Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Beams 3S-GE motor...any thoughts?

Post by Mattk »

Hi there John
I've been getting a lot of positve feed back on this motor, and I think its the winner for the engine swap (unless I can find a SR20DET S15 w/6speed for less than $1000....anyone :wink: )

As for the wiring I think it will be fun to do (as twisted a that sounds.) I've been looking at the Painless Wiring Kits and they're located here in the area, so I might go that way.....and....they have a push button keyless ignition kit 8) . That would be wicked cool!
For support I've got a buddy in a Toyota club that knows about these types of swaps as well...at least I hope he does :| He doesn't really know he's helping yet :P !
-----
As for the car I finally got some quality time with her.
Gutted the interior but still have the dash to go. I spent $600 on the car and she has already paid me back $2.17 :smt003
Got her up on jack stands and will try to get tranny out in coming weeks ( no block in the car just the tranny)

It has begun....

Matthew
MattK
Rhänne
Roadster Nut

Post by Rhänne »

This would be a nice engine for the roadster!
The 3S-GE Blacktop Beams is only installed in the jdm-only toyota altezza rs200.
Guess who drives one :D

You have to know that only engines with MT combined have the bigger titanium valves which produces 210hp and a rev Limit to nearly 8k.
Ultimate 2l NA engine ... except the s2000 engine. :smt002

For the roadster i would install ITBs *drool*

You re welcome for engine questions :smt002

René
1968 Datsun Roadster - 13B-turbo
under construction !!!
Progress [---------X--------------------------------]
krismon
Roadster Fanatic

Post by krismon »

I'm very happy with the KA I put in my roadster. I initially planned on a turbo, but decided to go into the time & money sink of my life by putting webers on it.

Here's my case for the KA:
1. it's cheap and available
2. parts are VERY easy to get
3. Easy to fit (modify the oil pan)
4. various levels of boost if desired, from a cheap ebay turbo kit ($700?) to a nice quality setup ($$$$) - to a supercharger
5. so much torque!
6. lots of people here have done it.

against the KA:
1. doesn't rev high (unless you get this guy! http://www.ebay.com/itm/181486501666 NA!!)
2. gulps gas (it's probably my webers)

What I want to see in the roadster are the new ford ecoboosts 1.6L/180HP, 2.0L/252HP(ford racing crate engine) or the one that's in the next Mustang (2.3L 310HP) we know that Zetecs have been done, these are the next generation..

Whatever you do, I can't wait to see the results!

Kris.
1969 SPL311 twin DCOE KA24DE (Sunset)
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

krismon wrote:I'm very happy with the KA

What I want to see in the roadster are the new ford ecoboosts 1.6L/180HP, 2.0L/252HP(ford racing crate engine) or the one that's in the next Mustang (2.3L 310HP) we know that Zetecs have been done, these are the next generation..

Whatever you do, I can't wait to see the results!

Kris.
I looked into the 2.0L ecoboost just quickly....More fun to do a ford racing Midget motor
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Well its been awhile since my last post. I've been doin a lot of staring, measuring and thinking about the roadster. I've also gone out and measured a Beams to see how it would fit, and here's the result.
The Beams is almost the same size as a SR20 so it will fit roughly the same way, except that the Beams has a massive 2 part sump that hangs so low that it would be like having truck nuts that dragged on the ground :? and this is where the problem lies. In order to get it to fit I would like to pull 4" out of the height of the sump (2 1/2" min). I'm thinking of doing a rear sump conversion and maybe even making that a sallow pan. Then it would fit perfectly...ish!
I'm still poking around on other forums picking the melons of the guys who know about these things.

I will post more when I figure it all out. Otherwise SR20DET here I come. :|

Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

So heres an update, I will not be doing the BEAMS just yet. :( I cant seem to get it to fit, i need to take 4" off the height of the engine (mostly in the sump) and i dont yet have the skill or the funds to do the type of modding it would take to get it in there. Which is redoing the oil pan and oil system. And dry sumps, which would solve all the issues are just waaaay to costly.

So I have found a great deal on a KA :D that is going to be the power plant in the little beasty. I really liked seeing Kens KA with a supercharger 8) at solvang and might go that route.....or turbo in the future. This is all contrary to what I wanted to do initially but I'm tired of not moving forward. Doing the KA will save so much time and money it just makes sense!

I still want to do a BEAMS cause its just a cool motor. I guess I can always do it on the next roadster!! :smt003

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Update
I've stripped everything out of and off the little beastie. I was able to scrape the sound deadening of the floor boards with realitive ease. I've read what a nightmare it is supposed to be but I used cold...ish weather (40-50 degrees...freezing in texas) and a 3/4" wood chisel. It only took two football games.
image.jpg
As you can see I'm making door braces and I'm getting ready to build the rack for the body so I can see if the frame is bent, as I suspect it is. If it is...I'll be gettin a new frame. No biggie I've got an awsome connection for a new frame if needed....thanks Kieth!! But we'll see.

That's it

Cheers

Matthew

Ps how do I change the tittle of a thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

edited LOL

Post by fj20spl311 »

charlee0620 wrote:
how do I change the tittle of a thread.
go to the first post and if you started the thread, you can edit.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Mattk

Re: Going KA... No BEAMS....yet!!

Post by Mattk »

Thanks Phil!!
That was way to easy!
MattK
Sudo
Roadster Newby

Post by Sudo »

Hello Matthew-
Subscribed. Lots o' pics please. (or as Ratsun calls 'em OICs -- Oh Eye See)

Can I ask that you not use web shots? I know Alvin has linked to a photo album of a KA build in other KA threads, but I cannot access them.

New guy here, no intro yet. Lurking, except to ask this. Thanks!
Steve

1966 Datsun SP311 WIP - KA24DE/5spd
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Welcome to the forum Steve. The people here really are a wealth of knowledge and are happy to help. As for the web shots I'm not really sure what you are referring to :?:

Hey Alvin if you see this could you post those KA buil picts you have. It looks like the link or path has change. :D thanks

So here's an update.
I finally got to use my welder for the first time. Here are some shots of my very first welds ever!! 8)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
So as you can see I've got the door supports in and the wood is cut for the body rack. I'm hoping to have it up off the frame this weekend.

Thats it :D

Cheers
Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

]]More progress! :D
I have lifted the body off the frame and got it on the rack.
I need to put casters on the rack but I got a bit anxious and want to look at the frame.
I'm going out today to measure it to see. Thanks to Nissanman for the hi-res drawing of the 310 frame.
I also found some interesting blocks on the rearend. They will be coming off!
MattK
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Any pics of the bent parts?
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Sooooo...
Measured up the frame and it has a twist. It's out of whack (that being a technical term) just over a 1/2" at the front axel. And the front bumper mounts are more mangled than I had thought...oh well. :( So it looks like I'll be sweet talkin Keith for his spare.

Sorry David I forgot in all my anguish. I'll get some up in the next couple of days.

Cheers

Matthew
MattK
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Unfortunately all Webshots is gone forever.
Here are pics from Dan's '66 KA24DE swap, he's "datsun65" on the forum and may have more detailed stuff.
Do you have the KA motor/tranny yet?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread