Going KA-T

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Going KA... No BEAMS....yet!!

Post by pebbles »

The retainer bolt boss is close , but with the urethane mount, its not going to move much.
Looks good so far.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

So got bored again and photoshopped this.
Possiblities_chrome3-.jpg
I like this one! Now I just need to match the color somehow.

Thanks again Ken :wink:

Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Quite doable! I like the wing window delete. Great color...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Greg
Thanks! The sad part is I didn't even notice the window delete, that's Kens doing, but I got admit I like it too. I'm gonna do windows though. Useless of course I figure out how to do removable wing windows....hmmmmm!

David
Thanks for the pictures. It has helped me a great deal. After seeing them I think I might want to go more in a red direction. But ultimately the decision is going to be made by the boss (wife!). There's a Lexus red that I saw at Solvang that I liked. I'll see if I can dig up the picture.

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
nissantoy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nissantoy »

Matthew

That would be my wifes car and it is Lexus 2010 matador red.

nissantoy
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Nissantoy-
Thanks for the color info! That's what my wife likes, but I'm going to try to see if we can get the Ford Ruby Red. But its my wife's decision in the end :roll:

So haven't gotten much done lately...lots of family (in-law) drama going on! And it doesn't look like I'll get any quality time with the car anytime soon :( But I did buy a dash pad and trim for the dash conversion. The pad is not in the greatest shape but it will make a great template for a new one; the trim is in great shape! Its got all of the pins no pitting and only has one blemish that I think will be workable!

My next task has changed. I'm going to have to cut off or at least trim the oil pan. There's a drain protrusion that hits the bottom a arm on the passenger side, so before the motor goes in it has to be amputated :twisted: Any other KA guys run into this porb? I have an extra oil pan so if I screw it up I can take it to someone who actually knows what they're doing!

So that's my update, nothing exciting.

Cheers
Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

So I got a little time on Friday to do some work on the oil pan. I took about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch out of the nub that pertrudes out of the right side of the oil pan. I "forgot" to take pict of the welds. They were ugly! But I did get a good amount of practice grinding on them :wink: There's still a couple of spots I need to touch up then I'll test for leaks. If all is well I will slap it on the block and mount the engine in the frame..keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Happy Easter to all! Hope everyone had a good egg day! :D

So I got some progress made. My goal for the weekend was to get the engine in the car! Mind you not full bolted in but more to see fitment and clearances...got that Clarence. :P
I'm getting time on the car this weekend because I moved my in-laws last weekend from San Antonio to Dallas; as cktrap would say "my marriage equity was high!" :mrgreen:

Saturday with much enthusiasm I started out by drain what little oil was in the engine and pulling the oil pan so I could install the modded oil pan with the shorter nub. This involved me pulling of the tranny and putting it on the engine stand, which sounds like a bitch but it made quick work of cleaning up the surfaces and not making a mess on the floor of the garage, plus I didn't really like the idea of trying to do it on my back with the motor dangling from a hoist :? . Now I should say at this point that I am not going to run the motor or turn it over or anything; its going to be rebuilt....so my use of brown window/trim silicon for the seal on the oil pan and pipe dope for the drain plug (that got marred during the pan modding) is kinda okay :oops: I then turned my attention to the tranny mount. I drilled two holes for the tranny bolts to go thru and got to putting the engine in :mrgreen: After some wrangling to get the motor rotated and the tranny mounted I put the factory mount brackets back on the block
MountClearence.JPG
I then welded in some scrap L channel to support the motor via those brackets, which worked out well and would have been a hell of a lot easier to weld if I had simply removed the front wheel :oops:
OilPanClearence1.1.JPG
You can also see the tight fit of the oil pan to the bottom a arm but it clears and I can drain the oil! So I got that going for me :wink: Had to call it a day at that point. But this made me happy! 8)
EngingeIn.JPG
ShiftLocation1.JPG
But this did not.... :x
TranMntRt.JPG
TranMntLft.JPG
So today, Easter, I got out and immediately got to putting to body on the frame....man I was excited! I was ahead of schedule!
BodyUp.JPG
It was tight! :shock:
FireWallClearence1.JPG
But it was to tight. The body was not going down on the right side. So after crawling and and poking around and rainbow of four letter words :evil: it was determined that the motor needed to be moved forward 3/4".......F....Bomb!!!
So off came the body and out came the motor and I got to cutting! I determined that I could cut out half of the old mount and just add a new section of C channel butted up and welded to it. I also widened the mounting area for better clearance. In the process I found a tool I was looking for :oops: Looks like I sealed it in there....wow!
Found2.JPG
It word out pretty well!
TrannyMount2.JPG
Got the holes drilled....got the motor back in....and then got the body ready...
BodyUp2.JPG
IT FIT....holy $H!T it fit...I literally danced a jig :smt026
The shifter was perfect and everything clears.
ShiftLocation2.JPG
EngineIn2.3.JPG
HoodClears.JPG
And then it was time to sit with the family and have dinner...but I got done what I wanted to....just barely! :smt003
UnderRack2.JPG
More to come.

Cheers

Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

So haven't done much lately, family kickin my ars. As is life. Anyway I've been doing a lot of research on doing a four bar suspension. I would like to do a triangulated four bar, as I don't really want to do a panhard bar or watts. I've found a set up that has really got my attention in Herb Adams book. The Satchell triangulated suspension.
image.jpg
So I, of course, found the excel suspension calculator and have been playing around with set ups. The cool thing is while I was doing some research I came across the email address for one Terry Satchell. He is the designer of the set up that's name for him. He worked as a suspension designer for GM for years and has had his hands in the design of the Firebird and many solid axel race cars. Shot him an email and I now have a real guru willingly helping me with my cars suspension. 8) way cool!! 8)
Hope to have more soon.

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Fun stuff, enjoying the write up. How cool that you have the suspension help! Lookin forward to how it comes out.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

So it looks like my project is going to be put on hold for awhile or at least physical work that is. We have had an addition to the family, a baby girl, Qwinn, who is going to garnered my attention for awhile. This is not a bad thing...not at all!! She kinda snuck up on us so I'm going to finish work on the house and her room. I imagine I'll get some time on the car in a couple of months. But until then I can at least gather parts for the project such as the unobtainium RX-7 rear end that I just acquired. Thanks Keith. I might look at getting the wheels now but no turning wrenches.
Cheers
Matthew
MattK
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Congratulations on the addition, the car will wait for you. Just don't delay so long you forget how to put it back together!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
theunz

Post by theunz »

Now you know who the next owner of your car will be! Congrats.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

Congrats on the baby. Maybe she can pick your color for you someday.
I used to live in Lewisville and then Coppell both sorta near Flower Mound hope
all is well there.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)