New Roadster Owner!

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

vorpal
Roadster Fanatic

Re: New Roadster Owner!

Post by vorpal »

congrats! I long distance run my '69 Solex every year... sometimes I'm done at the end of the day and the roadster is like a puppy... let's go.. let's GO!

However I would strongly recommend at least a full fluid change before driving it back to New York. I do it to any used car I buy, at least I know what I'm starting with. Oil, coolant, transmission and diff fluid.

Good luck on the road trip home!
Rob
1969 Datsun 2000 Solex # 12921
1967.5 Datsun 1600 # 14262
1990 300ZX Twin Turbo
another 1990 300ZX Turbo
1993 300ZX Convertible
new garage DONE Oct 2019!!!
Edmonton, Canada
Erol
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Erol »

Thank you for all the incredible feedback and advice!

Still haven’t been able to locate a shop so thinking I might call a few reputable parts companies and ask if there are any shops in Boise they ship to regularly. Anyone have any suggestions re a few good part distributors I might call?

Thanks again! Can already see one of the best outcomes of buying the car will be this amazing community!
Erol
Site Supporter

Post by Erol »

Sorry, meant to include a few I found:

https://www.datsunparts.com/
https://www.datsun-roadster-parts.com/
http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/datsun- ... rlady.html
https://jdm-car-parts.com/collections/d ... intage-jdm
https://risingsunracing.com/

Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with any of the above? Or others I might have better luck with?

Thanks
Erol
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Those are all or most of the vendors listed on the Vendor page on the site, and are regularly used as parts sources for owners worldwide.
I believe the user dynaguy, Pat, is in the Idaho area and he may have some local recommendations for you. PM him for info.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

Linda wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:26 am Those are all or most of the vendors listed on the Vendor page on the site, and are regularly used as parts sources for owners worldwide.
I believe the user dynaguy, Pat, is in the Idaho area and he may have some local recommendations for you. PM him for info.
Linda
I'm willing to help....but am located in eastern Washington state/Northern Idaho border about 2 hrs south of Spokane, WA and 6 hrs north of the Boise, Id area. I believe that there are more local Roadster owners down south. Pat
dads311
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by dads311 »

I am located in Emmett just over the hill from Boise. I would be willing to go look at it and check on things. On my 67.5 I had "import engine supply" do the machine work on my engine. They seemed to know these engines pretty well. Not sure on the rest of the mechanics who to call. I did my own. If I can help let me know.
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
dads311

Post by dads311 »

I just looked at the ad for the car and see it is in Sweet, Idaho. That is even closer than Boise.

Mike
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
Erol
Site Supporter

Post by Erol »

dads311 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:41 pm I just looked at the ad for the car and see it is in Sweet, Idaho. That is even closer than Boise.

Mike
Yes! It’s in Sweet. So incredibly kind of you to offer to check it out.

If you have time and it’s not too much trouble, would be amazing to have your assessment of the car as I’m a little anxious after bidding without seeing it in person :shock:

The seller has been really helpful and responsive so far. If you have time to pop over, I can call him to see when works or even put you in touch directly if that’s easier.

Of course, I insist on buying you lunch or dinner when I come out there to thank you for your generosity!

Will take a look at import engine supply. The seller kindly offered to drive it to whatever shop I find in Boise so will see if they could receive it at some point this month.

On a related note, have you heard of this shop?

https://www.zcardoctor.com/
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

In my opinion, if it runs, shifts, and starts and stops, it will make it home. Once you fly in, buy a small tool set at Harbor Freight, a fire extinguisher, make sure the spare tire is good, and make sure your AAA card is updated to Premium. Drive it 50 miles to a quicklube that will let you watch while they change the oil, trans, and diff fluids, and lube the suspension..

Otherwise, have fun, take your time, and enjoy seeing the country. Driving backroads and seeing the small towns.. Almost the entire country has cell service at this point.
dads311

Post by dads311 »

Erol, I have heard of the zcar doctor. I have not dealt with them directly but have heard good things about them. They might be a better choice just to be able to check the entire car over. I would contact them just to see what their timeline is.
I can go look at your car maybe on Thursday or Friday if that works for you and the previous owner. It is supposed to be nearly 70 degrees by then. If that works for you get me his contact info and let him know I will be contacting him.

