"I'm Not a Car Guy." - A 1967.5 1600 Refurb Saga

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: "I'm Not a Car Guy." - A 1967.5 1600 Refurb Saga

Post by iloveredmeat »

funkaholik wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:26 pm This is awesome. I mean, this is a roadster story that has it all, including sharks and recipes. Here's one thing you got wrong, though: you are now absolutely a car guy! This photo proves it:
Add to that the meticulous restoration you've done on the console and other parts, and it's obvious that you're

"One of us! One of us! One of us..."
Ha! You caught me. I specifically took that photo of my greasy hand to send to my Car Guy Neighbor who was giving me heck because he thought I was standing around watching my brother do all the work.

I don't consider myself "One of you..." quite yet, but I do appreciate the encouragement.

Next up Shark Recipe!

just kidding
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Woohoo!

I got my master brake cylinder back from Karp's.

It took quite a while, so fortunately I wasn't in a hurry.

Beautiful work, and very, very nice people. Hard to get mad at them for taking so long. In their defense, he has had trouble sourcing some of the rubber.

I fell into another one while I was waiting for this one, and have sent it up to Karp's for them to assess.

So, fingers crossed that the one I sent is also viable. If that's the case, I may have one to sell – if anyone is looking for one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by DAC21 »

iloveredmeat wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:30 pm Woohoo!

I got my master brake cylinder back from Karp's.

It took quite a while, so fortunately I wasn't in a hurry.

Beautiful work, and very, very nice people. Hard to get mad at them for taking so long. In their defense, he has had trouble sourcing some of the rubber.

I fell into another one while I was waiting for this one, and have sent it up to Karp's for them to assess.

So, fingers crossed that the one I sent is also viable. If that's the case, I may have one to sell – if anyone is looking for one.
Nice, I hear nothing but good things about Karps, their shop is all of eight miles away from my home.. But lead times are not good for the impatient. A few folks some time ago mentioned Apple Hydraulics out of NY as an alternative with better lead time.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

It Rolls!

First off: a huge high five to @raylim for lending me a steering wheel so I can work on refinishing mine while still being able to move the car around the lot.

Ray responded to my request and graciously offered to ship me his spare to use as long as I need. How cool is that?

Thank you very much Ray, you epitomize the best of this community, and restore my faith in humanity.

(Custom shifter not for sale.)

Finally, after 4 months (!) I went up to my car last weekend! The trip was initially intended to watch the dyno and take my engine "home". But, there's been a delay: race cars take precedence during race season.

I totally understand, but it meant the focus of the trip had to change – and that's not necessarily as easy as it seems.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but being 531 miles away from your project car is not ideal to making progress.

It's true.

Please understand, that while so much of the world is suffering, that is NOT a whiny complaint – matter of fact it's a strong reminder to be grateful and appreciative of what we had – and what we hope to have again: the freedom and confidence to travel safely.

I have been fortunate to make some quick trips, and quickly learned that most or all work plans for a trip disappear once you get punched in the face. i.e. broken bolts, rusted parts, stupid little nearly-impossible-to-reach-things, too cold to paint, rain, etc.

As a result, those limitations and hurdles amplify the small advances and make them feel big – and this trip was a perfect example.

Since the dyno was postponed, I decided to get my car to actually roll. That sounds straightforward – and probably is straightforward for 99% of you car guys – but for me, it would feel huge.

Taking a small step back... my car barely rolled when I first got it in late August 2019, and it continued to roll for a few trips as we moved it around to allow for my brother's access to his toys.

But for the last several trips, my car has been living outside on a trailer – mostly under a cover – but not always. Ancient tires went even flatter and harder, and devolved into self-defeating wheel chocks.

It was ugly. The car did not roll.

So, the new plan: service the wheels, slap on new tires, and hopefully assess the brakes (I confess I hadn't even really looked at that stuff closely), and get this thing rolling again.

By the way, I went back and looked at my travel history. Since we bought the car in August 2019, I've flown up to the car for 7 weekends - and one of those early on I hardly worked on it - did some family stuff and spent a day visiting Mike Young's Roadster Ranch (replacement fender, 5-speed tranny).

All in, over the past 18 months, I reckon I've spent a whopping 12 or 13 days actually working on the car on location. And much of that time was spent unpacking, family time, setting up, breaking down, cleaning up, and storing for the next trip.

