Cool!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Steering Linkage

Post by aspitfire »

Received them today and they are quality pieces to say the least! I will try and install them this weekend once it warms up here...i hope. Its too cold out in the garage right now (-15) and i am out of kerosene.
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

Alright, i couldn't wait to install these so i braved the arctic cold and put them on tonight. I didnt have time to tighten everything down or adjust the links, but this should give you a good idea. Sorry for the less than stellar pictures. If there is something more you would like to see let me know!

These are going to be available from my guy for $250. The Zinc coated bars are made out of Swedge Steel Tubes, and the heims are QA1. These come standard with everything you need to install including washers, lock nuts and grade 8 bolts. Install and adjustment is made easy with one reverse threaded end. Simply screw the heims all the way in, install, twist the bar and both ends will adjust evenly for alignment. Email to place your order is Fastnigel@yahoo.com Feel free to contact him or me with any questions. If you are feeling uncomfortable since i am newer and you dont know him, i will list some references below.

My username can be found on the following sites as an active member that has buying/selling credability, both under the same user name:AspitFire
http://www.mnsubaru.com
http://www.nasioc.com

Nigel and his fabrication skills can be found here: TyConway
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2422908
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Are all the bolts that you show on the install the same taper as the original tie rod tapers?
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Solex68 »

I am curious to what the life expectancy would be for those ends. I have no idea, I am just thinking out loud. I know they use those in racing but I would think they get replaced often.

P.S. Even though I am curious about the life span.....I would get a set. They look very well made. Thanks for going through the effort and making spare parts for our cars. What else can you make? LOL.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

The bolts do not taper exactly the same way the tie rod does. The bolt thickness is a perfect fit for the smallest part of the spindle/arm.
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

aspitfire wrote:The bolts do not taper exactly the same way the tie rod does. The bolt thickness is a perfect fit for the smallest part of the spindle/arm.
Could have a cone bushing made pretty cheap if needed.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

Solex68 wrote:I am curious to what the life expectancy would be for those ends. I have no idea, I am just thinking out loud. I know they use those in racing but I would think they get replaced often.

P.S. Even though I am curious about the life span.....I would get a set. They look very well made. Thanks for going through the effort and making spare parts for our cars. What else can you make? LOL.
The heims that are used are made specifically for steering components, id say a good deal of life should be gotten out of these. I guess i don’t have a solid number or anything to give you.
Last edited by aspitfire on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

Solex68 wrote: What else can you make? LOL.
Let me know what else you want made, and i can let you know. I have access to a 3d printer, Laser engraver, and water image transfer system.
Copterpilot
Site Supporter

Post by Copterpilot »

Some helicopters use the same type of linkage on the rotor head. I would think they would hold up very well. I would be interested in a set in the future, but I have other priorities on my car right now! :roll:
White 1968 2000 Roadster
Gray 2003 VW Jetta TDI
Red 2005 Pontiac Vibe
2112 Toyota Highlander
Platinum White F150 Platinum Powerstroke
AS365 Dauphine
A109E Power
WOODY
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by WOODY »

aspitfire wrote:In my quest to find an affordable alternative to what i posted above, and what is available to us. I think i have found success. Here is a quick picture of what i had made, these will be available for half the cost of what is out there now (under $275). I will have them in my hands by the end of next week and full post more pictures.

Im in for a complete set! Thanks for the info
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

If we are talking about using a straight shank bolt in a tapered hole this is not a good idea, as you will have only a very small point of contact. The ensuing result would be quick wearing of the hole resulting in noticeable steering slop. If the new parts and the old parts they bolt to are both non tapered than no problem ( I hope this is the case ) as this seems to be a good solution to an expensive part. Mike
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

To address the comments about wear, a Heim boot can be added to any order, or picked up on your own. They are very common and help prevent excess wear due to dust/grime build up.

These are $9.99/3 of them, so two sets will cover all the Heim Joint = $20/plus shipping.
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

theunz wrote:If we are talking about using a straight shank bolt in a tapered hole this is not a good idea, as you will have only a very small point of contact. The ensuing result would be quick wearing of the hole resulting in noticeable steering slop. If the new parts and the old parts they bolt to are both non tapered than no problem ( I hope this is the case ) as this seems to be a good solution to an expensive part. Mike
Bringing this back up to date. I have had sleeves made to fit into the tapered hole. These will be an option when ordering from him. I will post pictures when I have the sleeves in hand and installed.
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

FYI, this set-up is very cool, but introduces an addition adjustment/measurement necessary in your steering geometry.

Your should check the Ackerman. Changing the ratio of the side rods to the center rod will change it.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB