Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Going KA... No BEAMS....yet!!

Post by Mattk »

I have really had much time lately. But I have made a teeny tiny bit of progress.
9D85A830-4F5C-46A5-A69F-8EB4BEB91A3C.jpeg
I welded up the upper mounts and tacked them into place.
1BBF1771-39BC-4A67-9F19-D7A76A88460A.jpeg
Then I made a couple of the links and mocked up the uppers and tacked them in. This is not final as I have questioned the angle of the motor. I’m going to see how much room I have to tilt the motor a bit to get it to 3 degrees. Then I will set up the rear end to match. But in the interim I can get the links made and tacked.
55A49C71-3EDA-4B32-83CA-44EC337BEA1E.jpeg
As you can see there is a clearance issue, Clarence😉. I’m already planning to remove and install a new shock mount cross bar. This is more so that I will have space for the coil over to be mounted in front of the rearend.

Cheers

Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Haven’t done much since October. We had a death in the family, so my attention has been else were. But I did get a couple of hours in and I got the other side tacked in. Now I just need to done the lowers. Should take long at the rate I’m going.....maybe 2 or 3 years🙄
C89F5B6A-3174-40F7-B701-34D2C088BE4D.jpeg

Things seem to be settling so I might get some time soon.

Cheers
Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Sorry to hear of the passing, never an easy time for sure. Projects like this can help, and they are always ready when you are. Well wishes to and yours.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

I’ve gotten some time in the garage which is great. Have the lower links almost tacked in.

I’ve also been working on the electrical schematic as I am rewiring my car from scratch. I’m really glad I decided to do it now. It’s been a lot of work but it has forced me to make decisions about features and products going into the roadster. I’ll post a picture of it soon. It needs some cleaning up. Thanks to Curtis for his schematics as they have been of great help to my design.

On another note I’ve got the asshole neighbor that has taken to complaining about me every time I’m working on my car. Couple of letters from the HOA a visit from a cop,who turned out to be a car guy, and the neighbor came and yelled at me in person....still don’t know his name. It’s rediculous, I’m out ther during “working hours” and not very often at that. Apparently they had issues with the previous owners as well....and the other neighbors to the west and east....oh and to the south. I just let him know he’s number one, guess which finger I use😂

Cheers

Matthew
MattK
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Matthew, as a teen I had similar issues with a neighbor over my drums. Both me and my dad (psychologist) are/were very reasonable people, and were willing and tried to work with him by putting up extensive sound proofing, testing sound decibels at the property line, and setting cut off times for sound, but despite those efforts he just couldn't keep from coming over and assaulting my father one afternoon in our driveway. A visit by the sheriff post assault quieted his crap with the threat of jail. My best suggestion is to remain calm, let his actions show that he's the one with the issue and is being unreasonable, and continue your work. HOAs can be tricky, but with other more reasonable people in the HOA who's job it is to "enforce" the rules, I would remain willing to try to accommodate while sticking to your rights. Good luck... ain't people great?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Well it’s built!!!
That’s right after four freaking years, mind you my youngest is now four which might of slowed me down, but the four link is build😳
08983FEC-D836-4D8A-BDA8-ECD49B7E1C9A.jpeg
323F1446-AF15-4093-B446-C725F32A5ADD.jpeg
F1575C9E-3467-46F5-B2A4-C9161DB0EECF.jpeg
[youtube][/youtube]

Yes there is no binding and good smooth movement. As you can see there is still a lot of work to be done. I have to remove the factory shock mount bar and buil a new one to allow movement. As you can see the factory bar interferes with the paper links where the green tape is. I still have to mount the shocks, which are on order. I still have to cut the body to make room for the link attachment points 🙄. I still have to do the finish welding as everything is just tacked in. But who freaking cares... ITS BUILT!!🤩🥳

More to come

Matthew
MattK
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

!!!! about time now 4 more years to go,lol
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Actually 3 years 1 month and 3 days!

Not that I’m counting 😉
MattK
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

Way to go Michael! Love the progress. What are you considering for shocks?

Cheers,
Wade
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Thanks Wade!
I’m in a bit a dilemma, I’m debating between QA1 proma star single adjustable or doulbe adjustable shocks with 400# springs to start with. Im leaning towards the single now and if I get frisky in the future I’ll get the double, but I’m still working on the math for the springs. Springs are realitively inexpensive so I’ll tune them better later. At this point the shocks are going to at 30 degrees but that’s not set in stone or welded metal as the case may be.

Going out to the garage now😁

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

Nice! Just curious, how did you land on 400# springs? At that mounting angle, your effective spring rate will be 350ish#. The shocks I am using have a stock spring rate of 600# and with the mechanical advantage of the pivot arms would put me at about 350ish# as well.

The rate on the stock and performance leaf springs are 158# 185# respectively, so our spring rates just seam like they would be way too stiff. Am I missing something? Can you walk me through your logic on your spring rate? It would help me greatly in knowing that I am in the ballpark on my rear spring rates and might not have to source some custom springs to soften it up.

Cheers,
Wade
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Weeeelllllllll😬
You’re looking at a well educated guess. 🤫 The car being pieces I can’t get accurate weight and weight distribution. I reached out to others for help. I got a big piece from “dieter ka24de” (you should look at his build if you haven’t already looked at it). He reminded me about adding the weight of the driver and what ever else has been, or is being, added.

I came to roughly 2700# which, assuming 50/50, 675# at each corner. Given the angles being used the numbers are making sense. At
cos(30)=0.866
675/0.866=779.45lbm
I would like a preload of 2” so 780lbm/2”=390lbf/in. and that’s not bad. So there pretty close considering how loosey goosey my numbers are I can see how they make sense. Given the inexpense of springs, at least in my situation, I can adjust later when the car is built.

So all that being said I ordered that double adjustable shocks and accidentally the 450# springs but again I can adjust to different spring later.

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Oooooooooo!!!
🤤
MattK
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

NICEEEEEEE!!!!! It feels so good to get new shiny stuff :D

I'm glad there was some method to your madness on the spring weight. I just saw the R1 shocks and said well those are cheap and look good.
Those double adjustables are freakin' sweet!

Cheers,
Wade
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

So here's a little something that Ive been working on for some time.
wiring1b.jpg
Its still a work in progress to say the least, but its progress. Im planning on using a m.Unit (look it up its easier than me explaining what it is...and im lazy right now :wink: ) It will simplify the wiring a great deal, remove a bunch of relays and make the system safer; basically me proof :smt005

Im really glad that I decided to make the diagram before I did any of the wiring. It has forced me to go out research not only how things need to be hooked up, but it also forced me to make decisions about what is going to be used. Such as gauges and lights and AC just for starters....oh yeah one of those too :lol: . So instead of just trying to figure it as I go now, instead, i have a road map and will be doing a hell of a lot less "oops...I forgot the_____"
I recommend this process to anyone thinking of taking on such a project within a project. Its not easy but it teaches you a ton about the car and systems and how they need to work together.

More to come

Matthew
MattK