I just haven't had a whole lot of time to do much more than just dismantle the thing.

During that time, when I'm at home, I've spent some time clicking away at the glowing box, looking for cool wheels. The coolest ones I found were on Craigslist in Canada.

I absolutely love these wheels! (If anyone has some of these, my birthday is coming up)

But the seller didn't have PayPal, so he wanted me to send him a check, and once the check cleared, he'd ship the wheels.

Hmmm.

So I replied and asked him to send the wheels down, and once I get them, I'll send him a check.

Never heard back.

So the car remained not-rolling.

But, in time, I actually got the hubcaps looking pretty darn respectable, and decided to go with stock wheels for the time being. Clean 'em up, buy some tires, and the car will roll, I can worry about cool wheels later.

I got to my car on Thursday afternoon, drove straight to a paint supply store to get some POR-15 in case I had time to do the second coat. (Didn't happen.)

So I went to work getting the wheels off. All bolts came off easily, but since the car was half on a trailer and wouldn't roll, and I was by myself, I had to do some backwoods engineering. Stumps for jack stands in back, and since I couldn't get the jack under the front because of the trailer, I actually had to put jack stands under the slightly raised front, then jack the front of the trailer to make it do a wheelie thus lowering the trailer out from under the bottom of the tires. Voila! Wheels were off!

Took the wheels to Big O to remove the tires, then straight to my brother's shop to start sandblasting. This was my first ever sandblasting experience, and now I want to sandblast everything. No more having to shampoo the dogs and getting everything wet!

I ended up getting one wheel mostly done on Thursday.

Ate elk burgers that night. Amazing.

Friday, I spent the entire day manhandling a 20 lb wire wheel grinder thing. Brutal.

I had Popeye forearms for a day, and I finished sandblasting the last wheel just at closing time! Woohoo.

Curiously, three of the wheels are dated 3-67, and one is dated 1-68 (which is after the car was initially sold). I don't know what the spare is dated.

Supper was Venison Hirschgulasch Stew. Amazing.

Saturday was a lazy-ish morning. I dropped the wheels off at Big O to mount the tires on the prepped wheels, then ran some errands with my nephew, and bought some wheel paint, they only had one color of silver, so I got what I got. Unfortunately, another bummer of this short trip is that I just didn't have the luxury of time to paint the wheels first, let them dry, and then install the tires. I had to install the tires, then paint the wheels with the tires on. My nephew taught me the playing card technique and it worked great. It was a drizzly day so we huffed paint in one of the garages. Kids, please don't huff paint.

At some point in the fog of paint fumes and breaks in drizzle, I think I started to remove the front brake calipers, and I was very happy with the dirty but solid condition – or may have been the fumes.

So, I'm going to restore the calipers, the lines, and I got some new piston assemblies from Mike Y. Thanks Mike!

We let the paint dry that night, took an aspirin for the huffing headache, and ate Barbecued Jalapeños stuffed with dove breast, cream cheese, wrapped in bacon. Amazing.

I didn't have much time Sunday morning, but finished removing the front brakes, did some rust mitigation, pulled the trailer away from the car, and put on the front wheels. Easy peasy.

But the rear wheels still wouldn't roll – the drum brakes had locked up. I don't know what I would have done if it not for another awesome brother moment. He knew that the rear drums had an adjustment thingy, and that was likely the problem. We needed to loosen that up - but - that square adjustment bolt was frozen, and since it's kind of hard to reach, he was worried because those round off very easily. And since his "perfect tool for that" was at his shop, he improvised. He took a 1/4 inch socket extension and used the female end of that to fit over the square adjustment bolt, and a crescent wrench to turn it.

I don't think I would have thought of that, and likely would have rounded that bolt off. That worked like a charm, and the car rolls!

So, I put the rear wheels back on, and rolled it onto the trailer. My brother took it to his shop where one of his guys can hopefully start working on some of the patch panels. The bodywork is now my biggest and most immediate concern.

Next up – Brake Calipers?
Last edited by iloveredmeat on Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

I just read the whole thing
Love what you’re doing Peter
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Pjackb wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:10 pm I just read the whole thing
Love what you’re doing Peter
Thanks Jacques. High praise coming from you.

