78 Datsun EI in my Roadster

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Datrock
Roadsteraholic

78 Datsun EI in my Roadster

Post by Datrock »

After building a Electronic Distributor and letting it sit for 15+ years I finally installed it in a 1600 and it works. The setup came from a 78 Datsun 620 that had the remote EI control box, it is the unit before the Matchbox type that GB builds. Its been along time since I built it but I do remember that I modified a housing base plate for proper timing alignment and used the shaft from a Nissan distributor. I know that all of the upper parts are "L" parts for the EI distibutors from the late 70's thru early 80's models.
I started the installation a couple days ago. Once everything was installed I had no coil spark, quite the let down. Then hours of internet searching and even joining another forum. I found the testing info I needed. During the testing process is when I found out I had a bad crimped on connection coming from the green dizzy wire.
Now the car starts right up better than it has since I owned it and the idle seams to be very smooth. The engine has a cold startup issue of sputtering and stalling that is still there, I believe fresh gas and a carb cleaning/overhaul should solve that issue. Right now I'm just happy to see that my homemade dizzy worked... Bill
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Your Hand Crafted EI Dizzy

Post by S Allen »

Very cool Bill. Is this something others might be able to do with a little guidance from you?

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Steve, yes, the "Frankien-dizzy" is alive.... The bad part is I did not document the building of it, back in the early 90's. In the next couple days I am going to take some photos and install the control box in the passenger compartment near the speaker. I will try to get some #'s from the dizzy. Maybe some of the Z guys like you or the truck guys will recognize the parts.

When I built the Dizzy there was a large assortment of Datsun Distributors involved, sort of like a pick-a-part in a box, if it didn't fit try another one. I believe the electronic parts of the setup are the same as the early control box used in the 78 z car. The magnetic pickup is also the same, the removable reluctor or star shaped wheel has to have 4 points instead of 6. Plus a low resistance 12 volt EI coil will be needed.

Other than the control box, the needed parts are probably sitting in a box out in a few garages or shops collecting dust as just being a non-roadster items or parts that won't fit the matchbox style dizzy, like Gary Boone's.

On my roadster I installed the ballist resistor jumper wire, taped off the wire coming off the - side of coil, taped off the opposite end of wire at the dizzy. Then I hooked the control box to the + and - of coil and the two wires to the dizzy and grounded the system. I altered a non-roadster base plate to mount the dizzy housing for proper alignment and clearance.

I hope some people show interest in the EI coversion. I will help anyone how ever I can but I don't plan on producing a Dizzy to sell, I'm just sharing my accomplishment so other may do the same. Bill