Oil pressure Gauge - low oil pressure at hot idle

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Erock311
Roadster Newby

Re: Oil pressure Gauge - low oil pressure at hot idle

Post by Erock311 »

As far as the oil press. sender goes, see my post on 6/24/20 (oil pressure really low-part 2) , it covers some of this topic. I repaired mine (not for the faint of heart!) during covid shutdown (was bored, needed a challenge!) and the gauge read low anyway. Otherwise new one is roadster only (not 240Z) On gauge working on start position, not on run pos., try to check 12V supply to gauge, maybe ign. sw. issue? My experiences are w/ a 1966, 67 1/2 may be slightly different. Since repairing sender, testing ,and driving, gauge has worked as well as can be expected ( for electric oil gauge), will go up to 45-55 psi (approx) depending on conditions.
SP3
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SP3 »

Adding to the list ‘67.5 1600 car’s experiencing the erratic/inop oil pressure gauge function. Have similar experience to @bajaroadster and @Gregs672000. I replaced the sender with new unit and best I got was gauge would move all the way over to right upon turning ignition to Run. When car started it would slowly return to zero and most times stays at zero now.

Grounded the Sender wire at engine and gauge needle swept all the way to right. Supposedly confirming the gauge is operational.

Also replaced the voltage regulator on steering column with a know working one from a ‘67.5, cleaned mating surface/paint where VR mounts and good and tight.
Gladisco
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Gladisco »

Guy wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:25 pm Oil leak was a result of disconnecting the oil line to the gauge during the swap.

Bled the oil line connection at gauge, under the dash...not that hard to do. 13 mm wrench and determination.

2 to 3 second delay on oil reaching the gauge. immediate 8 to 10 lb improvement in oil pressure reading.

Hot idle oil pressure reading improved from 0 to +/- 8LB at 900 RPM
I have a ‘68 and am trying to track down an oil leak from what I assume is the back of the gauge, perhaps between the hard line(s)? Does anyone have a picture or layout of this line, I am having a hard time seeing it yet alone fixing it. The footwell is super slick, carpet is out, and I have stained more then one pair of pants at the ankles where it drips during drives. I have fixed race style Corbeau seats the po installed which I am pulling this weekend to try to get after it.