Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

Post by SLOroadster »

inline4 wrote:Alvin, I'm jealous, i think you're the only one that drives their roadster :o
Uh, hang on there, I've done almost 3K miles in mine since the 2nd weekend in December.

I scared the crap out of myself driving down to Monterey yesterday morning in the rain for an AutoX. The trip was randomly punctuated by moments of sheer terror as the car would suddenly hydroplane in a random direction, not to mention that I had 3 unmarked cop cars pacing me from Pleasenton to Fremont on 680. I wasn't even speeding.

The race was a bad case of too much power and way too little grip. The only way I was able to even sort of control the thing was to use 3rd gear on a 2nd gear course. No doubt the wrong car for the job. Even with 3/4 tread Toyo RA1s, it was scary, scary, and more scary.

At least the trip home was dry.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

I DROVE to...
ZCarGarage to check out a few neat cars, like a rotary-powered bug!
Then I DROVE to See's Candies :mrgreen:

We spent the rest of a 75 degree day cruising around until sunset, it was fun!
Last edited by Alvin on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Damn Alvin, that second shot of your Roadster is AMAZING, the reflections are perfect - including the drivers door window!
There are just awesome reflections at every panel! Beautiful photo!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
DaRoaster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DaRoaster »

I drove the Roaster to Pescadero, met up with a bunch of other auto enthusiasts for a run through Skyline. I spotted some nice sunday drivers like a GT40, TVR, and a 914 6, among others. Our crew was ecclectic: Rolls Royce, Chrysler Imperial, and a bunch of others, pictured.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/5797161 ... host=rides" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was one other guy there with a Datsun, a Solexed '68 2000. John Let me drive it, and now I understand what all the fuss is about. It only wants to go fast though. :D
Dennis
1970 1600
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

I drove my roadster up and over our mountain-side test track road that is literally around the corner from my house. It was good to exercise the roadster and hear that sweet SR20 sing as I worked it through the twistys!

We have had a nice couple weeks of dry weather up here, so the roadster has been making trips out in the evening... No top down weather for us yet though!

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Spent 2 hours messing with a fussy front carb on my '65 1500. Finally had it running okay, and ready for a trip to the local grocery store. It was a beautiful day with temps in the low 70's.

--FAIL--

About a block or two from my storage unit, the front carb started flooding and spitting fuel (again). Luckily, I was able to make it back to the storage unit before it completely flooded out.

I put the car away with threats of a fuel injected future.....
Dan
Houston, TX
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

oh yeah after the candy store we went to the Kragen's to get a K&N breather!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

A full WEEK of rain is in the forecast starting tomorrow so we DROVE the roadster today under partly cloudy skies. We went to Home Depot to pic some paint up and found this gorgeous 'Stang:

We also ran into a local roadster owner who is restoring a '68 1600(not aware of 311s.org) so hopefully he will be online soon!
Cruised around Skyline then came back to volunteer at the community center. The lot had some pretty cherry blossoms so I took a few snaps:
It was a warm weekend but it is going to get cooler :cry:
Last edited by Alvin on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

I drove to Malibu. Nice crisp winter driving, California style

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I drove around the block 4 or 5 times...Bedding in my new brake pads. I am going to like these new tires. The tires did not rub, but I did not test them very hard.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
66Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 66Roadster »

Drove up about 5 miles to pick my daughter up from a friends house. She loves the Roadster. Just put a new voltage reg on and on the way home my gage spiked and the Roadster started running very bad with cylinders dropping out. Pulled over and did not find anything wrong. Started right up but as the 'charge' came on from the alt it pagged my gage again. Pulled over and unplugged the voltage reg and all was good on the way home....???
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Phil,
Here's a thread on the issue of an ammeter pegging: http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... +regulator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also those mechanical VRs can be adjusted.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
DEUCE

Post by DEUCE »

Sat 2/19 I brought home a hitchhiker I had picked up on I45 south whilst coming back home in our leggy with our middle son. The man was looking to go back north but not via H-town. I hadn't driven our dd for a while so after a quick check of the fluids I started her up, she fired up pretty quick. Took the top down, managed to stuff his backpack in the back and off we went. Left our town and headed 146 north past Laporte and Baytown. This was our #2 fairlady's first road trip over the Fred Hartman bridge which is over the Houston ship channel. Exited to I10 east, looking for a truck stop which is where he wanted get out. Didn't see one so we finally got off to a gas station and I dropped him off there. He thoroughly enjoyed the ride, I'm sure not even as much as I enjoyed the drive, and told me about the mgb he used to own. He assisted me several times as, due to his sideways sitting backpack in the back, I couldn't quite see everything with the rear view mirror and I've not yet mounted the right side mirror. The weather was overcast with sporadic spots of sun breaking through the clouds and seemed to be threatening rain in the direction we headed but it all held out. I got "lost" on my way back as I did not catch 146 whilst heading back west on I10. I turned off some side road and found myself near/on San Jacinto Port blvd and I flagged down a chemical tanker. asked him directions. With his guidance I continued I10 west, got off to 610 loop and caught I45 south back home, stopping by to see a Buckeye friend at the dealership where he is working, more so to show him our roadster. All in all I drove her 100 miles plus and had a blast, she never disappoints. That evening I took her to the local car meet and parked kitty corner from a sweet Austin Healy Sprite, met/talked with her owner, I loved that it didn't have a trunk and the way her head lights are set on the hood. A young gun drove up with his (I think '07) z and, after some discussion, I gave the keys and told him to take our deuce for a drive. He came back and said it was "different", I'll say heck yeah, it's a real old school car!! Also gave her to a couple of subaru bros and had them drive her. I like showing our fairlady to people so they can get to know about datsun roadsters in general, not to show off ours in particular. I've known them for nearly 41 years now and, although I'm in denial, it is my disease and I am a roadster nut here, proud of it too!! There is one for sale now in Dallas as I write, ebay item # 140515604692. If I had deep pockets, I would buy her......Peace......OB
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

You are one brave soul, letting that many people take your ride for a spin! I let a select few people drive my cars, and would have to say there is no way I would let them drive the Roadster without me in the car for the drive!
I love that you are spreading the word and the fever. Still you live dangerously - a hitchhiker and strangers driving your ride in the same day?
Glad the story has a happy ending, no mass murderer and no trashed Roadster or clutch!! :-)
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Southern hospitality is legendary, but be careful, y'all!
Glad you had fun. Where's the pic?

Linda