Mike
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
Erol
Site Supporter

Post by Erol »

Thanks so much Mike. Really appreciate it. He said either day is fine. Will DM you his info.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

A Datsun Roadster is a very reliable car. I think what might trip you up would come from a lack of maintenence, like rust in the fuel tank, worn out items like rotted radiator hoses or lines, plugged radiator, hydraulic systems, worn ignition parts like points or condenser. With some suggestions from 311s, I think you could take it to any good shop and have them go over the car, make sure it's tuned up, valves adjusted, fluids changed, chassie greased, systems checked etc. These are relatively simple cars, and any experienced tech, especially those who are older or work on 60-70 era cars will have no problem, with 311s being available to provide expertise on specific items, specs or what to watch for. Mechanically, baring worn out things like bearings etc, the only thing I'd be worried about happening suddenly is an undiagnosed evil L waiting to break off...
Have an epic trip!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

Yes...good luck! I doubt you'd be diverting through Buffalo on your way home, but if you do...I'm around!
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
Erol
Site Supporter

Post by Erol »

Hi All

Long delay here due to the crazy circumstances we all find ourselves in! Thanks to everyone who welcomed me and offered advice on the car. Hope you all are well and staying safe.

The seller transported to a local Z Car tech in Boise but he hasn't had time to look things over so my new plan is to have the vehicle transported here to Connecticut. Wondering if anyone knows of a good tech in CT? I'm in Northeast CT near the MA/RI border so someone there would work as well.

As for the vehicle, Mike (@dads311) was incredibly generous and offered to go check the car out. He kindly sent me the following feedback and pictures https://imgur.com/a/3dFVU9u

"I just got back from his place. You got a real nice car. It needs some attention but is a lot nicer than what I started with. I found the spare tire is flat, no biggie. There is a toneau cover as well as the soft top and the boot for the soft top. There is a small repair in the top where it got torn. Not sure if it's water proof but black duct tape would work temporarily.
The speedometer was never recalibrated to the new differential, I would get a speedometer app for my phone. The tach is not working, he said it started bouncing a lot so he took the cable off. He does have another tach cable to go with the car, not sure if that is the problem but can be worked on as time goes on. The only thing he has done suspension wise is put Bilstein shocks on it. The tires are old but not dry rotted or weather checked, the car has always been garaged.
The distributor is still stock but all of the smog has been disconnected and removed. You may want to get the distributor recurved or get a new EI distributor. Read on the forum about recurving. The car definitely needs a tune up, valves adjusted and the carbs adjusted or maybe even gone through.The engine sounded good to me, no rattles or strange noise.
I could not get the wipers to work, hopefully just a blown fuse. The radio doesn't work either but a bluetooth speaker from walmart and music on your phone should get you fine. He said the last time he tried to use the heater the cable came off the temperature control valve so he had to reach it and move it by hand but the blower does work.
The brakes were redone about 5 years ago but should be inspected and bled. The fluid is very dark in the brake and clutch master cylinders. Read on the forum about flushing the brake system.
All of the chrome looks great except for some dings in the side trim and the rear bumper, but it is all shiny. The body cancer is as described and in all the places it normally shows up. I didn't however see any on the floors or trunk, but I didn't unload all the stuff from the trunk or floors.
There are some cracks in the dash and some of the vinyl on the center console is shot but you are looking at a 50 year old car so that is expected. Over all you have a very presentable driver car and while my list of items is fairly long it is mostly just a lack of attention over the years. He hardly ever drove it for the last ten years or so."

Looking to get some parts ordered soon to save time and wondering if anyone can help with feedback on the following:

1. Center console. I see them for sale on justdashes.com and here https://www.datsunparts.com/1079. Does anyone have any experience with these?
2. Dash. Same as above re justdashes and datsunparts. Anyone have experience with these?
3. EI Distributor. Found on http://eastcoastroadster.com/ thanks to other posts on this forum. I imagine this is my best bet but would appreciate any other suggestions (perhaps the recurving Mike suggested).
3. Differential. The Boise tech thought that the 4.11:1 LSD would be less than ideal for highway driving -- not sure how much highway driving I'll actually do with the car, but wanted to see if folks agreed. The sale included the removed factory 3.70:1 open differential so could always go to that if necessary but part of the reason I was interested in the car was the differential that I understand can be hard to find and is more desirable.

If it helps, here's the link to the original listing with more pictures, etc https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969- ... adster-22/

Thanks in advance for any help and stay safe everyone!

Erol
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Congrats on getting a nice Roadster.
I have an EI distributor from the original vendor of this product and it works very well. Tom the current owner continues with the same excellent product and provides good instructions and tech support.
I would try to get a Roadster person to assess your car if possible. The status of big ticket items would be good to know, chains etc.
Get to know this site really well , it has lots of great info.
Hope you have a lot of fun and Watkins Glen is the biggest east coast event for Roadsters, and there is info on past shows here on site.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.