New owner here!

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

sevenplaces

New owner here!

Post by sevenplaces »

Hello everyone,

I just picked up a 1969 1600 and am anxious to get started on it. The car has very little rust and is mostly complete. I bought it from a guy that owned it since 1980. I will be coming on here often to aid in my restoration project.

Also, I am the administrator and owner over at http://www.carsandcoffee.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is a quickly growing international car show. Check it out!

:smt006
LI Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Re: New owner here!

Post by LI Roadster »

good luck with the project.

post pictures and keep us posted
1969 2000 Roadster
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

Welcome Josh!
that calls for a Cars 'n Coffee Roadster Meet, coming soon.
Make sure to contact Chris Breyer, of SoCalROC newsletter "fame", to get your name on the mailing list. (Fairlady66 on this board)

with 3-4 weeks of advance notice (and a prediction of warmer temps on Saturday morning at oh-dark-thirty for the drive there) I am thinking we could get 6 roadsters to Irvine no problem.
Frampton x 2/Bauman/Miner/Me, then maybe Gabriel/Eastman and others, its a party!

Solvang Roadster meet is the last Saturday, April 25th, and there will be a Friday and a Saturday caravan, so make sure you come along.

welcome, lots of useful knowledge from across the globe. No question anxiety, we have all been in the same boat, and we are not (in general) to scolding on non-use of the search function.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
sevenplaces

Post by sevenplaces »

Thanks for the welcome! I would love to have a roadster meet up at C&C sometime. My car is way too rough to go soon, but eventually it will be up to par.
wgb1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by wgb1 »

Big howdys from Texas!
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

FergO2k wrote:Welcome Josh!
Definitely.
FergO2k wrote:lots of useful knowledge from across the globe. No question anxiety, we have all been in the same boat, and we are not (in general) to scolding on non-use of the search function.
Hey, speak for yourself! :mrgreen:
FergO2k wrote:that calls for a Cars 'n Coffee Roadster Meet, coming soon.
sevenplaces wrote:Thanks for the welcome! I would love to have a roadster meet up at C&C sometime. My car is way too rough to go soon, but eventually it will be up to par.
You're spoiled by all the quality rides down there. If it's running, drive it, and let the folks watch the transformation from before to after.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
sevenplaces

Post by sevenplaces »

FergO2k wrote:You're spoiled by all the quality rides down there. If it's running, drive it, and let the folks watch the transformation from before to after.
VERY true, however it needs some work to be drivable, most notably, the brakes need attention... :!:
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

sevenplaces wrote:
VERY true, however it needs some work to be drivable, most notably, the brakes need attention... :!:
Oh, don't be a sissy, it's only brakes :D :D :D just kidding. Tailgate Fergus, just bump him to slow down.

John from Connecticut arrived at a show in New York last year, maybe 100 miles from home in a 1500. Car hadn't been on the road in 25 years, only partially re-assembled, and running on 2 or 3 cylinders. He had the biggest grin on his face. and his car seemed to get all the attention

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Phred58
Vendor-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Phred58 »

Hello,
I'm a long time roadster owner (since '74 or so) but newer to this site and posting. Bought a 1600 from my sis, ended up selling it to my bro who still has it and who also lives right down your way. The 1600 didn't have enough power so I bought a 68 2000 in '75. Took me about 1 1/2 years to "correct" all the mistakes of the PO and the 2000 was only 7 years old at the time!

Like putting a cork in the PCV hose because all smog equipment is "bad" and a toggle switch for the reverse light because troubleshooting and replacing a defective reverse switch is way more difficult than just wiring in a new toggle switch under the dash. Like I'd remember to turn on and then turn off the switch each time I put the car in reverse!!!

Went through the engine after the dreaded upper timing chain break which "luckily" occurred at idle and only caused "moderate" damage rather than about 15 minutes earlier when I was cruising at 105 (and God only knows what would have happened then!)

Had Chico Datsun rebuild the transmission several times as the first time they did, their "mechanic" hammered the case back together when it wouldn't fit together properly but never asked himself the question why?

Anyway..........fixing these cars up is fun because you can actually do a lot of the work yourself which is not the case with most newer cars; haven't even popped the engine sound cover off my 07 Odyssey. I teach auto maintenance merit badge for Boy Scouts and I use the roadster because it's easy for the boys to see where everything is. They get the added bonus of hearing what an engine is suppose to sound like (with a slightly lumpy idle from the "B" cam). Most have never seen a roadster or for that fact know what a carburetor is either.

So, enjoy your roadster. The stories are part of the fun.
68 SRL311-05416
68 SRL311-03507 (currently undergoing restoration)
67.5 SPL311-12278 - big parts off to scrap, small stuff in buckets
www.datsun-roadster-parts.com
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Hi Sevenplaces! and welcome.

Cars and Coffee is a great show, and i can't get up there often enough, well done.

The roadster guys have stopped into the show upon occasion. When your car is driveable we will put together a good collection of roadsters.

Best,

Ron
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com