Drippy Carb Question

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

oscilloscope
Roadster Nut

Drippy Carb Question

Post by oscilloscope »

Hello Everybody!

I am getting a bit of oil leaking from the bottom of my carbs. If you put you finger under the choke/nozzle as if to push it up to turn the chokes off, you come away with a drop of oil on your finger.

It is very little oil - not much gets on the frame at all. What could be causing this? Is it something I should be concerned about (other than that it gums up my chokes after several months)?

Thanks for the info!
1968 1600 - Not running yet.
1967 1600 - Runs - currently doing body work.
1966 1600 - Parts... or racecar???
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

Shouldn't be a problem other than gumming them up. How is the dash pot oil? That is just about where it has to come from. If they are over filled that may be causing the problem. Are you sure it isn't drying gas? If the engine is spitting back it could be gas and carbon. Or if the float bowls are set high it might be leaking some.

keith
oscilloscope
Roadster Nut

Post by oscilloscope »

Thanks for the info, Keith! I don't think that it is dashpot oil, because the dashpot oil is really clean and red, and the drip is black. I guess the dashpot oil could be getting filthy as it works its way through the carbs.

So you don't think that it could be engine oil? Is there any way it could be spitting out through the intake manifold?

Thanks again...
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

If it's spitting engine oil out of the intake you've got a big problem :shock: . It might be some blow by coming out of the valve cover breather. This mixed with a little gas and a little random dirt would be black. The stuff spitting back through the carb is likely to be loaded with carbon from unburned fuel, more black stuff. Is the inside of the carb carboned up? A good cleaning and carb adjustment might be in order.

keith
oscilloscope
Roadster Nut

Post by oscilloscope »

Thanks again for the tips, Keith. Yeah - oil would be pretty tragic, huh?

The carbs were really badly gummed up. I couldn't get the pistons to lift or budge and took them off to do a complete extraction and cleaning. The butterflies were also completely stuck and wouldn't let the engine decelerate. Everything is clean and great now.

I'll just keep an eye on things and make sure that I keep everything clean.

Thanks!!!