Aloha from Hawaii

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Nick66

Aloha from Hawaii

Post by Nick66 »

Hey, my name is Nick. I'm a United States Marine and I am stationed in Hawaii. You might know my car as the "Rice Rocket" a '66 1600, previously owned by my dad, Phil Hall (66Roadster). When he upgraded to the 67.5 I got the opportunity to buy the car that gave me the Datsun Fever so many years ago. Unfortunately when I came out here I could only take one car so I decided on the Z.

My other car is a '74 260z that I bought when I was 15 and put a Chevy 4.3L V6 in it. Here is the Super Awesome Page for it! It has been a hoot and has kept my bank account drained at all times. It has its fair share of power and so far its blown up a Diff, and a u-joint/yoke assembly, forcing me to do the upgrades that I was putting off.

A little while ago I stumbled upon a '68 2000 that had sat for a long time but has some really nice parts. Im gonna be cleaning up the parts and getting them ready to sell to support my Datsun addiction. If anyone needs anything in particular right now I can get started on it first.

Anywho, its nice to meet you guys,
Nick
Last edited by Nick66 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Re: Aloha from Hawaii

Post by spl310 »

Welcome Nick! Good to see you on board!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

Welcome Nick, as Sid said we are glad to have you as a member. It looks like you put quite a bit of work into the Z. Nice looking ride. How do you like the V6? Enjoy!!

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Nick66

Post by Nick66 »

Thanks guys!
I love the V6 so far. It is definitely unique, everyone has a V8 but so far I can only find about 3 including me that have done this. And you have to love the sound of an even-fire V6, a beefy exotic sound. Eventually I want to go twin turbo on it but that will be a while down the road. But for now, Im going to try and make a manifold to put triple down draft Webers on it :twisted:
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Hi Nick,
I guess "Rockets" are the family business.
Welcome!
Linda
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

Welcome!
Are you on the big island? i don't know what mcbh means.
If so, David Conrad is in Kailua-Kona with his '68 1600!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Nick66

Post by Nick66 »

MCBH is Marine Corps Base Hawaii, its on Oahu. Ive never been to the big island but I'll have to look him up if I do.
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

Nick66 wrote:Thanks guys!
I love the V6 so far. It is definitely unique, everyone has a V8 but so far I can only find about 3 including me that have done this. And you have to love the sound of an even-fire V6, a beefy exotic sound. Eventually I want to go twin turbo on it but that will be a while down the road. But for now, Im going to try and make a manifold to put triple down draft Webers on it :twisted:
Now or when you return to the Mainland? You've got plenty power to attract the unwanted attention of HPD.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Nick66

Post by Nick66 »

I need to do something soon because the carb I have on it now is way to big. There is a big power loss under heavy acceleration. As for the turbo, that will have to wait until I have a garage and not have to pay $28 a week to store the car at the shop on base, and about $15 a day to use the to work on it. It really adds up.
66Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 66Roadster »

A little story about Nick’s Z.

Nick was taking off to his MOS training at Goodfellow AFB in Texas and just ran out of time to tune his Z. So I agreed to take it to Huntsville Engine (they did the machine work on Nick’s motor) to have them tune on it. It never ran quite right sense building the motor. I took the Z down to them and about 3 days later I called them up to see if it was done. They said “you had better come get this thing before we all end up in jail!� – “it is worse then Farris Bouler’s night out down here�. I get down to HE and find a burn out mark (both tires) in their drive way 100’ long. “And that was only 2nd gear� they said with big grins on their faces.

Not bad considering HE is nationally known for building some of the best big block Chevy motors and run a successful drag racing team. They drive very fast cars everyday and this little Z really impressed them.

The Z has been a great lesson for Nick on the ‘pains’ of building a custom car. It takes a ton of work to sort one out and I am proud he has stuck to the tasks. I guess I should have known he would – He is one damn fine MARINE!! Semper Fi Nick!

Phil
Proud Marine Parent
SEROC
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

Nick66 wrote:... and about $15 a day to use the to work on it. It really adds up.
Wow! Welfare & Rec really went up since I retired in '92.

I miss having easy access to the Hobby Shop. We did the 914 motor at Hickam. Bangor wasn't bad before moving to Seattle. Now it's an hour to Smokey Pt, so only quickie jobs on commissary runs.

Pete
MM1/DV - USN Ret.