Steering box rebuild

Put part numbers and suppliers here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Steering box rebuild

Post by Gregs672000 »

OK, I just read your intro... so it looks like the motivation is there... give a bit more history if you can. We can help!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Kinnaird
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Kinnaird »

Thank you Greg, I honestly don't have a lot of answers to the history of the vehicle as I just recently bought it - the mileage on the odometer said only 48k but I already went into it highly doubting that accuracy. I will say that I would hope nothing else is wrong with the head or block and it is just the head gasket, if it's any more than the head gasket, I'm not sure what I'ma do. I plan on keeping this car forever - eventually doing an engine swap in the future as I learn more but I'd prefer to just get her running for now and I might not be able to put a lot ofoney into it currently as I also have a baby on the way, I never plan on getting rid of this car. The mechanic who checked out the engine said that the frame and chassis were in very good condition so I'm hoping that is actually true when I get under there on Sunday. I will most likely do what I have to do to get her running that's for sure, as long as I can get it running safely. Time is of no issue, I'm not like putting myself on a crunch here as I know from working on my last car, simple couple hour long jobs can turn into a couple week long jobs. I'm in here for the long haul as once I even found out about the Datsun roadsters and my other car a Suzuki cappuccino, I want fun and what I want. So I will definitely be asking for a lot of help from this forum, most likely even asking some very newbie questions, but I will appreciate all of the knowledge that is provided because I can only ever learn and there's no harm in growing my knowledge, especially if it's on a car I'm plan on having forever, even if I am way out of my depth and my aspirations and ideas are way out there haha.
1968 Datsun 1600
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

:D :D :D
I'll write soon but it's getting late... I'm in! I've always been on a budget and a lot of my stuff is "shade tree mechanic" but it works. Many members are or have been in your shoes. The Datsun is a great car to learn mechanics on! Mine is the third car I owned, and I learned mechanics on my '73 Datsun 620 pick up (second car I owned), motivated by the '72 Toyota Hilux pick up that I had been completely ripped off on by buying (my first car... engine full of Power Punch super thick oil additive and a worn out front suspension. Dangerous to drive, and it blew blue smoke clouds after the first oil change). But... each car had its part or role to play in influencing my desire to do this stuff! Onward!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Kinnaird
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Kinnaird »

Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:25 am :D :D :D
I'll write soon but it's getting late... I'm in! I've always been on a budget and a lot of my stuff is "shade tree mechanic" but it works. Many members are or have been in your shoes. The Datsun is a great car to learn mechanics on! Mine is the third car I owned, and I learned mechanics on my '73 Datsun 620 pick up (second car I owned), motivated by the '72 Toyota Hilux pick up that I had been completely ripped off on by buying (my first car... engine full of Power Punch super thick oil additive and a worn out front suspension. Dangerous to drive, and it blew blue smoke clouds after the first oil change). But... each car had its part or role to play in influencing my desire to do this stuff! Onward!
:smt006
Thank you for the encouraging words! I can't wait to learn more and get it running again hopefully!
1968 Datsun 1600