but don't really want that) and then I'm going to powder coat them. I'm thinking a black chrome 8) . Polish the barrels and viola nice wheels.

I'm also getting some alignment bearings made for the axel to prepare for the "Narrowing"
So hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get it taken apart and prepare the LSD for a rebuild and get to the "Narrowing".

Lots of plans but no time :roll:

Oh yah and thanks to cktrap for the springs, fenders and front apron. They're going to save me time on the body work.

Cheers
Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

The wife told me I needed to get away from the kids so she "forced" me out to the garage :mrgreen: Who am I to argue :wink:
So got my wheel centers back from the machinist. They fit the hubs perfectly. Can't wait to get them on the car, but that will have to wait awhile. So I put two of the wheels back together so I can use them for reference for norrowing the rx7 rearend.
IMG_3450.JPG
I then decided to start cleaning the other centers up. I hooked up an old dyson vac to my blast cabinet plugged in the compressor and got to work. Then my compressor broke :? ...so plugged in the small compressor and got to work at a slower pace :roll:
IMG_3452.JPG
It's slow going and there are some hard spots to reach in the small cabinet but I think the wheels are going to look great. I'm going to powder coat them a black chrome with a clear coat 8) Damn I can't wait to see these wheels on the car!

More to come

Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Starting to get things together that I need for the "narrowing," as I call it, of the rx7 rear end.
So far I have my alignment bearings, that I purchased from a vendor, Leadmineproducts, on eBay for a ford 8" rear, which had to be machined down to fit the Mazda rear.
image1.JPG
I purchased an alignment rod which is just a 5' long 1 1/4" o.d. steel rod that has been turned polished.
I have also gotten a sacrificial third member from a Miata, NA or NB, that had a torsion LSD in it :shock:
image1.jpeg
image4.jpeg
I'm not sure if the splines match from the Miata to the rx7 but when I yank it all apart I'll take a look.

Ive also prepped and tested my setup and oven for powder coating. I'm going to try to coat some test pieces here soon so I can start getting the smaller pieces done and have them ready for when the frame gets done....when ever that is :roll:

I'd also like to say thanks to Potato-judge for the roll bar, hard top and ride in his kick ass little roadster. He's got a really nice roadster and I hope to get the north Texas, if not all Texas, gang together for some food and fun. Of course it would help if I had a running/driving roadster. :smt005

More to come

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Update

So we're moving! :roll:

It's one of those really far moves, it's like 2 whole miles! Short moves are the worst moves :Tosser: But we're getting a bigger house (that I have to clean), it has a pool (that I have to learn to take care of) and I loose my office/theater. But it has less than a quarter of the yard to mow than the current house (3/4 acre) and the big gain is that I now have a shop alllllll to myself :smt003

So I've started the packing up the garage and roadster. Which starts with putting the body back on the frame.
IMG_4364.JPG
I took this opportunity to see how the wheels are going to look on the roaster
IMG_4367.JPG
IMG_4366.JPG
I am so happy. I think they look gorgeous!! :mrgreen:

I looked at the clearance on the back and they fit perfectly. No rub in or out. Beautiful!
Now I know how wide to make the rx7 rearend. :D

With this move, school starting and my little one going to school two days a week I'm finally getting time on the car :smt005

More to come once we get settled

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Update: Haven't done a damn thing to the roadster!

So we've moved; we've sold our old house (took 24hrs for above asking with a 2 week close :shock: ) :mrgreen: and in that time we've housed refugees from Houston, I guess that makes a sanctuary house :lol: ; we've gone to Houston to help a friend and to go to a wedding that Harvey could even stop!

And now the task of unpacking the crappy job of packing we did. Can't find a damn thing :oops: :roll: Short moves are the worst! Of course my wife wants the house unpacked first and of course I want to go and set up my new shop....guess whos winning? Ill give you a hint...
gar1.JPG
gar2.JPG
gar3.JPG
Yep shes winning :lol:

But durring this move Ive started to gather more parts and am making a plan as I just found out Im getting a bit of a monetary injection for the project from the sale of the house. I'm like a kid in a candy story.

More to come!!

Cheers

Matthew
MattK
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

I'm not coming by until that's all sorted out. lol
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

I think I see it in there!.. it looks great with those wheels. Racing Harts or something?
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

cktrap wrote:I'm not coming by until that's all sorted out. lol
Of course you are...I need you to install a 220 outlet for me! lol
2mAn wrote:I think I see it in there!.. it looks great with those wheels. Racing Harts or something?
Thanks
The wheels are SSR Dori2.

Cheers

Matthew
MattK
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

SSR! my fav wheel brand. They mustve been really light... and expensive. I guess its slow enough at work that I can go back through the whole thread now
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

2mAn wrote:SSR! my fav wheel brand. They mustve been really light... and expensive.
2mAn-I love these wheels. I looked for 3yrs and almost went a different direction but found this mismatch set and jumped at it.

So I’ve made a bit of progress on the garage unpacking.
66DD7C55-0199-4E2D-A5A4-8BF7C26499CD.jpeg
44942CAA-F731-4D83-9AD1-6C7B885D1E91.jpeg
Now I’ve got to get the body off the frame and get to the suspension. After that I will only have just everything else to do :roll: :lol:

Cheers

Matthew
MattK
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Charlee this 521 truck at JCCS reminded me of your build.
BEAMS!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Alvin
That’s pretty sweet!
Just the other day I came across a BEAMS motor for a good...neh great price and was a heart beat away from getting it. But I’m to far in the KA build. But I still think it’s a really cool motor.

Cheers
Matthew
MattK