ACOTE's 68 2000

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ACote
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: ACOTE's 68 2000

Post by ACote »

Gregs672000 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:28 pm Slow your roll a bit ACote! I thought you were gonna cut and buff the paint after the clear went on a bit hazy? 1) I would avoid putting any items (trim, lights etc) on the car until you are completely done cutting and buffing. Not only will you get compound etc all over everything, you won't be able to get nice clean and complete passes with the buffer pads if you're trying to avoid contact with trim; 2) make sure you talk to the paint supplier or manufacturer about WHEN of cut and buff that particular paint. In the old days you would wait for the paint to harden and off gas etc, like a week or 2 before you would cut it... that's what I did on my last paint job as I and done on all the others. But then, I struggled to get the sanding scratches out of the (black) paint to the point that I seriously thought I might have to respray the whole car (through perseverance I found a compound that would work with a lot of extra work, like half a day to do a door). Turns out this newer paint hit hard much faster, and was to but cut and buffed 24-48 hrs later, definitely not 1 to 2 weeks. You have done a great job and put in lots of work... check on this step to make sure you're not shorting yourself or causing problems that are hard to solve!
You're right. I did get ahead of some stuff. I'll remove some pieces and start wet sanding and buffing before it just becomes a mess. Not going to go too crazy but a little smoother and shinier on the bigger panels and I'll be satisfied. If anyone wants to try painting, get a really good clear gun! I can't say how much of a disappointment it didn't come out smoother after everything. But paint can be fixed, or redone especially since the body work is much better. (I'll be getting it repainted nicer it one day) but I'm still happy with how it came out. Can't skip steps even though I want to drive it now!
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

You can't learn if you don't try Alex, and now you have the pride of doing it yourself! My home paint job is perfect by no streach of the imagination, but it looks good and I am far prouder of it than I would be of a professional job that I would of spent thousands on.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

theunz wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:14 pm You can't learn if you don't try Alex, and now you have the pride of doing it yourself! My home paint job is perfect by no stretch of the imagination, but it looks good and I am far prouder of it than I would be of a professional job that I would of spent thousands on.
Exactly. I bought the car to get into learning about cars and classics, would Love to work in a shop one day. This has boosted my knowledge so much. I will forever appreciate super straight and shiny cars lol.

Some good news, put some gas in the car and she started right up! Well, as fast as a fully drained car with a mechanical pump can. Back in the garage ready to polish. Anyone have an electric fuel pump they recommend? I know to cut the line as close to the tank as possible. Would like to buy the pump soon so I can put it in the project list.
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Picked up the soft top from Superior auto upholstery in Concord. Went the cheap route and just had new windows sewn in. since the canvas still looks new. They even got the zipper working! Can't wait to try it out.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Alex, the top looks great!

ACote, you will be blown away by how nice you will be able to get your paint to look, so don't short change yourself on this step. How much clear did you put on It? That will determine some how aggressive you can be, but believe me, you can take a pebbled MESS (not saying your car is a mess my friend!) and turn it into a beautiful $4000 looking paint job with time and effort (and enough paint). The single stage black car I did was awful after the owner couldn't wait another day and shot it himself... it looked like black spackle, like a dashboard texture. Wet sanding and buffing turned it into a black mirror and the car is still one of my favorites (owner sold it at auction so I don't know where it is now). There are several here on the list who can suggest what compounds, buffing wheels, buffer (variable speed, cheap to rent or can buy), sand paper grades, blocks and techniques you can use. Once you start, you won't be able to stop cause it will look so much better. Trust me, two weeks longer here will be 500 weeks of happiness later.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Polishing is going well.
Here's the worst of the "chunks" that hardened in the gun. (last coat)
They smoothed out nicely, just being very careful
The result after wet sanding the whole door and polishing compound. Much smoother and more reflection.
Now that I know how much I need to sand, it needs a little more in spots, but the car is turning out nice!
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Are you using a squeegee or rubber pad to remove the water? It will dry quickly so you can see the pitting quicker.
Looks like somebody broke a fluorscent light bulb lol, got lucky.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

pebbles wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 pm Are you using a squeegee or rubber pad to remove the water? It will dry quickly so you can see the pitting quicker.
Looks like somebody broke a fluorscent light bulb lol, got lucky.
It did! lol. Just using a microfiber cloth and compressed air. A squeegee sounds smart
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

2"x3" glazing putty squeegee.
FAC24926-0B53-4DB6-92B5-06667B9D4015.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

After polishing the doors I spent half the day fiddling with new 510 4 door locks to try and make them work. Plan is to use them on both doors and trunk. I was missing all the hardware for the door locks so figured I'd give these a try (cheap) and it will be nice having one key for the outside.
Well these are not for the faint of heart! Took a lot of cutting of the cylinder to match the doors, these have an extra locating bump. I didn't want to modify the doors.
Made some linkages out of some spare rod I had, another pain to get the lengths right and secure in the plastic clips. But they work/look nice. I learned the drivers door need some shorter screws on the latch as they were hitting the lock rod. Trunk lock will be easy tomorrow in comparison. I'll install the emergency wire also.
Bonus before and after on the worst orange peel on the fender:
Before
After
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

He hath seen the light! Looks WAY better, eh?! I DIG the color, and it looks like it will work well with the wheels you have, and dark rubber. Have fun, watch your edges, take your time. One thing I liked to do was to use something about a foot long with sharp edges, like a paint stir stick, and use that to judge the clarity of the reflection across sections of panels. That helped me find areas that needed more attention with sanding or compound.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Getting closer..
Installed the new reverse switch but still a mystery what happened to the wires to the switch. Routed a new wire from the lamp all the way around with the stock wiring, over the transmission in the engine bay and hooked it all up with a new bulb.
A lot of work but it paid off.
Trunk lock was super simple, just needed a rod welded to the lever.
Hardware store trip! Door locks work now with the proper bolt
Hood trunk and doors lined up and latch now. The trunk is adjusted all the way down but has always sat a bit high, I'll tackle that later.
Polished the whole car except for the hood and trunk.
Pic of the new door handles and locks.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Good progress and looking great!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Gregs672000 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:05 pm Good progress and looking great!
Got a little time off from work and I'm making it count! Now I just need a hand taking the new rear end out of my wife's car! :lol:
Trying to get a plan going, next is bump stops for the doors and hood, then carpets, not the vinyl siding until I repair and install the side trim.
Then windows and weather stripping and on and on. Should be driving it to get gas soon!
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Carpet is in place! had to and a few connectors to the radio wiring but went pretty smooth. I'll figure out the snaps tomorrow. Also Flipped the radio since I installed it upside down lol
Also I'll be going to the hardware store tomorrow, Been slowly adding new hardware. :Tosser: Not a fan of the skittles look.