Quality header

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ianmiller07

Quality header

Post by ianmiller07 »

I"m doing a new and slightly radical porting job on my spare r-1600 head for my stroker. I figure with all the increased breathing on the intake side I should try to open up the exhaust a bit too. So before I send the head out to the shop to be pressure tested I want to match my exhaust ports to the header. Currently I"m running the stock manifold. This spring when I put it all together I'm going to add 2" exhaust with a high flow muffler. I want a header to match the performance of the rest of the motor. Are there any headers out there that were actually tuned? Most of the vendors don't even list the diameters on their website. If I can't find more information I'll have to design and fabricate my own...more work than I need right now.

Thanks for the advice
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Headers

Post by SLOroadster »

I have a set of TRI-MILL Jet Hot coated headers on my car. Classic Datsun Motorsports has them for about $250. They make a big difference in underhood temperature. My engine is noticeably cooler than a car with out the ceramic coating. By keeping the heat in the pipe, it causes the engine to work more efficently. Im running a 2 inch pipe all the way back. Make sure that who ever builds your exhaust system uses a mandrel to bend the tubing, and run it over the axel rather than under it (I have seen that done several times.) The 2 inch tubing will fit through the frame. It is tight but it does fit.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!