Going KA-T

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Sudo
Roadster Newby

Re: Going KA... No BEAMS....yet!!

Post by Sudo »

Congratulations Matthew.
Get that room done then try to find an hour or so here or there to keep momentum going.
This is how I lost momentum on my 521. Took a 1.5 year project into 3!
Steve

1966 Datsun SP311 WIP - KA24DE/5spd
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

So I finally got a little time to work on the roadster. My wife is being nice (she's also has a remodeled bathroom that I've done for her :roll: )
It he first thing I did is clean the garage and got the body back of the frame and back on to the rack. Gonna get started on the suspension but it's gonna take a long time to do. :|

I also got to the parts cars sitting the back. I cut off the fender I needed and salvage whatever else I could. I then took the cut up carcass and loaded it up for recycling. Buuuuuut guess what, here in Texas you can't recycle an old piece of rust without a freaking title :shock: Ya ya I get the reason why but it is still freaking frustrating. So now I have a pile of roadster on the side of my house. But I got a plan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I feel your pain on the carcass disposal. Florida is the same.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Looks like the baby needs a new battery.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

So I know it's been a while but I've had a little time here and there to work on the car. My little one is already crawling and trying to stand at seven months :shock: . I was hoping for a dumb kid that was a savant at potty training :wink: ....oh well I guess a smart kid will do :roll: .
I've spent a lot of time the past few months doing research looking for wheels and reading how toos. I've got most of the rear suspension designed and now I just need to find the time for fabbing it up. I went today to the steel yard to pick up metal for the rear suspension and motor mounts, felt like a kid in a candy store. I can't recommend going to a steel yard enough to get what you need. Saved a ton of money and got more than I needed.

I've also begun to strip down my RX-7 rear end. I did half of it in less than two hours. It's not really as hard as I thought it was going to be. Need to get it stripped down all the way for norrowing and fabbing of the real suspension.

Hope to get out there tomorrow and get some picks for y'all.

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Well got some time in the shop today. Didn't really get much done, didn't even get to weld :x , but I did get some frame side brackets made for the right side motor mounts.
image.jpeg
The brackets are a bit sloppy but it's the best I can do with the tools on hand. Had to cut the metal to its basic shape with a sawzall :shock: , getting pretty good at it too. Then lots of grinding :roll: It's a slow process and it doesn't help the I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Now I have to make the bracket that goes to the block....Hell ya the Cowboys just lost to the Jets!!! :smt003 ....anyways I'm going to have to do this all on the other side later. I did order a metal bandsaw blade in the hopes that it will speed up the process, we'll see.

I did get to use my early Xmas present to myself. Found this as an open box (that hadn't been opened) for $40 at Tractor Supply.
image.jpeg
I did a couple of parts and like the results. It's not the best cabinet but it works for what I need. Though I did take it apart and sealed the $hit out of it and got moisture trap. That part only took 15 min :D
image.jpeg
Here's a pict of the rx-7 rear end that I got half done.
image.jpeg
I have also finally made a decision on wheels. Thanks to Shant67 I have decided to flare out the fenders, because some said the car didn't have enough flare...
image.jpeg
...this will allow me to use the wheels I want that only come in 8" or wider
image.jpeg
Well hope everyone has a Merry Christmas

Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

Fenders with a flare in Flower Mound TX. What could be finer ... wish I still lived in Coppell I could motor over and

view all these fine things and maybe even borrow something :shock:

Merry Christmas
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

'Twas looking at those Kensei wheels, it will complement your car nicely!
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

charlee0620 wrote: I have also finally made a decision on wheels.

...this will allow me to use the wheels I want that only come in 8" or wider
image.jpeg
Matthew
Just a few heads up, if you aren't aware already:
1) This is a copy of the SSR Dori Dori
2) It is a "faux-piece" wheel: those are not real bolts and it is not a true split-rim
3) They changed the name of this wheel from "Hentai" to "Kensei". Yup, they actually called it Hentai.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Datsun.David
Site Supporter

Post by Datsun.David »

Hentai = Pervert or Deviant

I learned a handful of critical terms in a year in Japan...
67.5 SRL311 #00050 - Silver - SU
67.5 SRL311 #00544 - Sora Blue SU
68 Roadster Race Car
69 SRL311
69 SRL311
72 PL510
74 260Z - Silver
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Yes I know all of that :roll: . And did you know finding the super unattainium dori2 wheels in decent condition in the size, bolt pattern and width that I want, much less need, for a reasonable price has proven to be futile :shock: . And the thought of paying $2k or more for wheels for my first resto is absurd :lol: . So copies it is. But truthfully I didn't know about the sick pervert stuff....but hey different strokes for different folks :P .

Merry Christmas
Matthew
Last edited by Mattk on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

For Christmas I got a cool present from Santawife. I got a powder coating system from Eastwood. But to my dismay Fedex has "misplaced" the item and is currently looking for it...greeeeaaaat :roll: comforting! Can't wait to play with it.

I also pulled out an oooold bench bandsaw and ordered a metal blade for it as an experiment to see if it would cut 1/4" plate. It works!! Not the fastest cut but it will make my life easier 8)
image.jpeg
Cheers

Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Well it's been a while. Haven't had much time but recently I got some time on the car...or Flang-gang-go as my oldest named it :P
So I finally got the motor mounts done. It took me a year but they're done! :mrgreen:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Now I can finally get to the rear. Narrow the rx7 axel and build the 4 bar.

Should take me but 5 or 6 years at this rate :roll:

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

So haven't had much time to work on the car, but we did get a new mini van....so I got that going for me :roll:
I recently made a small purchase though
image.jpeg
Sexy 8)
Maybe someday I'll actually get to work on the car again.

Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Well I've gone and done it!! I done went and cut down the "home tree" and found me some "unobtainium"!! :shock: :twisted:
image.jpeg
They definitely need some work and the center bore will need to be opened up but they are the real deal that I've always wanted 8)

Oh yes and Alivin those are real bolts!

So this allows me to move forward with the project. I looked at doing the Rota wheels but had trouble finding rubber the was streetable to fit without doing the stretching thing, which I don't really dig; and with the Rota I would have been forced to flare the wheel wells, which is a lot of work. Now I don't! So by buying these wheels I will not have to do all that work which has saved me months of work. I will call that progress...since I'm not going to be able to actually work on the car for some time to come :?
Matthew
MattK