It seems like we’re on pretty similar paths, and have similar standards...

I reckon you’ll pull away pretty quickly in your beautiful looking garage, so I’m grateful that you’re thoroughly sharing your progress in your thread...

That way I can follow in your footsteps and learn the correct way to do this!

Your work is inspiring for sure.

Thanks again!
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

iloveredmeat wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:41 pm
Good morning Peter you’re right these are absolutely gorgeous wheels but if this was the picture used by the seller you did the right thing not buying them for a couple reasons

the first and main reason is these are 4 spokes Revolution wheels which where available in 13” only from what I could find when I researched them in the past the ones in this specific picture are 4x100, 13x7 fronts and 13x8 rears so no buenos for a Roadster

https://revolutionwheels.com/product-ca ... sic-rally/

Number 2 I reverse searched the picture and it’s from and old for sale post in the UK from 2015 so very suspicious if he’s saying they’re the wheels

Original sales ad

https://wheel-temple.com/2015/03/16/rar ... x13-4x100/

Oh and last FYI, PayPal is ubiquitous in Canada same as the US and even without an account receiving payment from PayPal is extremely easy and quick
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hi Jacques... thank you for your efforts!... but I'm afraid I may have led you astray.

The photo I posted is not from the seller, that's one I found just to get a better look at them...

The Craigslist Ad had this photo:

The seller was from your neck of the woods, said they were 14x6's, and so I pm'd you with some additional information.

Admittedly a long shot, but maybe you know him?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. Yet another example of this great community.
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hi Everyone.

My car is currently at my brother's shop and two things are happening:

1. Body work and patch panels. This is exciting.

2. Custom suspension is being designed and built (that's my brother's gig). This is beyond exceptionally exciting.

So... he has asked me to source these parts (at a minimum), so he can use them as a template, and custom build the rest of the suspension, all the while keeping the car rolling.

I don't know exactly what he has planned, but the goal is to keep my car mobile, so he can move it in- and out-of-the-way to work on better paying customers as needed. :D

If anyone has these parts lying around that they would consider loaning or selling, please let me know.

Thank you very much,
Peter

Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
rahjr60
Roadster Fanatic

Post by rahjr60 »

Peter - All progress is good progress! I may have some of the parts you are looking for, I'll take a look this weekend. Hopefully someone on your side of the country will chime in with what you need. I'm in NC, so probably wouldn't get to you very quickly. Another tip on the rear brake adjuster that I probably read somewhere on this forum, is to use a 1/4" drive 6 point socket where you have the extension and then use the corresponding size Allen wrench to turn the socket. It is a little more compact than the extension and adjustable wrench set up, but whatever works!
Al

67.5 SPL F/Prod Race Car #23
67.5 SRL(00246) F/Prod Race car #00
69 SRL Driver
69 SRL Project
65 Ford Falcon Sedan Delivery Deluxe Project
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

rahjr60 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:49 am Peter - All progress is good progress! I may have some of the parts you are looking for, I'll take a look this weekend. Hopefully someone on your side of the country will chime in with what you need. I'm in NC, so probably wouldn't get to you very quickly. Another tip on the rear brake adjuster that I probably read somewhere on this forum, is to use a 1/4" drive 6 point socket where you have the extension and then use the corresponding size Allen wrench to turn the socket. It is a little more compact than the extension and adjustable wrench set up, but whatever works!
Hi Al, thank you!

And that's a great brake adjuster tip, my brother will like to hear that.

Thanks again,
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hi Again,

I'm afraid I wasn't super clear on which specific parts I need... because I don't know what to call them. :oops:

So... here are some new images that should help clarify.

Thanks!
Peter

Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by rwmann »

Spring seats, front and rear.
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

rwmann wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:01 am Spring seats, front and rear.
Thank you!
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hi All: Update.

A huge Thank You to @andyb, he has an extra 'front spring seat' and is actually about 15 minutes from my car, and is kind enough to actually drop the part off.

@andyb, I owe you a couple of beers or sodas or lunch or all, and look forward to meeting in person sometime.

So, that means I now only need the 'rear spring seat assembly'.

These things:

Thank you all for considering, I really appreciate this community's willingness to help a guy out. I hope for the opportunity to return the favors.
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70