Tightening crank pulley bolt

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Tightening crank pulley bolt

Post by Guest »

My friends:

During these crucial "pre-starting my rebuilt engine" days, I have a long list of questions that will ensure success rather than "UPS!". My question now is a simple one though......how do I keep my engine from turning while I tighten the crank's pulley bolt? It specifies a quite high torque and I don't want to mess up the pulley trying some stupid way to inmobilize it while tightening.....any takers?

Thanks as always!

Jorge
Tycorcr1

Post by Tycorcr1 »

Jorge,

put your car in gear, 4th or 5th, and put something in front of the rear tires. You sould be able to tighten it to torque.

Keith.
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

I've always done it with the engine on a stand (out of the car) If you've got it out, you can put a small peice of 2x4 between the block and one of the crank counter weights to keep the crank from turning - just be sure the wood doesn't leave splinters in the block.

Post by Guest »

Keith, thank you for the suggestion...I will try it ASAP

Brian; Unfortunately, the engine is already mounted on the frame with tranny and differential attached as well, but I appreciate your feedback!

Take care!

Jorge
Marky510
Roadster Nut

Post by Marky510 »

Jorge,
I use a chain wrench for that job. To keep from gouging the pulley with the chain wrench though I use an old serpentine belt to wrap around the pulley groove. Works great for me. Good luck.
Mark

Post by Guest »

Thanks Mark! It seems very "doable" under the circumstances. I appreciate your help.
JORGE